Manager or the Squad

DCJonah

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

So say we stay up, by some mad act of god.

You think we'd be fine next year if we just changed the manager? Let's say we even keep Jack.

No we would need a new manger and more players with Prem experience not easy 

7 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

How were we made to look stupid in the league cup final? We played one of the best teams in the world and lost by one goal.

One of their goals was scored from a corner that was never a corner in the first place. Their keeper made an outrageous save to avoid the game going to extra time.

Sometimes when I read some of the things on here I wonder what people expect and start to see where this impression other fans have of Villa fans being entitled comes from. 

I actually forgot about the ghost corner but yeah some people have unrealistic expectations. If a 2-1 defeat to City makes us look stupid then imagine what the other defeats are described as

• Thanks 1

If we go down it is because of Dean. I like Dean but his man management and in game coaching are really poor.

Just a couple here:

If we are playing targett he needs to be overlapping out wide to get crosses into the box. If he isn't he is worthless because he just loses the ball and is a shit defender, which is all he has been doing since the restart. He is telling targett not to do what made him look good in the first place. 

Mcginn basically plays as a 2nd striker right now despite him being much better as a box to box midfielder who receives the ball deep and pushed it upfield. He also never receives the ball so is anonymous in most games. His high up the field pressing allows him to be easily bypassed which leads to goals as he is a very good defender when playing team defense. He has told mcginn to play this role. 

El Ghazi, Trez, Davis and Samatta. Where are the runs in behind not only are these runs dangerous but they draw defenders away which will give jack more space to work his magic. In stead I don't remember a successful run in behind since Wesley's injury and El ghazi getting lucky that John stones is shit. This is down to coaching he should be encouraging frequent runs. 

Our entire midfield and defense are static we move and and pass the ball very slowly. Our midfielders are never an option when we have the ball so we have to just give it to Jack and hope he does something. But because our midfield doesn't move they can be marked out of the game by one player and the rest of their team can focus on jack. This is on Smith not drilling the basics into the team. 

• Like 1

Looking at Sheffield United, I would say their squad is arguably in the bottom 3 of the league, and they certainly don't have any players of the caliber of grealish or Luiz. Yet they are 7th and we are 18th. That is the difference a good manager with a quality system makes. The issue with all the managers we have had since O'Neil is that they didn't have any system so we we were never consistent in anything we did. From game to game and it tells. Some games we look like we could be challenging for Europe (although those games are a lot more scarce as the season went on) in others we were played off the pitch by Bournemouth and Southhampton. 

32 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Looking at Sheffield United, I would say their squad is arguably in the bottom 3 of the league, and they certainly don't have any players of the caliber of grealish or Luiz. Yet they are 7th and we are 18th. That is the difference a good manager with a quality system makes. The issue with all the managers we have had since O'Neil is that they didn't have any system so we we were never consistent in anything we did. From game to game and it tells. Some games we look like we could be challenging for Europe (although those games are a lot more scarce as the season went on) in others we were played off the pitch by Bournemouth and Southhampton. 

And here is further proof that the manager makes ALL the difference.

When P. Lambert was in charge,we had: In defence,N Baker,R,Dunne and Vlaar

In the  Midfield.we had: Allbrighton,Delph Petrov and S.Ireland

In the frwards we had: Gabby,Bent and Benteke.

And what did we win under Lambert,sweet FA.A team like that with a decent manager would surely win something. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

And what did we win under Lambert,sweet FA.A team like that with a decent manager would surely win something. 

Not sure if being serious.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure if being serious.

Yes,I am.Surley a squad like that should have won something,even a league cup final FFS.

Vlaar  Delph  Allbrighton   Petrov and Gabby  Bent and Benteke. 

Guzan, Baker, Clark, Lowton, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Bacuna 😂 our squad was absolute dog shit and he somehow kept us up for 2 seasons.

Delph became a proper player in Lambo's 3rd season, especially when Sherwood took charge. Benteke was good. Gabby was ok. Weimann was bang average at best. (Weimann is a Championship player today)

I don't think there is much between the 2 squads but i'd rank our current squad higher.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Guzan, Baker, Clark, Lowton, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Bacuna 😂 our squad was absolute dog shit and he somehow kept us up for 2 seasons.

Delph became a proper player in Lambo's 3rd season, especially when Sherwood took charge. Benteke was good. Gabby was ok. Weimann was bang average at best. (Weimann is a Championship player today)

I don't think there is much between the 2 squads but i'd rank our current squad higher.

Benteke was good is a bit of an understatement. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Delph became a proper player in Lambo's 3rd season, especially when Sherwood took charge. Benteke was good. Gabby was ok. Weimann was bang average at best.

I remember when Guzan won our Player of the season, the same season as Benteke's debut season.

That was the moment I realized Player of the year awards meant nothing. I swear, people purposely avoid voting for the obvious option just because it makes them seem hipster or something. Like when Mcginn won player of the season last year. Look, Mcginn was a beast but trying to say he was more integral to our squad last season than Grealish is a massive **** stretch.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yeah Jack is very good too. Doesn't seem to help us staying up.

Jack is good but a striker scoring 19 league goals is always going to make a major difference to a team 

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Jack is good but a striker scoring 19 league goals is always going to make a major difference to a team 

It's a team game.

Benteke can't win anything on his own. It's his teammates who provided the chances for him.

We were a better coached team under Lambert as much as you don't want to admit it.

Also. Lambert is the one that spotted Benteke and also found gems like Lowton and Westwood. But i'm sure you won't give him any credit for that.

Edited by villalad21

Sheffield United are where they are because of continuity. Norwich were the same when Lambert took them up and look what happened to him.

Smith hasn't had that luck at Villa. He's had to rebuild a whole new team for multiple reasons and it hasn't worked out. If we stayed up this season and added a few decent summer signings there's no way we'd be in the same situation next season. 

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Sheffield United are where they are because of continuity. Norwich were the same when Lambert took them up and look what happened to him.

Smith hasn't had that luck at Villa. He's had to rebuild a whole new team for multiple reasons and it hasn't worked out. If we stayed up this season and added a few decent summer signings there's no way we'd be in the same situation next season. 

Continuity won't work just for the sake of it. The manager have to actually be good enough.

You can give Pardew a 10 year contract for the sake of "continuity" but it won't do you any good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

except Lambert never managed Dunne and Petrov for a game and kicked out Ireland, Albrigton and Bent

Good point though whatever it was

8 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Sheffield United are getting relegated next season though. They have done a great job but have reached the peak. They have a unique style but after year of studying it then its found out

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sheffield United are getting relegated next season though. They have done a great job but have reached the peak. They have a unique style but after year of studying it then its found out

Has it? They beat the spurs 3-1 and with another year in the prem I expect a huge amount of investment next summer at the very least in a striker. They also have made astute signings like sander berge who is going to be class. They probably won't finish in Europe again at least for a while but they are too well coached to be relegated. 

Â