Our strongest team

sir_gary_cahill

What do other posters think is our strongest team? From the current squad, here’s mine:

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Nakamba Drinkwater

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish

Subs: Reina, Elmohamady, Konsa, Taylor, Trezeguet, Wesley, Davis

I know I’ll get abuse for putting Drinkwater in but he’s great on the ball and has experience of playing in the Premier League, very few of our squad actually have that. I think that side gives our squad the best balance and a platform from which to build from

• Like 1

Our strongest team currently doesn't really matter as I doubt we'll be playing any more "real" games this season, if any at all.

For next season I think we have 5 starters (Grealish very possibly leaving) and 6 places where at least a few needs upgrading at. 

Heaton

Guilbert  Konsa  Mings Targett

Nakamba

McGinn     Luiz

El Ghazi                        Grealish

Samatta

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Our strongest team currently doesn't really matter as I doubt we'll be playing any more "real" games this season, if any at all.

For next season I think we have 5 starters (Grealish very possibly leaving) and 6 places where at least a few needs upgrading at. 

Heaton

Nakamba

McGinn     Luiz

Samatta

You’d play Konsa ahead of Engels? I think Konsa is great but he’s young. I also think that this season has shown that Nakamba and Luiz don’t work together in the same midfield. Individually, they are good players though. When Luiz and Nakamba play together in the same midfield, there isn’t enough creativity I don’t think 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

You’d play Konsa ahead of Engels? I think Konsa is great but he’s young. I also think that this season has shown that Nakamba and Luiz don’t work together in the same midfield. Individually, they are good players though. When Luiz and Nakamba play together in the same midfield, there isn’t enough creativity I don’t think 

No I'd sign a more experienced CB and rotate with Konsa and Engels as back up.

And no Id bring in a new CM and have either Nakamba or Luiz or both on the bench. 

The color coding is the a hint. Purple is starters, blue is rotation players.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

No I'd sign a more experienced CB and rotate with Konsa and Engels as back up.

And no Id bring in a new CM and have either Nakamba or Luiz or both on the bench. 

The color coding is the a hint. Purple is starters, blue is rotation players.

What would happen to Hause? Who would you sign to play at centre back and central defensive midfield? 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What would happen to Hause? Who would you sign to play at centre back and central defensive midfield? 

Don't know on either, remains to be seen. Too much uncertainty currently. 

Sure some names will pop up in the transfer thread.

• Thanks 1

I’m not going to advance  a preferred starting 11 as there are too many variables as things currently stand. What I will say is that the break in play came at a good time for us, and should perhaps help us more than other clubs. IF play starts up to finish this season then we have players in McGinniesta & Drinkwater who were/would have been off the pace in March, but they will now be much closer to the levels of match fitness as everyone else. Grealish also has had the time to refresh and shake off the mini slumber that I think he’d gone into. The cup final loss will be well out of the system. I personally would be quite confident of winning the points required to finish 14th or 15th if football starts up again. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Heaton

Nakamba

McGinn     Luiz

Samatta

I'd prefer to see Wesley and Samatta up top and Grealish in support, El Ghazi on the bench.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd prefer to see Wesley and Samatta up top and Grealish in support, El Ghazi on the bench.

From what I've seen of Wesley so far I don't rate him, but even so the last I saw he was still walking with a cane and had just started light jogging so I imagine he's at least 4-6 months away from being considered a starting option.

Edited by sne
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

From what I've seen of Wesley so far I don't rate him, but even so the last I saw he was still walking with a cane and had just started light jobbing so I imagine he's at least 4-6 months away from being considered a starting option.

True, I should've clarified this was a hypothetical.

I think if Wesley improves and Samatta too they could be very good upfront.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

From what I've seen of Wesley so far I don't rate him, but even so the last I saw he was still walking with a cane and had just started light jobbing so I imagine he's at least 4-6 months away from being considered a starting option.

What was he lightly disposing of? And what does it have to do with his fitness 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What do other posters think is our strongest team? From the current squad, here’s mine:

Heaton

McGinn Nakamba Drinkwater

Subs: Reina, Elmohamady, Konsa, Taylor, Trezeguet, Wesley, Davis

I know I’ll get abuse for putting Drinkwater in but he’s great on the ball and has experience of playing in the Premier League, very few of our squad actually have that. I think that side gives our squad the best balance and a platform from which to build from

Heaton

McGinn  Drinkwater Luiz

Similar to @sne's team too. FWIW I think Luiz and Guilbert will prove themselves worthy starters, as will Engels. El Ghazi might, but I'm not so confident.

31 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Heaton

McGinn  Drinkwater Luiz

Similar to @sne's team too. FWIW I think Luiz and Guilbert will prove themselves worthy starters, as will Engels. El Ghazi might, but I'm not so confident.

I think we have good options on the bench like Konsa, we’re building a good Premier League squad. Why aren’t you confident about El Ghazi? I think he’ll be a good Premier League player for us. He was relatively cheap at £9m too

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we have good options on the bench like Konsa, we’re building a good Premier League squad. Why aren’t you confident about El Ghazi? I think he’ll be a good Premier League player for us. He was relatively cheap at £9m too

As confident in comparison to the other three players mentioned given what they have shown already. I think El Ghazi was an excellent purchase and bit of business. Unfortunately that won't make him a player that we can depend on to fulfill the role required of him to an adequate standard more weeks than not. Do I think he's a 30+ game PL player? Not yet.

45 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

As confident in comparison to the other three players mentioned given what they have shown already. I think El Ghazi was an excellent purchase and bit of business. Unfortunately that won't make him a player that we can depend on to fulfill the role required of him to an adequate standard more weeks than not. Do I think he's a 30+ game PL player? Not yet.

I think we can rely on him to be a regular Premier League starter, he’s got a good pedigree. He’s played in the Champion’s League for Ajax and internationally for Holland

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we can rely on him to be a regular Premier League starter, he’s got a good pedigree. He’s played in the Champion’s League for Ajax and internationally for Holland

2 games, 5 years ago.

He has not developed into the player he showed promise to be when he was a kid. Still only 25 so still time to improve but he's supposed to enter his prime and he has a long way to go IMO.

1 minute ago, sne said:

2 games, 5 years ago.

He has not developed into the player he showed promise to be when he was a kid. Still only 25 so still time to improve but he's supposed to enter his prime and he has a long way to go IMO.

To play for an esteemed national side like Holland is a great achievement, think of some of the great players that have played for them in the past. Hopefully, he’ll spend his prime years at Villa then

42 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

To play for an esteemed national side like Holland is a great achievement, think of some of the great players that have played for them in the past. Hopefully, he’ll spend his prime years at Villa then

Holland havent played an international tournament since 2014, one of the worst generations they have ever had

Â