Our strongest team

sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

From what I’ve seen of Samatta so far, I think he would be wasted on the wing

I dont intend that front 3 as a flat 3 with the outer players wide.

Any of those players could take up wide positions, any could drop deep and rotate, 2 deep one forward, 2 forward one deep, rotate wide.

Just look at liverpool, they have a front 3, none of which are out and out wingers, they are just 3 very good players who can interchange and do what is needed, whether that be out wide, central, or deeper.

Yeah that front 3 isnt liverpool's front 3, but samatta could drift central, wesley would likely naturally drop deep, grealish could drift, wesley could go forward and samatta drift wide, grealish could go wide, deep or central.

My point is, dont get hung up on a flat 3, think more about what each player could do in terms of fluidity and playing to assist each other.

Also inthink giving wesley the chance to have players close to him, as well as players like samatta and grealish beyond him would probably bring the nest out of him, like the last game before his injury, he played really well when we got players in and around him so he could drop deeper and play off people.

Dont forget McGinn actually likes to drift wide, so as others tuck in McGinn could offer overload out wide.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

Nyland

Konsa          Engels        Mings

Guilbert             Nkamba    McGinn         Targett

Grealish        

Samatta       Davis

You’d have Nyland over Heaton?

28 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

And Reina?

To be fair though Nyland really rose to the occasion when called upon in his last outings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

And Reina?

To be fair though Nyland really rose to the occasion when called upon in his last outings.

He did but I don’t think he’s better than Heaton though 

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I must admit I thought this was players who were currently fit and available, so discounted Heaton straight away.

But even then, I'm not sure if Heaton will be the same after his (I am presuming) ACL reconstruction.

And I keep thinking about some of the Nyland saves in the home semi against Leicester and I'm not sure Heaton would have made them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picking Nyland ahead of Heaton based on a couple of good games this season is just wrong. His sample size this season is so incredibly low.

And also don't forget the shocker of a game he had against City. Conceding 6 goals, 2 of them he got beaten to his near post. Nyland is inconsistent at best.

Heaton every day of the week. I also fully expect Steer to be our number 2 when he returns.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Picking Nyland ahead of Heaton based on a couple of good games this season is just wrong. His sample size this season is so incredibly low.

And also don't forget the shocker of a game he had against City. Conceding 6 goals, 2 of them he got beaten to his near post. Nyland is inconsistent at best.

Heaton every day of the week. I also fully expect Steer to be our number 2 when he returns.

Yet your famous quote around Christmas was Nyland was better than Heaton 🤔

-----------------------------Heaton-----------------------------

Guilbert---Engels----------------Mings------Targett

---------------------------Nakamba----------------------------

------Grealish-------Hourihane------McGinn---------

------------------Wesley------------Sama--------------------

Reina, Konsa, Hause, Luiz, ELG, Trez, Davis

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

-----------------------------Heaton-----------------------------

Guilbert---Engels----------------Mings------Targett

---------------------------Nakamba----------------------------

------Grealish-------Hourihane------McGinn---------

------------------Wesley------------Sama--------------------

Reina, Konsa, Hause, Luiz, ELG, Trez, Davis

You’d play Hourihane in our strongest team?

So what is our GK situation should the season against all odds restart? (it won't)

• Heaton still injured not likely to be back in match fitness in a while
  • Kalinic still injured and out on loan
  • Reina recovered from Covid-19, but is he fully recovered? And his loan ends on 30/6
  • Steer, is he back from injury yet?
  • Örjan Nyland, he's fit right?
  • Sarkic, he's recalled right? But is out of contract on 30/6?

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

In that formation, yup. He's a threat and can score/assist.

I think you’re right but his general play is nowhere near as good as McGinn’s or Grealish’s, then again not many are

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you’re right but his general play is nowhere near as good as McGinn’s or Grealish’s, then again not many are

Not at all, but sitting him in between them with Nakamba behind him, he's well covered and can ping passes knowing he's in a 'safe zone'

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Not at all, but sitting him in between them with Nakamba behind him, he's well covered and can ping passes knowing he's in a 'safe zone'

I wouldn’t want to just accommodate him, I just don’t think he is Premier League quality, just good Championship 

23 minutes ago, sne said:

So what is our GK situation should the season against all odds restart? (it won't)

• Heaton still injured not likely to be back in match fitness in a while
  • Kalinic still injured and out on loan
  • Reina recovered from Covid-19, but is he fully recovered? And his loan ends on 30/6
  • Steer, is he back from injury yet?
  • Örjan Nyland, he's fit right?
  • Sarkic, he's recalled right? But is out of contract on 30/6?

As things stand Nyland would be my 1st choice. Heaton & Steer both out with injury/fitness, Reina frankly an accident waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think they still have a great reputation worldwide as a footballing nation 

You're talking about their whole history, but the fact is El-Ghazi made 2 appearances during a time when Holland were a terrible team...

Edited by Villan_of_oz

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You're talking about their whole history, but the fact is El-Ghazi made 2 appearances during a time when Holland were a terrible team...

I think it shows how good you have to be to play for them 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it shows how good you have to be to play for them 

but they were terrible when he got capped.

Like saying some fisherman from Iceland was brilliant in the 70s because he won 2 caps when they are only a good team now

Â