Our strongest team

sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Just out of curiosity how would you improve our 25 man squad and starting 11 going into next season?

Provided we are not relegated.

Buy a winger that can compete with El Ghazi and Grealish, preferably one that can play both sides, buy a central midfielder that can dictate play from deep (a younger Drinkwater) and buy a centre back that can play next to Mings, you?

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Buy a winger that can compete with El Ghazi and Grealish, preferably one that can play both sides, buy a central midfielder that can dictate play from deep (a younger Drinkwater) and buy a centre back that can play next to Mings, you?

And which players will you ship out?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

And which players will you ship out?

How would you improve the squad? None of them, we have to build a squad, none of them have flopped massively in my opinion, you?

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

How would you improve the squad? None of them, we have to build a squad, none of them have flopped massively in my opinion, you?

Again, which players would you replace, we can register a 25 man squad.

Just wondering because in pretty much every single player thread where someone has said they feel a player needs upgrading on you state that they are good enough for us. (apart from Grealish).

Someone has to leave if someone new is to come in.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Just wondering because in pretty much every single player thread where someone has said they feel a player needs upgrading on you state that they are good enough for us. (apart from Grealish).

We need to stay up first and then we can crack on. Possibly Jota could leave and Hourihane too, who do you think should leave in order for someone to come in?

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We need to stay up first and then we can crack on. Possibly Jota could leave and Hourihane too, who do you think should leave in order for someone to come in?

As I said on page 1 in this thread I think we have 5 players who are currently good enough to be regular starters in the PL. A few more who can be rotation players and who might improve enough to become starters with a bit of luck. Someone out of Luiz, Nakamba, Guilbert or even Targett, Konsa/Engels or El Ghazi might.  Doubt we can hope for more than 1 or at best 2 of those having such big leap of improvement as soon as next season. Some of them will need to be moved to the bench and improved upon.

Players like Jota, Lansbury, Taylor, Kalinic have no place in a second season PL squad. And the likes of Elmo, Hourihane and Hause are also doubtful but we can't replace the whole team again.

Loan players will go back to their clubs and I'm happy to keep any of our youth players (O'Hare, Davis, Green) who are still young enough to not be counted in the 25 man squad and perhaps loan some of them out.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Don’t forget that a number of players can be registered with the U23s, and so we aren’t strictly limited to 25 man squads. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Don’t forget that a number of players can be registered with the U23s, and so we aren’t strictly limited to 25 man squads. 

21 or younger the year the season starts or have they changed that?

SO O'Hare, Davis, Konsa and Green still OK?

Luiz count as homegrown? Surely not if we need a WP?

I know we won't hear during the lock-down but are Heaton and Wesley back to full training yet? I was going to say full fitness but I don't think any player will come back fully fit. For me if those two are back our strongest 11 is:

Heaton

Guillbert Konsa Mings Hause Targett

Grealish Nakemba McGinn

Wesley Samatta

We've played the best football in 4-3-3

....................Heaton....................

Elmo....Engels..Mings........Targett

....................Nakamba....................

................Luiz.......McGinn..............

El Ghazi..........Samatta.......Jack

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We've played the best football in 4-3-3

....................Heaton....................

Elmo....Engels..Mings........Targett

....................Nakamba....................

................Luiz.......McGinn..............

El Ghazi..........Samatta.......Jack

I think you are right, I’d drop Elmo for Guilbert though and you’re on to a winner

9 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I know we won't hear during the lock-down but are Heaton and Wesley back to full training yet? I was going to say full fitness but I don't think any player will come back fully fit. For me if those two are back our strongest 11 is:

Heaton

Guillbert Konsa Mings Hause Targett

Grealish Nakemba McGinn

Wesley Samatta

Both in light training but miles off competitive games , if season drags out into late July maybe a chance for them but not counting on it.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not a fan of Guilbert but i respect your opinion.

What don’t you like about him? Personally, I think he’s had a good season, particularly early on in the season and I like his looks and body 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

What don’t you like about him? Personally, I think he’s had a good season, particularly early on in the season and I like his looks and body 

He can't cross.

Inconsistent.

He get a lot of yellow cards because he finds himself on the floor all the time, i prefer defenders who stay on their feet.

Also i don't think his English is very good and i question his ability to communicate well with the rest of the defence.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He can't cross.

Inconsistent.

He get a lot of yellow cards because he finds himself on the floor all the time, i prefer defenders who stay on their feet.

Also i don't think his English is very good and i question his ability to communicate well with the rest of the defence.

Ok, I can understand that and see where you’re coming from but I think he’s quite tough, that’s why he gets a lot of yellow cards. He’s a bit of a throwback in that respect 

He speaks English well enough, there is a 10 minute interview with him on our official site, it’s good viewing (not just for his looks)

Â