The value of managers

Bugzy1991

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Ranier won the Premier League.

So one season means more than every other season where he sucked? 

Was he a genius for 1 year he managed to over achieve... And then after he just forgot how to be a football manager? 

Can't tell if you guys are being serious giving this guy credit for this lol. 

Just now, Bugzy1991 said:

And how much was that down to him? Do you think? 

I don't know how you quantify such a thing, so I don't really know how to answer that.

I know that he certainly didn't have nothing to do with it, otherwise why even bother having a manager?

I simply disagreed with the insinuation in your post that Ranieri DIDN'T overachieve with Leicester by winning the Premier League with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Was he a genius for 1 year he managed to over achieve... And then after he just forgot how to be a football manager? 

Seriously, what are you actually on about? :D 

Why are you throwing straw men around. Nobody has called Ranieri a genius except you.

All anyone is saying is that he deserves credit and he overachieved by winning the **** Premier League with **** Leicester City.

I don't think that's a particularly crazy thing to suggest!

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't know how you quantify such a thing, so I don't really know how to answer that.

I know that he certainly didn't have nothing to do with it, otherwise why even bother having a manager?

I simply disagreed with the insinuation in your post that Ranieri DIDN'T overachieve with Leicester by winning the Premier League with them.

He is easily responsibly for less than 3%. Would happily argue less than 1%. Given he's never done that and nobody has or will overachieve like that again. 

Sorry I used 0% 

Maybe I should say 0.5% 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

So why have Leicester not won the Premier League since?

He is easily responsibly for less than 3%. Would happily argue less than 1%. Given he's never done that and nobody has or will overachieve like that again. 

Sorry I used 0% 

Maybe I should say 0.5% 

Can you show your workings?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Seriously, what are you actually on about? :D 

Why are you throwing straw men around. Nobody has called Ranieri a genius except you.

All anyone is saying is that he deserves credit and he overachieved by winning the **** Premier League with **** Leicester City.

I don't think that's a particularly crazy thing to suggest!

Because If you think a manager is capable of achieving that much, he must be a genius. 

I never said you guys claim that he is a genius ;) 

Edited by Bugzy1991

Because If you think a manager is capable of achieving that much, he must be a genius. 

I never said you guys claim that ;)

But he DID achieve it. He won the league. What are you talking about? :) 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Can you show your workings?

Haha can you show me your workings that he has a influence over a team ? 

500-1 bookies that they will win the league. 

What was the odds next season?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But he DID achieve it. He won the league. What are you talking about? :) 

We're talking about his influence over it. Keep up. What is his influence over the team . What are you talking about? :)

Honestly amazed you guys think ranieri had a lot of influence with Leicester team winning the league. It's so low its silly. Managers have a super low influence on a team overall.  

And you're claiming a manager like ranieri has an influence to over achieve like 14 places in one season. It's madness. Why don't every team in the world hire him if he's capable of doing that. Maybe it's due to external factors out of his control 

14 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Sorry I used 0% 

Maybe I should say 0.5% 

I absolutely love the spurious precision here. I'd be fascinated for you to explain, in detail, what the difference looks like between a manager having 3% of the effect of a team winning the league versus having 1% or 0.5% of the effect. 

Please don't feel the need to hold back, I'm truly fascinated to see your workings here. To see the mechanism that makes you so confident in this difference. 

This has the potential to change how everybody sees the skill of management! 

• Like 2

The dude's 29 and is trying to quantify how much influence a manager has on a team over an entire season, in a season in which they beat 5000-1 odds as a percentage. 

I'd just leave him to it tbh, ain't no chance with that :lol:  

19 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Haha can you show me your workings that he has a influence over a team ? 

He won the league with a team that were 5000-1 outsiders at the start of the season.

Your turn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not like last time. 

Last time we went down as one of the worst teams in prem history and had to rebuild an entire squad. 

This year we will maybe lose 3 players

Most of VT spent the summer high fiving each other 'cos we spent £140m on players and were going to take the PL by storm. We could well finish in the bottom 2 places.

Just can't take anything for granted. Take our 1 star player out of the side add a dash of players who don't want to be there and you've got another recipe for disaster.

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, sne said:

I liked the " It will be good for us to go down and spend 1 season in the Championship to rebuild our squad"

Legendary piece of absolute nonsense. 4 years on and the squad is still so very much in the start of the rebuilding process. 

And if we went down again we'd have to start from scratch once again.

I  assume we'd have little to no FFP headroom (unless we made a fortune from Jack).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like he's going to get up & nut him about 58 secs in, proper angry death stare which you don't really see from Bruce very often

I think Villa fans would have respected him more if he nutted Gregg Evans 😂😂

Â