What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

I'm gettin a new wok soon, so expect some ring burning curries

Got mynew wok last week and tonight broke it in with a jalfrezi with extra chillies

iaopfaach.jpg

BTW the container on the left is the portion I have to take out for my sister and her old man, they HATE chilli or anything hot, so I take theirs out before adding the heat

Ohhhh thats a ring stinger

Nah, doesn't affect me. Don't forget I used to have curry 5 nights a week so I'm immune to the ringburn. Having it once a week now is childs play

In fact having a Sunday roast sends me to the shitters more than a vindaloo

A taxi driver said to me that us English make hard work of curries, he recommended a spice mix similar to gara masala called Kashmiri Bassar.

Soften the onions and garlic in a pan and add half a tin of tomatoes, add a spoonful of the Bassar, some fresh ginger and coriander. I was using chicken but as he suspected it was water fed told me to boil it in a pan of water as it draws all the crap out, I added the meat and it was one of the tastiest curries I have had, couple of mates said it was the best. it took all of half hour to prepare and cook.

I can't believe this is the first time I have read this thread as I love my cooking, me and my MD have a competition on the go at the moment where we choose two dishes each and cook them over the 4 weeks with everybody at work scoring. I love it as I have whipped his ass two weeks on the trot now and he has had cooking lessons of some of the best and only eats out at Mitchelin star places :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Rob, I know you have posted your curry recipes on here before, but can't seem to find them! Would love to cook a chicken jalfrezi but never been too successful!

It's never easy to put recipes on here as I NEVER measure stuff, I just put in what I "know"

But anyway, done a Jalfrezi tonight...

3 large onions, chopped in a blender

Fry onions in oil, add as much garlic as you like (I used 3 frozen blocks of Cofresh garlic which equates to 6-9 cloves)

Add ginger, stir fry til nice and brown

Add black pepper and cloves/cinnamon powder (I make this from grinding cinnamon sticks and cloves in a grinder)

Add a splash of coriander cumin and garam masala powder, stir fry. Add water if it gets too dry

Add some fresh or dried methi.

Add turmeric and as much chilli as you dare, stir fry

Add a couple of raw chicken breasts, diced. Stir fry til the chicken is cooked.

Add 1 500g carton of passatta, a bit of salt, and a liberal sprinkle of sugar.

Add a half of each pepper, red, green and yellow.

Simmer.

You should end up with this:

jalfrezi_001e8e.JPG

Vegetable Soup:

Cut all the veg into roughly the same size pieces.

Melt a little butter in a little Olive Oil in a large pan. You don't need much & keep the heat gentle. You're not browning, just sweating.

Add the root vegetables like onions, potatoes, carrots, swede etc & let these gently "sweat" in the pan for a few minutes, adding any other veg like celery, leeks whatever a little later. Chuck in anything you have in the fridge.

Season with salt & pepper & leave to sweat a few minutes on a gentle heat with the lid on stirring sometimes.

Add some mixed dried or fresh herbs. Parsley & Rosemary are espiecially good.. also a bay leaf or two torn to bring out the flavour.

Stir till all coated & the aroma fills the kitchen.

When the veg is starting to soften then add enough vegetable or chicken stock to more than cover the veg and also I add Marmite, Worcester sauce etc but whatever you like that's in the cupboard.

Pearl Barley, Lentils & other pulses can be added to thicken the soup also but potatoes will also thicken.

A soup boiled is a soup spoiled, so gently leave the soup to simmer stirring sometimes & making sure it's not sticking. Add more stock/water as necessary. Taste to adjust seasonings & flavourings.

If you've got any green veg like peas, spinach, etc that don't need much cooking then these can be added towards the end.

Once the veg is softened, then either mash the veg in the stock for a rougher finish... or if you like it smooth whisk it in the pan with a hand blender or transfer to a blender. You can add milk or cream to the soup at this stage to create a lovely creamy vegetable soup.

Serve with some grated black pepper on top to suit, a swirl of cream (optional) & Serve with crusty wholemeal bread (warmed in the oven)

& cheese if you have any & Voila you have healthy, filling food which is cheap and uses up stuff that might otherwise end up thrown away.

Keeps in the fridge for a few days and you can also freeze it in single portions to use as you wish, but don't add milk or cream before freezing if possible.

Hope that helps.

Â