What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Manual_Coffee_Grinder.jpg

I'd much prefer to have one of the above in my kitchen than have some polished steel anonymous blob like what I'm seeing in the google searches.

Well, taste is personal, and that style isn't my taste.

More to the point, the awkward lever and handle looks like it's not going to deal with a lot of use. It looks decorative rather than functional. I agree with Rob's comment about electric grinders.

Our coffee grinder that we used for spices died a few months ago, and we spent ages looking for a replacement.

We eventually got this, against my better judgement, as I had looked at it in the shop and moved on, only to find that she had gone to the same shop at another time and bought it.

It's pig ugly, but lives in a cupboard. It does the job. Only problem is that if you hear it straining, it means there's something like a cinnamon stick caught under the blade, and you need to unplug and free it manually or else you will burn out the motor. Not a common occurrence, just one to be aware of.

Brian get an electric coffee grinder, I would grind the spices in that, tip them out into a bowel mix with your pre ground spices like smoked paprika and while the onions are cooking I'd blend the ginger and garlic in the same coffee grinder as the small space makes a lovely paste.

I now have 3 food processors of different sizes so only use the coffee grinder for spices and err coffee beans. But it served me really well making that ginger garlic paste.

Also a curry of mine, kind of like a variant on a lamb madras, cooked at 150C in the oven for two hours with coconut milk (or if I've time real coconut blended with water = coconut milk).

Basically just onion, ginger, garlic, cooked on the hob with a few cloves, cardamon pods & bay leaf for 10 mins, then add ground coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, mace, turmeric, fennel seeds (half tsp) and a little cayenne chilli.

Fry spices for 2 mins, crank up the heat and throw in the lamb, fry for 5 mins and stir to make sure the lamb gets coated and nothing sticks and burns on the bottom. Throw in can of coconut milk (no light sh1t) stir and bring to a simmer.

Then transfer to an ovenproof dish (I start it all in the wok) bang in the oven and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 150C, depending on the size of the meat. You can return it to the hob and cook off some of the liquid to get the sauce the right consistency, stir in some garam masala and some chopped coriander before serving.

It is so so tasty and even better the next day reheated.

Also Brian, best curry book of them all. 50 Great Curries of India by Camellia Panjabi. I have about 15 curry cookbooks and this is the best by a distance.

The first half explains why every ingredient is used, so you know that fennel or tamarind or yoghurt are all souring agents, while onions, coconut milk etc.. are thickening agents. From the knowledge gained reading you can come up with the blend that suites you best. Hence I love my own curries more than any.

Brian get an electric coffee grinder, I would grind the spices in that, tip them out into a bowel ...

No. No, really, don't do that.

Especially if you've invited people round.

EDIT: Totally didn't get that. :oops:

Indeed, spices in the bowel is bad enough when digested..

This is a great thread. When I'm on a computer, I'll post my fajitas recipe. Nothing better than spot-on fajitas.

I haven't had fajitas in ages. Might make some this weekend.

Personally I go through phases of different foods and try perfect a few dishes and then move on to something else. I was cooking italian for most of this year, I've never made so many sauces, perfected some really nice ones. Posted my favourite in this thread somewhere. Back on curries now.

Cheers for the latest curry tip and book Conor :thumb: As for grinding coffee in the same grinder as spices - thankfully I'm not a coffee drinker but I imagine it makes for some interestingly flavoured cups of coffee :lol:

Cheers for the latest curry tip and book Conor :thumb: As for grinding coffee in the same grinder as spices - thankfully I'm not a coffee drinker but I imagine it makes for some interestingly flavoured cups of coffee :lol:

I was thinking the same thing myself. That's why I stick to the ground now. But I'm sure when cleaned well and not letting the coffee or spices linger too long it's fine.

Oh and something I figured out recently, (as in on sunday) never marinade chicken in low fat yogurt, the whole thing will taste bitter. Use greek yogurt or full fat like all the recipe books say, natural yogurt that tastes good on its own.

Anyway I'm going to try making butter chicken this weekend if I can find katuri methi (died fenugreek leaves). Otherwise I might give that beef rendang a go, I haven't done it in awhile and it's seriously tasty.

Oktoberfest and then the match tonight so might be a bit tender tomorrow. Hmmm

I'm at it now Brian, (the magic of the smartphone) having a beer before heading back to work. My building is the big aib building that overlooks the oktoberfest. Now that we're nationalized we're working like public servants. I'll be back over a about five.

I'm at it now Brian, (the magic of the smartphone) having a beer before heading back to work. My building is the big aib building that overlooks the oktoberfest. Now that we're nationalized we're working like public servants. I'll be back over a about five.

Get back to work ...I demand it as im now paying your wages :D

Fantastic beef rendang Don't bother with the salad, and you can eat with normal basmati rice. My lord is this tasty when the beef is cooked right.

That sounds amazing, bar the beef i have all the ingredients as well so will give that a whirl this weekend i reckon.

Thanks

Just made a batch of vegetarian tandoori samosas using quorn mince, my parents don't eat meat.

They actually taste quite decent. But I had to make em with no chilli as the 'rents are wimps where heat is concerned

Â