What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Vegetable samosas, yes.

But quorn mince and no chillis? You should have just made them a nice salad.

I can't help it if they're anti-chilli! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Just bought the curry book for £0.96 used on Amazon. Which becomes £4.90 (€5.60). Still a good deal.

I got 50 great curries of india in Easons, has a dvd which was helpful too.

Well the book arrived yesterday so I've gone out and finally bought a spice grinder (though from looking at it I can't see how it will grind things to be fine enough...).

Also got some fenu greek seeds, garam masala, cumin seeds, extra hot chili powder, fresh ginger & coriander + chapattis. I'm sure I'll need to get some more stuff but at least I'm definitely well on the way to making something from absolute scratch :clap:

Now you've got a grinder you are best buying cumin and coriander seeds, dry roasting them and grinding. Much better colour and flavour than raw powder.

Also, get bags of masala mix, dry roast and grind. Then you can add extra chilli and ginger or cloves, tailor your own garam masala :-)

Typically how long (and how hot) would you roast a seed so that it pops/cooks without burning it? I imagine they're quite a delicate thing and easy to mess up.

Typically how long (and how hot) would you roast a seed so that it pops/cooks without burning it? I imagine they're quite a delicate thing and easy to mess up.

Yes, just as they start to smoke a bit and pop. Bung em in a bowl to cool before grinding

I have an old frying pan I use just for spices

Dry frying pan, medium heat, spread them out in the pan so they are one thin layer, 30 secs-1 min, and watch to see they don't burn. When they are done, get them out of the pan or else the residual heat will continue to cook them.

Food connoisseurs of VT.

Is there any reason why I can't put a puff pastry lid on my traditional fish pie? That means having the mash under the pastry lid?

Only the Mrs seems to think it wouldn't work?

She might be thinking about having the pastry lid on a dry surface instead of the usual moist pie filling, which to be fair does sound as though it might not go that well - two relatively dry textures together.

If you want a puff pastry lid on a fish pie which has mash on top, then I suggest the best way would be to cook the pie with mash topping in your usual manner, cook the pastry lid separately on a baking sheet, and just place it on the pie at the end when both are cooked.

Putting the lid on at the end is how restaurants often do it. The bit that would seem a bit odd is having the mash separating the filling from the pastry. One way round that, if you really want both, would be to cook the pie as normal, then loosen it away from the sides of the bowl, invert it onto a plate, and put the pastry lid on top of that, with the mask on the bottom and the filling in between. Or else put the pastry lid on the plate and serve the pie on it, with the pastry on the bottom and the mash on top. Unconventional, but if it's what you want...

Cinnamon sticks! I'm doing a curry at the moment that involves a 3 inch cinnamon stick. The instructions say to put the mixture into a food processor (incl. cinnamon) until it is a fine texture. But that cinnamon stick is going to break the processor. It needs a hammer and chisel to grind it down, not a blade. Am I doing something wrong or are cinnamon sticks supposed to stay 'complete' and only be taken out after cooking?

My Basic Curry Recipe FWIW:

8 Cloves & 3 Pieces of cinnamon, fry in ghee untill fragrant

3 Onions Finely Diced, add in.

Add, 2 Tsp Salt, 2Tblsp Cumin, 2 Tblsp Garam Massala, 2 Tsp Turmeric, 1 Tsp Chilli Powder

Fry for a bit untill fragrant

Add a blended mixture of Garlic, Ginger and Chillis (Preserved in Olive Oil that my Brother IL kindly makes for me)

Add 1 can of liquidised tomatoes and half a can of water.

Chicken, Lid on, Cook on Low heat for an hour.

Finish with Coriander.

Done

Â