What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Tonight I shall be cooking the other half fillet steak, with a stilton sauce and home made chips, plus a selection of veg. Everything apart from the cheese is local.

league640.jpg

Trational IoM fare then.

I need our American friends to verify that this is NOT available

1248158176157.jpg

I'm guessing that it's a shopped can of Manhattan clam "chowder".

There's only one true clam chowder and it's not that tomato shit that they serve in Noo Yawk (nor is it the semi-related tomato shit that they serve in Rhode Island...)

800px-Quail_07_bg_041506.jpg

(though I must object to the garnish)

I am proud that my tax dollars go to support this :thumb:

And to fit in with the thread:

1970-2592b.jpg

(apologies for the "old money" measurements ;) )

Tonight I shall be cooking the other half fillet steak, with a stilton sauce and home made chips, plus a selection of veg. Everything apart from the cheese is local.

Trational IoM fare then.

Hell yeah, that is good shit. Err, apart from the fact that I don't reckon to fillet steak and wouldn't bother with the sauce. Fillet doesn't have enough fat to give any flavour to my mind. Over-rated and over-priced. Buy ribeye, flash it in a very hot pan then put it in the oven on about 100 degrees whilst you do the veg and chips. When you put the chips in for the second fry take the steak out and place thin sliced Stilton on top. The cheese melts on the steak beautifully.

Alternatively, and this is a particular favourite of mine atm, do broccoli cheese with it. Do it just like cauliflower cheese except use broccoli. **** fantastic.If you really want to push the boat out on the sauce do a broccoli Mornay. Takes a fair bit longer and much more grief but is quality shit.

Other top tip? Make your white-type sauces in the microwave. I never, ever do them in a pot anymore. Glass or plastic bowl in the microwave and a whisk.

Ok, I'm back into Italian mode. Making pasta sauce like a mofo. I've got loads of different variations on a similar tomato sauce, taking not of what changes are good and what's excellent :)

Ok my last batch was pretty damn tasty and here's the recipe. I'd love to try other peoples if they have some good ones.

4 Tins Plum Tomatos, crushed by hand or in a processor, or mashed through a sieve.

2 inch piece of Chorizo, diced

5/6 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 red onion, finely chopped

5-6 anchovies chopped

Juice of half a lemon

two table spoons of tomato puree/paste

lots of fresh basil, say 1 cup, finely chopped.

handful of Fresh oregano, or two spoons of dried will do fine.

2/3 fresh red chilli's finely chopped, (or 1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder)

splash of dark balsamic vineger (could try a glass of red wine instead, which I will be doing tomorrow)

Plenty of black pepper.

Extra virgin olive oil

-Start by sweating the red onion off in olive oil for ten minutes over a medium/low heat.

-Next add the chopped chorizo, garlic, anchovies and chilli and stir for a couple of minutes until the anchovies disolve and the chorizo colours the oil.

-Now add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer,

-Then add 3/4rs of the basil, the oregano, tomato puree, lemon juice, pepper and balsamic, stir well and reduce the heat to low.

-Now cook this for as long as possible (at least an hour and 2 or more if possible),

-Adding some water if the sauce gets too thick and stirring regurlay to stop it sticking on the bottom. When your done stir in the last of the basil.

-For best results, let it cool and put the sauce into containers and let it chill overnight in the fridge. It tastes amazing the next day. It's also perfect for freezing.

So there you go, thought I'd share this recipe with you. It's lovely served with linguini and loads of freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmisan.

A note, if you dont like anchovies dont worry you cannot taste them in the dish they melt into the sauce and without them the sauce is nowhere near as good. If you have only had them on pizza they are nothing like that, try them in the sauce they are the natural salt in the dish. Also it's important to get the best possible tomatoes, paying that bit extra for the name brand tinned tomatoes makes a difference.

I always split it into 5 portions, eat one the day i cook it, put another in the fridge for the next day and freeze the other 3.

You can use the sauce as a base for anything, like fry some peppers and add the sauce to it near the end, or add some fried mince or a tin of tuna for protein.

• 1 month later...

Ok just made a seriously tasty prawn salad from what I had in my fridge, so here we go.

2 red birds eye chilli's finely chopped

2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

12 Sugarsnap peas cut in half

Some Rocket (could use spinach)

1 Lemon

200g cooked prawns (tails on)

6 Cherry tomatos, halved

Some fresh basil

Olive oil

salt and pepper to taste.

Ok start by washing the rocket.

Then put a good glug of the oil in a frying pan over a medium low heat,

add the chopped garlic and chilli and fry for 30 sec

Add the sugar snap peas and fry for 2-3 mins

Add the prawns and stir to coat in the oil

Now great some of the lemon zest into the pan and add a little salt and pepper.

Now tear the basil, mix with the rocket and put in a serving bowl, squeeze over 1/4 of the lemon juice.

When the prawns are heated through (a couple of mins) Add the cherry tomatos to the frying pan and the juice of half the lemon,

stir for 30 seconds and turn off the heat.

Pour the contents of the pan onto the rocket & basil and place the last wedge of lemon in the bowl for squeezing over while eating.

Then tuck in.

That was seriously tasty and so quick to make I had to share it. The key is obviously the freshness of the ingredients and the quality of the cooked prawns. Don't use frozen prawns or prawns perserved in any liquid.

• 1 month later...

I have just eaten roast beef with roast baby new potatoes, chestnut mushrooms and spinach (cheated by having the steam in a microwave stuff).

Managed to get the meat spot on for medium rare and the roasties are bloody lovely (quickly tossed around in some olive oil, chives and thyme before cooking, and in some parsley afterwards).

Just received this from the missus. Can those in the know have a read and tell me if it's a lot of work for the dish or if it can be done more easily. Does seem an awful lot of ingredients!

Lamb Vindaloo

Ingredients

3 table spoons coriender seeds

2 table spoons cumin seeds

8 Bay leaves (6 cm long each)

1 table spoon Black pepper corns

2 table spoons cardamom buds

1 table spoon cloves

2 table spoons dried red chilli

1 table spoon dried mustard seeds

1 cinamon stick 3 cm long cut in several small peices

1 table spoon cayenne powder

1 table spoon turmeric

1 table spoon fenugreek seeds

1 kilogram of pure lamb shoulder muscle cyt in 4 cm strips or cubes

10 garlic cloves crushed

1 table spoon salt

1 table spoon sugar

1 kilogram red hard tomatoes diced finely

1 sweat green pepper cut in small strips

2 green chillis cut in thin slices with seeds

1 cup yogurt

3 table spoons grated fresh ginger

2 large onions diced

2 medium size potatoes

4 table spoons butter

1 cup wine venigar

Directions

Rosat all the spices listed above from 1-12 in a hot frying pan for few minutes on a slow heat. Do not burn them, Do not smell the aroma please. All the spice mix has to be roased.

Remove all the spice mixture and put in a grinder mixer. Grind all the spices to a fine powder. Do not smell the mix.

Mix the powdered spices with garlic, ginger, yogurt, salt, sugar and wine venigar

Add the labm pieces to the marinad above and store refrigerated over night. Mix several times while marinating

Melt butter in a pot, fry the potatoes for 5 minutes, then add the onions, green chilli, tomatoes and fry for 10 minutes

Add the lamb with the marinade to the tomato mixture and simmer for 30 minutes.

Let evaporate to thicken the sauce.

Serve with Basmati rice, naan and Raita.

Be careful, this dish is not for every one. This is one of my favorite hot and spicy dishes

Note you can keep half the marinade frozen for next time. You may also substitute lamb for chicken breast cut in cubes or use drum sticks instead. Enjoy

Can those in the know have a read and tell me if it's a lot of work for the dish or if it can be done more easily.

I've got a much easier and far better recipe for you BOF that will require just the following:

-1 telephone (mobile or landline)

-1 Tandoori takeaway menu (delivery preferable)

Simply add the number on the front of the menu to the keypad of your telephone, state the name of the curry you require and job done.

Â