Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Im trying to totally relax myself before sunday by being calm anout pltential relegation.

If we go down:

Owners care about our future

Will likely keep heaton, mcginn, targett, guilbert and konsa to build around. 

Its a weak league next year we should dominate.

Dean smith is proven in this league.

Many excitable and gettable players.

We will be challenging for top two.

We have been expected to go down all season.

If we stay up:

A huge achievement after the mega rebuild.

Money to burn.

No Suso.

Potential to attract some big name players.

Huge potential to push on and cement our place.

Possibly keep jack.

Positives in every scenario!!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

If we stay up on Sunday ( We will by the way ) and don't forget we got to a major cup final, how can anybody say that is not a

decent season for a first one back in the Prem, especially with the squad turnaround, or that Smith has done a really good job!

We have to remember the facts after our promotion. It is utterly ridiculous to expect any more in a first season back.

If we survive it's a big thank you to Dean from me and a real hope for a great year next season

Surviving does not mean it will have been a decent season, decent will have been safely mid table 12th and comfortable not having to win 3 of their last 4 to survive. Anyone who tries to suggest this will have been a good season I simply cannot agree.

This way of thinking is why we are struggling. Small time mentality.

The LCF wasn’t even enjoyable with watford winning the night before. I’m not trying to call you out but staying up does not constitute decent season.

• Like 2

@pintpotvilla I couldn’t agree more.

IF we stay up, that’s a cup final and survival after a massive squad rebuild, buying bargain basement signings (many of which whose value will improve because of their age and potential) over high wage old Prem players whose value would go down, plus it was all done with 3 injuries to important key players.

That will be some result, in my opinion. No it hasn’t been pretty at times, and the more recent upturn in results and performances has come because of the added preparation time in lockdown, but it’s still a great first season back.

On top of that, it puts us in a fantastic position for the coming months. Instead of Grealish going at a bargain price, we still hold all the cards and can ask for his true value to us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

A 12th place finish would have been an amazing season. Staying up and getting to a cup final after major squad surgery is more than decent.

So finishing on 34 points and potentially staying up is decent? 

Deano said start of season that we weren’t entering the league solely looking to survive he had ambitions of mid table so did most of us on here. Therefore we have fallen short. Yes I would be buzzing and over the moon etc and I would be extremely optimistic for next year but to say decent season is a little much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's all about context.

Yeah on paper survival first year back is job done, but for me it's the almost 70 goals conceded stat which is unacceptable. Players losing heads when the going gets rough.

Mentality has to change. For most parts it's been nowhere near good enough.

Exactly my point - mentality is shocking. Accepting 34/37pts is shocking.

we need to strive for more and these owners certainly will be asking questions regardless of if we stay up.

the quality of the league this year is shocking and we’ve contributed to that at times.

• Like 3

Just now, Mark_1989 said:

So finishing on 34 points and potentially staying up is decent? 

Deano said start of season that we weren’t entering the league solely looking to survive he had ambitions of mid table so did most of us on here. Therefore we have fallen short. Yes I would be buzzing and over the moon etc and I would be extremely optimistic for next year but to say decent season is a little much.

Yeah obviously we weren't looking to go into the season purely trying to survive, but whichever way you slice it, the first season up for a newly promoted team, especially the playoff winning on is always measured by survival. We gave it a good go, from the very first game against Spurs. You can't accuse us of going into games trying to grind out draws to stay in the league. We went for it, but for a combination of naivety (both from the coaching and playing staff), inexperience and general lack of quality, we were punished for it in this very demanding league. If we stay up, we'll be a much stronger outfit because of all that. We already look more wily and street smart since the restart. When you add the cup run to that, overall it's been decent. Haven't pulled up trees, but decent.

• Like 4

If we stay up its a fantastic achievement. With this squad and our injuries, its a success. A cup final as well. 

Delusional if you don't think surviving is a good season. Nearly 50% of the teams that go up through the playoffs go straight back down. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Oh, let me guess, because we’re this so called ‘great’ club, we should have finished mid table, and lower is failure?

Every newly promoted teams aim is to stay up.

I can’t believe this still needs repeating. We finished last season with 16 senior players, which included Bree, Taylor, Green, Tshbola, Kalinic, Lansbury, Chester & Kodjia.

We had, at most, 4 players that were good enough for a regular starting place.

We lost Mings, Hause, Abraham, El Ghazi and Tuanzebe because they were on loan.

We had one of the biggest rebuild jobs that any team has ever had to do following promotion.

Just by signing 3/5 of the loanees into permanent deals we had to spend £32m, and that wasn’t to even stand still, because we had to replace Tammy & Tuanzebe.

On top of that, we knew which league we were going to be in later than 99% of the other clubs in the country, so had less preparation time to do deals.

Many of us got carried away in pre-season, thinking we’d be mid table, but the reality is that any team that needs to build a whole squad on a budget is going to struggle.

Staying up is a success. Staying up, the fans getting a day at Wembley, and doing this after 3 players were out for 1/2 a season is definitely a successful season.

I do think if we survive this season we are going to be a far stronger outfit next year and clearly none of us will accept another season like this.

But I simply refuse to believe it’s been a decent season.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Exactly my point - mentality is shocking. Accepting 34/37pts is shocking.

we need to strive for more and these owners certainly will be asking questions regardless of if we stay up.

the quality of the league this year is shocking and we’ve contributed to that at times.

Which of our summer signings, do you believe were good enough that surviving would be a shocking season?

I'd love to know what you've based that on.

If someone is bored how different permutations are there for Sunday.

For example villa win at West ham we stay up - unless Watford win by 2 goals better at Arsenal.

All 3 loose ? 

Etc, etc, 

It's not just a question of whether the manager has done a good job this season or not, it's also a question of whether he's the right man to take us forward and whether we can get better. And by the same token I'm sure if a team like Real Madrid came in for Smith he'd have to think about that, he left Brentford to join us after all.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If we stay up its a fantastic achievement. With this squad and our injuries, its a success. A cup final as well. 

Delusional if you don't think surviving is a good season. Nearly 50% of the teams that go up through the playoffs go straight back down. 

Delusional - sorry that I set our sights higher than 34points. 

So say we go down because we lose Sunday and Bournemouth win it’ll be seen as a shocking season yet if we stay up due to all 3 of us losing it’s decent.

I find it hard to see how we can gloss it up. Yes I will be delighted due to how the season has gone and our mini turn of form at the end. Just don’t think it’s decent.

Either way. Up the boys for Sunday!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Mark_1989 said:

Delusional - sorry that I set our sights higher than 34points. 

So say we go down because we lose Sunday and Bournemouth win it’ll be seen as a shocking season yet if we stay up due to all 3 of us losing it’s decent.

I find it hard to see how we can gloss it up. Yes I will be delighted due to how the season has gone and our mini turn of form at the end. Just don’t think it’s decent.

Either way. Up the boys for Sunday!!!

I'm all for setting sights higher, but you doing that doesn't make our players better or our injuries go away. 

If we go down it will be a failure. There's nothing about this squad that entitles us to survive though 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

If someone is bored how different permutations are there for Sunday.

For example villa win at West ham we stay up - unless Watford win by 2 goals better at Arsenal.

All 3 loose ? 

Etc, etc, 

If Bournemouth win and us and Watford Lose then Bournemouth stop up
If Watford get a better result than us then Watford stop up
If we win then Watford need to score 2 more than us to stop up
If bournemouth don't win and us and watford both lose then we'd have to lose by 2 more goals than Watford to go down

Edited by commander
  • Like 1