Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/19 at 23:59

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Not as depressing as reading your post about preferring to lose 5 - 0.

How utterly ludicrous. 

Maybe 5-0 was a bit much. Don’t get me wrong losing hurts no matter what but to lose in the dying seconds when you have played really well and deserved at least a point hurts for me a lot more than getting humped by a much better team, against a lesser team it would be different

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Not as depressing as reading your post about preferring to lose 5 - 0.

How utterly ludicrous. 

I was highly delighted we didn't lose 5-0......losing 2-1 in the manner we did was disappointing, but more importantly, retains confidence for future games.

getting a mullering affects confidence.....we avoided that, thankfully.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Maybe 5-0 was a bit much. Don’t get me wrong losing hurts no matter what but to lose in the dying seconds when you have played really well and deserved at least a point hurts for me a lot more than getting humped by a much better team, against a lesser team it would be different

I get your point, while not agreeing with 0-5

We are doing so much good work.....just need to improve on the things we are not doing so good.....conceding in the last 10 minutes is a trend we need to reverse.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I was highly delighted we didn't lose 5-0......losing 2-1 in the manner we did was disappointing, but more importantly, retains confidence for future games.

getting a mullering affects confidence.....we avoided that, thankfully.

Very true, and don't forget the little matter of 'goal difference'   which could relegate us if things are tight at the end of the season....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We didn't deserve a point in that game.

It would have been a straight out robbery

You’re the only villa fan that thinks that out of thousands so I think you’re wrong. 

Even most Liverpool fans I know say a draw would have been fair result.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re the only villa fan that thinks that out of thousands so I think you’re wrong. 

Even most Liverpool fans I know say a draw would have been fair result.

Liverpool dominated every single stat.

- Possession - 26% - 74 %

- Shots on target 2-6

- Shots off target 2-19

- Corners 2-8

- Pass accuracy 58 % - 84 %

- Passes 226 - 634

Now that should give you a good picture in how the game went. Liverpool coming in wave after wave. Villa defending for their lives.

I can agree with Villa putting in a heroic effort and desire. But Liverpool deserved everything they got.

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Liverpool dominated every single stat.

- Possession - 26% - 74 %

- Shots on target 2-6

- Shots off target 2-19

- Corners 2-8

- Pass accuracy 58 % - 84 %

- Passes 226 - 634

Now that should give you a good picture in how the game went. Liverpool coming in wave after wave. Villa defending for their lives.

I can agree with Villa putting in a heroic effort and desire. But Liverpool deserved everything they got.

It sounds like you didn’t watch the game. It wasn’t wave after wave of attack. A lot of those shots were long rangers and they had a lot of the ball without creating clear cut chances. I can remember 3-4 clear cut chances they should have scored. I also remember 3-4 clear cut chances we should have scored. 

I give up.

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We didn't deserve a point in that game.

It would have been a straight out robbery

I don't agree with that.

They had 75% possession, but what did they do with it?.....until our 2 errors and their 2 fine crosses and headers.

They had a goal unfairly ruled out IMO ( Join the club, I say) and Lallana's sitter.

We had 2 good chances too.

We didn't deserve to come out of that game with nothing.

On 06/11/2019 at 00:18, TRO said:

I don't agree with that.

They had 75% possession, but what did they do with it?.....until our 2 errors and their 2 fine crosses and headers.

They had a goal unfairly ruled out IMO ( Join the club, I say) and Lallana's sitter.

We had 2 good chances too.

We didn't deserve to come out of that game with nothing.

For a start they had 25 shots in total.

Poor finishing really is what let them down. On another day they could easily have scored 4 or 5

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Poor finishing really is what let them down. On another day they could easily have scored 4 or 5

They had 4 shots on target.  Tells you where they were shooting from.  Even Liverpool would be doing well to score 4 or 5 from 4 on target.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

They had 4 shots on target.  Tells you where they were shooting from.  Even Liverpool would be doing well to score 4 or 5 from 4 on target.

You know it's possible to hit over the bar at close range, right?

I remember that happening numerous times. Let's go through them, shall we?

1:25 Mane. Free header 5 yards out. Should have done better

1:45 Another great chance, good save Heaton

3:45 Unlucky to be ruled out for offside

4:19 Salah again. Great chance, poor to not hit the target from there

4:39 Firminho. Great chance, should do better

5:31 Mane. Great save by Heaton again

6:47 Another great chance. Once again Liverpool being wasteful

None of these opportunities are long range shots. And like i said on another day Liverpool could have easily have scored 3 or 4.

On 02/11/2019 at 18:28, Demitri_C said:

Think Conor was so poor when he was through. Why he didn't decided to try pass to wesley I will never know.

He did.....virgil, reacted quicker.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

But surely poor finishing is a teams own fault and a result of poor play, or not their usual standard of play......25 shots is very noble, but part of being a good team, is converting them in to goals and goals in to points....ultimately they did that, mainly due to will and determination to over come their lower level on the day.

even great teams have form fluctuations and off days....their impressive level of possession stat, was just a feature of their play, but not the conclusive factor.

On another day, is not an answer........football is all about on the day.

Teams who win leagues are primarily the most consistent ones by definition....amongst many other things.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 18:46, MadridVilla said:

Dean Smith isn't responsible if someone doesn't track their man - the equaliser was because El Ghazi didn't follow Robertson, and the winner because Kodjia (I think) didn't follow Mane. There's only so much a manager can do.

Smith is responsible for having El Ghazi and Kodjia - both not known for their defensive work - on the pitch at a time when we are defending a one goal lead with minutes left.  As many have said, Wes should have been subbed for Konsa and not Kodjia and Luiz should have stayed on with Hourihane - if he had come on - coming on for AEG and playing of Trez at the tip of a diamond.

On 03/11/2019 at 13:11, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m shocked Firminhos disallowed goal was actually onside. Looked miles off at the time. Var gave us a decision for once!

Err, no. 

It WAS offside, only by mm,  but offside. 

VAR did what it was supposed to do and showed the mm which backed up the linos decision. 

Â