Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/19 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I wonder what it is about the top clubs which enables them to control the last 15 minutes of games and put them on the front foot, seemingly regardless of who they are playing?

I mean I look at Liverpool and see players like Henderson, who was and is a pretty average player in my view.  He's improved a lot over the last few years, but he's never going to measure up against players like Gerrard is he?  Their two wingbacks, who get so much credit - are they really *that* incredible?  Or is it the system they play in enables them to appear to be world-beaters?  Or are they genuinely that good?  Robertson for example looks extremely average in the Scotland squad.

I know if you're protecting a lead you tend to drop deeper as the game goes on, but I wonder how we can learn to not quite drop so deep and still maintain a threat.

It's coaching

That and working against the gegenpress for 90 minutes is nigh on impossible unless you have outfield players who are comfortable playing first touch under pressure for 90 minutes. Not many teams can do that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Their two wingbacks, who get so much credit - are they really *that* incredible? 

TAA, for me, is close to becoming the best FB in the world. The lad has it all.

• Like 1

I'm surprised by DS's 'good' rating from yesterday, thought we were very negative and worse than against City (which was away btw) and he only got 'average' for that. Maybe people were watching a different game but I just thought we lumped it and kept giving it back to Liverpool. We worked hard and deserve credit for that but we were so, so bad in possession. I'm pretty sure our passing stats are amongst the worst in the league and it has to improve imo, especially against the weaker teams. 

I also saw on Fan Cams one guy say we dominated for 85 mins. I'm sorry but this simply is not true in any way. 

Really very good performance and beaten by possibly the best team in the world at the moment, there’s no shame in that, it’s painful because the script was so dramatic. I didn’t see a poor performance from any player, and Liverpool have overwhelming strength, drive and power from every part of the pitch. Mane’s winning header was exquisite, absolutely millimetre perfect.

We have a lot of promise, we have enough to stay up and only now a few forwards short of being a very decent outfit. We were 9th in the league at 4.44pm yesterday.

I think we will kick on from here, and excited who might join us in January and the summer.

• Like 1

I don’t want to spoil the fun of all those who think our Coaching staff are faulty, but there’s nothing odd about us conceding late goals.

The most common time to conceed goals is the 90th minute ‘plus’.

As to why, there’s a few reasons including more likelihood of fatigue ( especially against better opponents), and more likelihood of pressure ( if you are winning against better opponents).

Im happy to have a bet with a donation to VT that by the end of the season ( when we will have played the full range of opponents) our “ bottling”, our “ late goal errors”, our “ mental problem” and all the rest will be shown to be statistically no different to any other Club in our mini League of 12. And aaaaallllllll the criticism, pessimism, and questioning will turn out to have been so much wasted energy.

11 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Yes we have much to learn and are far from a complete side but Liverpool always had the potential despite being lacklustre for most of the game. European champions win games in the last 5/10 mins... there is a long way to go but we will survive. 

Every team can win in the last 5 minutes, if you switch off and don't pick up runners.....as we have sadly illustrated in many games.

no one on the back post for a corner in the dying minutes has nothing to do with the standard of the opposition....its OUR Error.

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t want to spoil the fun of all those who think our Coaching staff are faulty, but there’s nothing odd about us conceding late goals.

The most common time to conceed goals is the 90th minute ‘plus’.

As to why, there’s a few reasons including more likelihood of fatigue ( especially against better opponents), and more likelihood of pressure ( if you are winning against better opponents).

Im happy to have a bet with a donation to VT that by the end of the season ( when we will have played the full range of opponents) our “ bottling”, our “ late goal errors”, our “ mental problem” and all the rest will be shown to be statistically no different to any other Club in our mini League of 12. And aaaaallllllll the criticism, pessimism, and questioning will turn out to have been so much wasted energy.

Their 2 goals were errors from us......doesn't matter how you dress it up.

Liverpool score a lot of late goals, as do all the best teams, in part it's because they have better players, and coaches for that matter, but also there's an whole psychological factor that plays a part as well, as the saying goes a big part of the game is played in the mind. Just have to hope we can do better next time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Which is how most goals, especially late goals, can be described, doesn’t matter how you dress it up.

True.

but that back post is our achilles heel......Brighton went ahead from the same position.

we have to learn and focus.

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Never ceases to amaze me how some folk search for things to criticise their own side about, especially when it’s stuff common to every team, in every League, every year, in all football.

Observations Terry......there is a subtle difference.

No one is criticising a well spirited performance.

• Like 1

Â