Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/19 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Do you want him sacked or are you just venting?

At the very least someone needs to step up and tell him to kop on.

Unless we are looking at relegation, then id probably wait until the end of the season.

But if his ingame management doesnt improve, even if we stayed up, id be looking to replace him.

12 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

At the very least someone needs to step up and tell him to kop on.

Unless we are looking at relegation, then id probably wait until the end of the season.

But if his ingame management doesnt improve, even if we stayed up, id be looking to replace him.

Fair enough. I personally think we got a special manager that is continuously learning and we’d be crazy to be part with him.  But we’ll see what the future brings.

6 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Is it not fashionable to put defenders on the post at corners anymore ? That's cost us big style..so simple.

Good point. But how many players pull off a header like that. Salah gets all the hype but Mane best player in the league for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colhint said:

Calm down lad he has moved us up 30 odd places in his first year bought a whole new squad and it's his first year in the top flight. The football is better, the feel and atmosphere are better and we have played 4 of the top 6, and only 2 in the bottom half in our first 11 games. Bit of rub of the green which will come, and we'd be top half. As it stands we are a point a game which would bring 38 points, enough to stay up.

I think Smith is an amazing manager mate. What he has achieved in his short time at the club is incredible.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

So if we sit in 15th all season and DS continues to make the same errors every games, would you still back him?

I'm as frustrated as anyone that we've lost 6 in 11 and can't seem to hold on to leads, but I'll back him this season as long as we stay up. So I guess yes. I'm probably also a bit biased as DS is Villa through and through and I know he's desperate to get the club in a good position and be the man to make that happen. 

Like you though, I want to see this club competing against the best. I look at Leicester and feel ****ed off that isn't us, but we've been overtaken in the last 10 years by smaller clubs who've shown more ambition than us while we've been badly mismanaged.

But there does seem to be a plan in place with the current owners and I think DS may make a great manager in this league once he learns from his shortcomings, I can't say that for sure but I think we need to give him a season at least to see how he adapts. Unless we look in serious relegation trouble as the season goes on he should be backed imo. He'll need to make sure he's picking up points against the bottom half teams as that is what will define our season. The dropped points against Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace were probably more where DS deserved criticism than today I think, as those were games we should have got a couple of wins from.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Let's just sit back again for final 30 minutes and invite pressure . Worked so well against spurs and arsenal.

Poor subs by Smith.

Rubbish. We were always going to be on the back foot against the league leaders stuffed with quality. We didn’t ‘invite’ pressure. We tried to hit them on the break and it nearly worked. I was v.proud of the team today. They worked their bollocks off against the European Champions. 

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kind of my point mate. Lambert and Bruce used to get us the wins in these types of games and look where that got us.  I’m surprised the team can be criticised after today’s performance, but that’s just me.

I think we have to be careful here....criticised maybe not.....observed why we conceded so late again, why not.....when its not the first time.

We have come a long way in 12 months and we are all grateful for that.....but other teams have done well too like Sheff Utd.

I too can see improvement as well as I can still see flaws and those same flaws are in evidence against Liverpool as they were against Bournemouth and Brighton....and they are there when we win and when we lose.

Our play is easy on the eye in many ways, but benevolent too, we are too open in the middle of the park and give the ball away too cheaply.....Dean has his way, which is different to Chris Wilder and both have done well, personally so far I think we have the better players, but Sheff Utd has slightly the better team, for now.

We have some way to go.....I just hope some of the shortfalls I see do get dealt with in time.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Rubbish. We were always going to be on the back foot against the league leaders stuffed with quality. We didn’t ‘invite’ pressure. We tried to hit them on the break and it nearly worked. I was v.proud of the team today. They worked their bollocks off against the European Champions. 

I too thought we did very well in some aspects of our play and not so good in other aspects.....but to lead for 87 minutes is commendable on one hand and questionable on the other....We have much to learn.

I thought we would get a trouncing and concede c 4 and which we could have with better finishing from them and a disallowed goal for offside, which I thought should join the ranks of our chalked off goals as a poor decision, but great for us.

They might be European Champions Mike.....but their form today did not suggest so, if we are being totally honest with ourselves.

2 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

Is it not fashionable to put defenders on the post at corners anymore ? That's cost us big style..so simple.

said exactly the same when watching game of the day......Mane's goal could easily have been stopped.....and despite the quality run, Robertsons goal was coming from the back post,all game....as it did against Brighton.

Sometimes we need to wise up.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I too thought we did very well in some aspects of our play and not so good in other aspects.....but to lead for 87 minutes is commendable on one hand and questionable on the other....We have much to learn.

I thought we would get a trouncing and concede c 4 and which we could have with better finishing from them and a disallowed goal for offside, which I thought should join the ranks of our chalked off goals as a poor decision, but great for us.

They might be European Champions Mike.....but their form today did not suggest so, if we are being totally honest with ourselves.

Yes we have much to learn and are far from a complete side but Liverpool always had the potential despite being lacklustre for most of the game. European champions win games in the last 5/10 mins... there is a long way to go but we will survive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Yes we have much to learn and are far from a complete side but Liverpool always had the potential despite being lacklustre for most of the game. European champions win games in the last 5/10 mins... there is a long way to go but we will survive. 

In reference to the last 3 words of your post, this kind of complacency got us relegated in 2016. In my opinion, any of the bottom 14 clubs can be relegated and I mean that, the league is so tight, anyone can beat anyone. The top 6 have found consistency in their play, we have shown already this season that we can compete with them but it doesn’t mean that we’re immune from relegation, far from it

A typical smarmy Scouse win when i felt we deserved a result. I did think it was our bench which let us down today. We were coping with them until they brought on the late reinforcements and we brought on 3 players all of whom worsened us by quite some margin.

The first eleven though deserved the win, the poor quality subs killed us and the more i see us the more i think this is why we keep throwing away all the good work.... Basically when you get past the 1st eleven we are weak.

Kodija just did not have any impact whatsoever and any hold up play vanished allowing them to lay siege.

Elmohamady weakened us at the back & even Hourihane was no match for Luiz.

That's what lost us the game i feel as it was on a tightrope and their subs v our subs made a huge difference.

Their fans were very poor, no doubt upset at the thought they wouldn't be able to have their normal gloating session..... until they scored of course.

As for Mane? The blokes a disgrace!.. Diving cheat, but then the scousers always have had a soft spot for cheats have they not.

The Ref greased the tracks for them... increasingly so as the game went on which of course was very predictable because they were at risk of losing.

Baffled me how when we scored VAR took an absolute age to confirm the goal and yet on both of there's there was barely a moments pause taken to check them.

At least Goal difference only took a -4 hit over the last two games which i guess is something.

6 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

You just admitted it that we would try hit them on the break, that is sitting back and inviting pressure so that’s not rubbish mike.

liverpool are better than us but we kept losing the ball and struggling to get two three passes together. 

I thought smiths subs were pretty poor today be honest.

I wonder what it is about the top clubs which enables them to control the last 15 minutes of games and put them on the front foot, seemingly regardless of who they are playing?

I mean I look at Liverpool and see players like Henderson, who was and is a pretty average player in my view.  He's improved a lot over the last few years, but he's never going to measure up against players like Gerrard is he?  Their two wingbacks, who get so much credit - are they really *that* incredible?  Or is it the system they play in enables them to appear to be world-beaters?  Or are they genuinely that good?  Robertson for example looks extremely average in the Scotland squad.

I know if you're protecting a lead you tend to drop deeper as the game goes on, but I wonder how we can learn to not quite drop so deep and still maintain a threat.

Â