Do you read?

Luke_W

My friend has a trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. Was thinking of borrowing it for my holiday in Tenerife, is that a good call? I think The Crossing is one of them.

Didn't read the trilogy in the end.

But I did read No Country for Old Men. Bloody excellent. Even though I've seen the film a number of times i couldn't put it down. Finished it in a day.

I also read "Inverting the Pyramid" and paul Mcgrath's autobiography. Both also excellent.

Just finished the final part of the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larrson and it was tremendous!!!

I've thoroughly enjoyed all three of them, particularly the 2nd and 3rd.

I would recommend everyone to pick up The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest.

Now I can watch the film adaptation too (hopefully won't be too disappointed!)

Mike, i've picked up some cracking books of late based on your recommendations, many thanks.
That's nice to know - which ones?

I'll keep the tips coming.

Mike, i've picked up some cracking books of late based on your recommendations, many thanks.
That's nice to know - which ones?

I'll keep the tips coming.

I've picked up a couple of Hemingway books recently, and i've also just ordered my first Ellroy (The Black Dahlia) and The Age of Wonder. Reading VT whilst slightly pissed and with access to amazon is a dangerous thing...

Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men. Just read it in one sitting (it's only 106 pages).

Tremendous.

whats that about now?

I read that at school but I cant remember much about it, is it about the big dumb guy that kills someone by accident or something

Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men. Just read it in one sitting (it's only 106 pages).

Tremendous.

whats that about now?

I read that at school but I cant remember much about it, is it about the big dumb guy that kills someone by accident or something

That's the one.

i decided to read the BBC's top 20 books of all time.

started with "Catcher in the Rye".

what a pile of crap!

how this book could get anywhere near the top 100 amazes me.

one of the worst books i have ever read. 2/10.

nothing happens all book, and i think its supposed to be contraversial or something, but most students will have done better on standard stag weekend, or even freshers week at uni.

can someone explain why this book is meant to be good.

i decided to read the BBC's top 20 books of all time.

started with "Catcher in the Rye".

what a pile of crap!

how this book could get anywhere near the top 100 amazes me.

one of the worst books i have ever read. 2/10.

nothing happens all book, and i think its supposed to be contraversial or something, but most students will have done better on standard stag weekend, or even freshers week at uni.

can someone explain why this book is meant to be good.

The BBC Top 20:

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne

8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell

9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis

10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë

11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller

12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks

14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame

17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres

20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy

I've read:

The Lord of the Rings, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Winnie the Pooh, Nineteen Eighty-Four, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Catch-22, Birdsong, The Wind in the Willows, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and War and Peace.

Enjoyed them all, especially (in their different ways) War and Peace and The Wind in the Willows.

Haven't read:

Pride and Prejudice, His Dark Materials, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, The Catcher in the Rye, Great Expectations, or Little Women.

So I can't comment on "Catcher".I keep hearing that it's the sort of thing that might mean more to a teenager, so perhaps I'm a bit old for it now!

so far i've read:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 10/10

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe - 9.5/10

The Lord of the Rings - 9/10

To Kill a Mockingbird - 8/10

Nineteen Eighty-Four - 8/10

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 7/10

The Catcher in the Rye - 3/10

So I can't comment on "Catcher".I keep hearing that it's the sort of thing that might mean more to a teenager, so perhaps I'm a bit old for it now!

yeas, it would appeal more to a teenager, but a teenager from the 1960's without any life experience.

to today's teenager, it would just appear a bit tame.

the main guy basically spends two days getting drunk a lot in a very civilised manner, tries to get laid, rings up old girlfriends... and thats pretty much it.

yeas, it would appeal more to a teenager, but a teenager from the 1960's without any life experience.

to today's teenager, it would just appear a bit tame.

the main guy basically spends two days getting drunk a lot in a very civilised manner, tries to get laid, rings up old girlfriends... and thats pretty much it.

Kerouac's "On the Road" is similar in that respect.

But can't you put yourself into the mind of somebody from a different era? That's what novels are mostly about for me (I rarely read books set in the present day, it doesn't interest me).

Â