Do you read?

Luke_W

I'm reading Ask the Dust at the moment. It's easily great and hilarious. I haven't got that much of a frame of reference because I don't read loads and loads, but I'd say this one reminds of Hunger by Knut Hamsun and it's also slightly similar to Notes from the Underground by Fyodor dostoevsky. Also apparently it was a big influence on charles bukowski who wrote the forward, I don't know too much about him though.

I'm reading Ask the Dust at the moment. It's easily great and hilarious. I haven't got that much of a frame of reference because I don't read loads and loads, but I'd say this one reminds of Hunger by Knut Hamsun and it's also slightly similar to Notes from the Underground by Fyodor dostoevsky. Also apparently it was a big influence on charles bukowski who wrote the forward, I don't know too much about him though.

Ask The Dust is part of "The Bandini Quartet". If you like it you'll love the others. 

Ask The Dust is part of "The Bandini Quartet". If you like it you'll love the others. 

I only realised after I started the book would have been nice to read them chronologically, but looking forward to the others though.

Edited by useless

D-Day: The Battle For Normandy by Antony Beevor. Saw it, without it's sleeve in a charity shop for 20p, so bought it. Been a while since I read about anything WW2, I know a bit already but just fancied this when I saw it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Devil All the Time

Set in rural southern Ohio and West Virginia, The Devil All the Time follows a cast of compelling and bizarre characters from the end of World War II to the 1960s. There's Willard Russell, tormented veteran of the carnage in the South Pacific, who can't save his beautiful wife, Charlotte, from an agonizing death by cancer no matter how much sacrifi­cial blood he pours on his "prayer log." There's Carl and Sandy Henderson, a husband-and-wife team of serial kill­ers, who troll America's highways searching for suitable models to photograph and exterminate. There's the spider-handling preacher Roy and his crippled virtuoso-guitar-playing sidekick, Theodore, running from the law. And caught in the middle of all this is Arvin Eugene Russell, Willard and Charlotte's orphaned son, who grows up to be a good but also violent man in his own right.

Reading this at the moment. It is superb and i can't put it down. I'd choose it to read next!

Well, I finished the epic Harlot's Ghost (good, but flawed)

What didn't you like about it?

I loved it, and reading more about James Angleton afterwards only increased my liking for it.

Just finished Doug Coupland's Worst.Person.Ever. which got a bit of a bashing from the critics but I thoroughly enjoyed.

Well, I finished the epic Harlot's Ghost (good, but flawed)

What didn't you like about it?

I loved it, and reading more about James Angleton afterwards only increased my liking for it.

Would have benefited from some editing, I thought. It kind of couldn't decide whether it was a Le Carre style spy novel or a satire on the American class system. 

But like I say, generally good. 

Â