Do you read?

Luke_W

Reading Bravo Two Zero and can't put it down.

Its not true you know.

Its not?

Not literally, no. "Can't put it down" is merely a figure of speech. 

• Like 1

6450952-M.jpg

Just finished this. A rare re-read for me, of a travel classic - an account of a journey by car around England, in 1927. 

One section jumped out at me as being tragically ironic: 

"Coventry... is a lucky city. Fire, which wiped old London from the map, has spared to Coventry several of the finest buildings of their kind in the world..." 

He little knew what was going to happen. 

• Like 1

Finished In Search of England, now onto: 

3740hdi_27.jpeg

Supposed to be the best thing he did outside of The Naked and the Dead. Very promising so far, very much like an American John Le Carre. 

6450952-M.jpg

Just finished this. A rare re-read for me, of a travel classic - an account of a journey by car around England, in 1927. 

One section jumped out at me as being tragically ironic: 

"Coventry... is a lucky city. Fire, which wiped old London from the map, has spared to Coventry several of the finest buildings of their kind in the world..." 

He little knew what was going to happen. 

Ooh, might have to have a look for that book, looks interesting

Well after whingeing about Feast for Crows, the last 4 or 5 chapters were outstanding.  Time to dig into A Dance with Dragons.

I was also alarmed to see how he hoped to get the latter out a year after Feast for Crows and it took him 6.  he's not going to live to finish it is he?

Edited by Wainy316

Dunno. He might have much of the ground work already written.

A Dance With Dragons is much better than Crows was. Dany & Tyrion are actually in it again and you catch up with some of the stuff that has already been shown on TV.

I'm currently going through the Dunk & Egg tales which are some short stories set about 100 years before A Song of Ice & Fire. There is some overlap, you meet characters who are referenced a lot in ASoIaF and get an even greater sense of the world. Well worth getting into after Dragons.

I tried to read GoT's, I really did. Not happenin' though. I find too many fantasy writers forgo decent writing for world building, which puts me off and ultimately bores me when I try to read them.

I'm currently reading this

9780349116495.jpg

Only on the second story, but his writing really is something else. Some sentences can run on for whole pages. The first story was hard work, although deliberately jargon-filled as it dealt with marketing, but the second has some sentences that I just have to stop to and re-read a few times because they are so **** good.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Dunno. He might have much of the ground work already written.

A Dance With Dragons is much better than Crows was. Dany & Tyrion are actually in it again and you catch up with some of the stuff that has already been shown on TV.

I'm currently going through the Dunk & Egg tales which are some short stories set about 100 years before A Song of Ice & Fire. There is some overlap, you meet characters who are referenced a lot in ASoIaF and get an even greater sense of the world. Well worth getting into after Dragons.

Nice one, will check that out.  I can't imagine a life without being immersed in that world now.

Â