Assassin's Creed series

Dodgyknees

Never played an AC game before…

Been playing AC Odyssey for the past few weeks. Wow, it’s a fantastic game. 

Graphics are amazing for a PS4 game, the story is fun and interesting and the world is so well fleshed out. The Greek history is brilliant. 

Dare I say it - it has many aspects that are on par with Witcher 3, Skyrim and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

The climbing is better than HZD, the combat is better than Ghost of Tsushima, the story is better than Skyrim, the open world is on par with Witcher.

I haven’t finished it yet, this is just on the first 40 hours of gameplay.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The combat is better than Ghost of Tsushima

I'm a fan of odyssey and I can't have that!

Part of the downfall of the game for me was the rival system whatever it was called (which they more or less stole from LOTR) there were some fights where I was hitting the guy 30+ times to slowly whittle his health down, it was like a dynasty warriors game

Its a good game, probably a 8/10, I put a lot of hours in to it but it suffers from ubisoftitis, it's cluttered and not streamlined enough with too many icons and things to do, the run time is actually detrimental to it, its too big for its own good

The latest horizon suffers from it too, so did ghost if you went for the platinum

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ender4 said:

Never played an AC game before…

Been playing AC Odyssey for the past few weeks. Wow, it’s a fantastic game. 

Graphics are amazing for a PS4 game, the story is fun and interesting and the world is so well fleshed out. The Greek history is brilliant. 

Dare I say it - it has many aspects that are on par with Witcher 3, Skyrim and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

The climbing is better than HZD, the combat is better than Ghost of Tsushima, the story is better than Skyrim, the open world is on par with Witcher.

I haven’t finished it yet, this is just on the first 40 hours of gameplay.

Odyssey is the best AC I've played. Think I'm around level 21 at the mo. Great story and gameplay

• 2 months later...

Still playing AC Odyssey. Finished the main game, pottered around for a while doing side quests, ship battles and clearing up all the cultists. 130 hours played.

Then I’ve realised I only had 5 trophies left to do, so going to go for Platinum now. 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2023 at 19:49, ender4 said:

Still playing AC Odyssey. Finished the main game, pottered around for a while doing side quests, ship battles and clearing up all the cultists. 130 hours played.

Then I’ve realised I only had 5 trophies left to do, so going to go for Platinum now. 

Have you got the expansion packs?

they're really worth it, especially the Fate of Atlantis three parter. 

The Legacy of the Blade is also decent.

Plenty of hours play so good value.

Still my favourite game (although just about to start Valhalla again)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Have you got the expansion packs?

they're really worth it, especially the Fate of Atlantis three parter. 

The Legacy of the Blade is also decent.

Plenty of hours play so good value.

Still my favourite game (although just about to start Valhalla again)

Valhalla was a huge letdown for me.  I was too big for it's own good and felt like it didn't know what direction it wanted to take the player in.  Not sure what others made of it in that respect though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

Valhalla was a huge letdown for me.  I was too big for it's own good and felt like it didn't know what direction it wanted to take the player in.  Not sure what others made of it in that respect though.

I really liked the main storyline for Valhalla but at times thought it was a little too big and additional 'build a settlement' requirements a little too much. 

Whilst it was not as good as Odyssey, I still enjoyed playing it. 

I've restarted so I can get the expansion packs and assault Paris! 

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

Valhalla did enough to get Ubisoft to rethink their strategy. The upcoming Assassin's Creed Mirage is absolutely tiny by comparison at 20 hours long for main story. I am sure Ubisoft will still deliver some AC games that are 300 hours long to 100% them, but it seems like enough people had issue with how big Valhalla was that Ubisoft are trying to change it up a bit. 

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Exactly the same, will put in spoilers just in case

Spoiler

I understand the structure they took, go to this county for its individual story and characters, finish it they join your gang and you go yo the next one and then when you've done a load of counties you all get together and do a story... The game is so big there's what 12 to 20 mates and some of them I went 40 hours without seeing, they're completely lost and largely irrelevant

The game is too big and too long for its own good

And that's before you then look at the scattergun of side stuff

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
12 hours ago, ender4 said:

Does it feel similar to Odyssey and Origins?  Or more like AC 2 and 3?

Much more “original AC” feeling than the last 3 of Odyssey, Origins, & Valhalla. I’m not very far, but I get the sense it’s a dense, smaller map with emphasis on stealth instead of a sprawling world combat RPG

I flipped on my ps5 last night to find that at some point over the weekend I had purchased Mirage whilst tipsy enough to have forgotten that I did it. I was always going to get it but I wanted to finish the Valhalla main storyline first (I am most of the way through, but kept avoiding it as the main person you are supposed to want to rescue is to my mind the most stabbable character in the game).

This is the second game I have ordered this year whilst drunk incharge of a ps5, which is becoming an expensive problem (eafc being the other which sober me was really pissed off at drunk me for).

Anyway I am actually looking forward to jumping into Mirage, but am sticking to my guns and finishing Valhalla first.

• Like 1

Finished the main storyline of Valhalla last night. 

Spoiler

I thought the end was wildly anticlimactic. Slow, boring, required a long time outside the animus, which is always the worst part, cut scenes for days. The last big battle in England feels like there should be another after it, real semi final vibes, I was really surprised when I realised that was it.

Super extra spoiler warning for the below

And the big twist at the end of the Order is that the head guy is actually a pretty ok dude and you hang out making **** cake.

There fight with Odin is so obvious that you have to lose that I just stood there allowing him to hit me as his attacks were so predictable I could have been there for hours dodging and striking before he beat me. The lack of a health bar was not the most subtle hint.

Then there is the Basim stuff. That was just a muddle of very strange writing choices. At least of the 3 sort of main storyline end bosses you can actually fight him, but thanks to the script you don't really win against him either.

So overall conclusion. It was good enough for me to sink 100 hours into to finish it. I can see why people say that it suffers from its size. To get to 100 hours I've probably had the game installed for a year. There are characters that die, than I'm sure are supposed to be impactful, but the cast is so large that often  I can't remember who they are so it falls flat as a moment.

The combat is decent. You can have fun with it. I've seen on this thread it described as better than ghost of tsushima, on that I would disagree. Ghost was more satisfying and technical, which I suppose suits a Samurai game. Valhalla is simpler and brutal, which suits a Viking game. There is nothing in Valhalla that came close to the duals in Ghost though.

A fun enough romp, Odyssey was WAY better too, looking forward to Mirage next.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 03/11/2023 at 08:23, Straggler said:

Finished the main storyline of Valhalla last night. 

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the end was wildly anticlimactic. Slow, boring, required a long time outside the animus, which is always the worst part, cut scenes for days. The last big battle in England feels like there should be another after it, real semi final vibes, I was really surprised when I realised that was it.

Super extra spoiler warning for the below

And the big twist at the end of the Order is that the head guy is actually a pretty ok dude and you hang out making **** cake.

There fight with Odin is so obvious that you have to lose that I just stood there allowing him to hit me as his attacks were so predictable I could have been there for hours dodging and striking before he beat me. The lack of a health bar was not the most subtle hint.

Then there is the Basim stuff. That was just a muddle of very strange writing choices. At least of the 3 sort of main storyline end bosses you can actually fight him, but thanks to the script you don't really win against him either.

So overall conclusion. It was good enough for me to sink 100 hours into to finish it. I can see why people say that it suffers from its size. To get to 100 hours I've probably had the game installed for a year. There are characters that die, than I'm sure are supposed to be impactful, but the cast is so large that often  I can't remember who they are so it falls flat as a moment.

The combat is decent. You can have fun with it. I've seen on this thread it described as better than ghost of tsushima, on that I would disagree. Ghost was more satisfying and technical, which I suppose suits a Samurai game. Valhalla is simpler and brutal, which suits a Viking game. There is nothing in Valhalla that came close to the duals in Ghost though.

A fun enough romp, Odyssey was WAY better too, looking forward to Mirage next.

I need Valhalla to come back to PS Plus Extra so I can play it.  

I’ve started AC Black Flag instead. It’s a little jarring playing an older game after Odyssey and Origins but still seems good. 

• 1 month later...

If the rumours of the setting are true I'm surprised there's not been a trailer for Red recently, if it's fuedal Japan then it's shogun

Was thinking there needs to be a proper good game set in the period, GoT is before, RotR is after, there's samurai warriors... Onimusha touches on it a bit but then goes fantasy

There's a great opportunity here for them to piggy back off the shows success

• Like 1

Last I heard the games official name is Assassin's Creed: Shadows and it will be getting its full reveal at Ubisoft Forward on June 10th. The game will likely be coming out October/November 2024 (unless it gets pushed back). 

Feudal Japan setting and unless things have changed will feature a female samurai and a male shinobi as playable characters. Unknown if you play as both, or if the player chooses between them at the start. 

Should be a good game, and it's also potentially the first game that will be part of Assassin's Creed: Infinity which is a real time hub area where the modern day story will now take place. Not sure what that means for the games connected to it and how those games are bought, or even how they are accessed through this hub, but I am sure they'll explain it on June 10th. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Last I heard the games official name is Assassin's Creed: Shadows and it will be getting its full reveal at Ubisoft Forward on June 10th. The game will likely be coming out October/November 2024 (unless it gets pushed back). 

Feudal Japan setting and unless things have changed will feature a female samurai and a male shinobi as playable characters. Unknown if you play as both, or if the player chooses between them at the start. 

Should be a good game, and it's also potentially the first game that will be part of Assassin's Creed: Infinity which is a real time hub area where the modern day story will now take place. Not sure what that means for the games connected to it and how those games are bought, or even how they are accessed through this hub, but I am sure they'll explain it on June 10th. 

Would be cool if they did hanzo hattori that would be the shogun setting 

Or Goemon just a bit before it 

That time period would be awesome 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Would be cool if they did hanzo hattori that would be the shogun setting 

Or Goemon just a bit before it 

That time period would be awesome 

Seeing what time period it's specifically set in will be cool to see. 

I'm also curious how the game will stand out. I wonder if the game will be more stealth focused given Ghost of Tsushima and now Rise of the Ronin have been more action based games. 

Â