Assassin's Creed series

Dodgyknees

39 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That was exactly my experience too. I think that's why I struggle with The Last of Us as well.

going OT but thats why i thought the last of us was perfect

it gives the impression of being huge and being able to go off anywhere you want and do anything you want whilst also at the same basically being arenas connected in a linear fashion, i dont like fallout and skyrim and games that give you 100% free reign, AC was somewhere between the 2 but for me i think part of its downfall is its not streamlined enough, it badly needs reigning in and less scattergun ideas

and thats before you look at how tLoU manages to stay suspenseful despite you clearing that arena and your mate even declaring the area as clear - its a really clever deceptive game 

• 1 month later...

Currently playing Valhalla after completing Origins. I’m about 5 hours in and it’s not grabbed me yet, pretty dull wondering about in the in the ice. I hope it gets better when you enter the UK. 

Does it get anymore ‘assassiney’ though? Feels like it’s a lot more button bashing than Origins where I played mostly stealthy 

Haven’t played one of these all the way through since Black Flag. 1 & 2 being the only other ones I finished. Tempted by the remaster of 3 as got a bit bored of that originally about a quarter of the way in and just dropped it. 

Everything since Black Flag has just looked completely bizarre and boring. I did start Origins but got bored. Looked lovely though. Tempted by Rogue. 

3 hours ago, mark359 said:

Currently playing Valhalla after completing Origins. I’m about 5 hours in and it’s not grabbed me yet, pretty dull wondering about in the in the ice. I hope it gets better when you enter the UK. 

Does it get anymore ‘assassiney’ though? Feels like it’s a lot more button bashing than Origins where I played mostly stealthy 

It gets MUCH better once you hit England, more interesting Biomes for sure but it never really gets THAT assassiny seeing as it continues the trend of your character not actually being an assassin just loosely working with them as your goals line up.

I enjoyed Valhalla more than origin but its a slog and it annoyed me no end that accidentally squashing a few monks when you raid a monastery leads you to destabilize like that WASNT something a viking raider would have done historically?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mark359 said:

It gets way better once you get to England and there is more stealth involved as you hit more townships etc

Stick with it!

Loved the storyline but overall it fell a little short of Odyssey, which is just superb! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked Valhalla up a while ago from a sale but only this week have started putting time into it. I like it.

But.

It has a maddening bug, I guess. You'll be walking around and encounter an annoying 'avenge' mission. So you ignore it. And then you keep getting it pop up. And eventually you'll get a blank 'new quest' notification pop up every single time you do anything with the Triangle button. Sometimes it'll flash up 'multiple quests accepted', when I haven't. And the only way to stop it is to close the game and restart it up. It's **** maddening.

14 hours ago, theboyangel said:

So my lad kindly bought me the season pass for Odyssey, giving me the two expansion packs and AC III remastered for my birthday!

looking forward to diving back into old skool Greece and wupping mythical beasts! 

The two DLC's for AC Odyssey are incredible, strongest out of the last three games by a country mile imho. Enjoy! Only drawback for me is you need to spend so much time farming to upgrade your gear, it costs loads at the higher levels and you have to keep jumping from the DLC back to Greece to farm high amounts, along with keeping your gold topped up. There's not many resources at all in act 2 of the fall of Atlantis. If you don't care about upgrading, you'll love it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing Valhalla for the last month. I'm over a hundred hours and I've still not finished the story, or cleaned up the map. 

I can't say I've not enjoyed my time with it, I like the setting and the Viking/Saxon thing, and having a game that is so non-linear in its structure is quite interesting (pick your shire, go do 3 missions of it's story, repeat in largely the order you see fit), and it's pretty, very pretty, and sounds wonderful with a great score.

But holy shit if ever theres a game where they clearly sat down and said 'of we're doing a Viking game, we're doing it once, and therefore we're doing everything', this is it. There's, as far as I can tell, a entire sub campaign you can basically ignore, you go do various Viking-y things at different points of the game (being intentionally vague)... Our just keeps going. And going. And going. And giving more. And more...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've been playing Valhalla for the last month. I'm over a hundred hours and I've still not finished the story, or cleaned up the map. 

I can't say I've not enjoyed my time with it, I like the setting and the Viking/Saxon thing, and having a game that is so non-linear in its structure is quite interesting (pick your shire, go do 3 missions of it's story, repeat in largely the order you see fit), and it's pretty, very pretty, and sounds wonderful with a great score.

But holy shit if ever theres a game where they clearly sat down and said 'of we're doing a Viking game, we're doing it once, and therefore we're doing everything', this is it. There's, as far as I can tell, a entire sub campaign you can basically ignore, you go do various Viking-y things at different points of the game (being intentionally vague)... Our just keeps going. And going. And going. And giving more. And more...

I feel both Odyssey and Valhalla could have done with shaving off like...20 or so hours from the play time, its all very enjoyable and well crafted but there is just SO much to do it can really feel like a slog, even if the gameplay and story are still engaging. I actually just kind of put down Odyssey and never picked it up again during the Sparta quest line because Id already killed all the monsters and done the bulk of assassinations but it still felt like I was days or weeks away from getting any kind of resolution to the main story. I finished Valhalla (mainly because I prefer female Eivor as a protagonist to Kassandra) but jee if it isnt a LOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eidolon said:

I feel both Odyssey and Valhalla could have done with shaving off like...20 or so hours from the play time, its all very enjoyable and well crafted but there is just SO much to do it can really feel like a slog, even if the gameplay and story are still engaging. I actually just kind of put down Odyssey and never picked it up again during the Sparta quest line because Id already killed all the monsters and done the bulk of assassinations but it still felt like I was days or weeks away from getting any kind of resolution to the main story. I finished Valhalla (mainly because I prefer female Eivor as a protagonist to Kassandra) but jee if it isnt a LOT.

It is by design.  It is why you can purchase XP boosts in the store that ups all the XP you collect by 50%. They want you to get so bored with the game that you are prepared to pay to skip gameplay. They know what a good game looks like and very deliberately padded it to encourage microtransactions. I should really have this comment in the things that piss me off about video games thread.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Straggler said:

It is by design.  It is why you can purchase XP boosts in the store that ups all the XP you collect by 50%. They want you to get so bored with the game that you are prepared to pay to skip gameplay. They know what a good game looks like and very deliberately padded it to encourage microtransactions. I should really have this comment in the things that piss me off about video games thread.

It's not the grind that bothers me, I never feel underpowered or anything it's the length of the damn story and all the stuff to do. Maybe that feeds into the microtransaction plans but I don't see what I could circumvent by paying money when it's just the sheer length of the narrative that drags for me

i didnt finish it, gave up around 80 hours in, i didnt like the region stuff, maybe 50% in when they had the first get together with the ones that you're mates with there was some story stuff where i literally did not have a clue who anyone was beyond the characters that are in Vikings

when i got to york and they just gave me more story that i didnt care about, more characters...i just gave up, its not written well enough to pull it off

also felt that compared to odyssey the cult stuff didnt hit home, wasnt as interesting, would also say that they went too far with the loot and gear and i wasnt a big fan of levelling stuff up to get the ultimate gold standard whatever its called, odyssey did the sets a lot better too

also thought that some of the side mission stuff is so banal its worthless, there's a cat in a burning building that takes 30 seconds to rescue...great...there's a curse that you have to get rid of...awesome...lets do it 30 times, of course the player wont be bored after doing it the first 7...lets chase a piece of paper across rooftops to get a tattoo!!!!! lets do it 30 times!!! **** off

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

See I got the Plat on Odyssey and Origins and didn't feel any of it was a grind but I'm really struggling to get through Valhalla.

I love the raiding sections and the world design is great but some parts are such a chore.

Spoiler

Jotunheim should have been so much better but I just found it dull - still haven't finished that bit

Edited by Designer1

I’m back on Odyssey doing the two expansion packs. 

really enjoyed The First Blade one and about halfway through the first act of the Atlantis storyline. 

I still think Odyssey is the best AC game to date and recently completed Valhalla, which had a great storyline but let down by some repetitive challenges. 

• 2 months later...

Great news for Odyssey fans! There's been a free update containing more missions and a new island to discover :)

I have just finished the Atlantis expansion pack (which was pretty well told) and back in mainland Greece and noted the new storyline!

I'm now level 77 and equipped with some gnarly Dikastes armour and Isu powered weapons.. No one will stand in my way!!! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Why did they change the gameplay so much in Valhalla? It's more like a Souls game now rather than the classic Assassins Creed gameplay I enjoyed from the first batch (1, Ezio collection etc..)

Â