Assassin's Creed series

Dodgyknees

So, I haven't played since 2 or 3, apart from flirting with the Vita game and starting the pirate one but my PS4 broke.

Just went to look for one to okay on the XB1, and there are SO MANY, I have no idea which one to jump in on. 

Which one is the best? Is there one which is  even more open world than others? 

1 is the most limited. Basically sold on its graphics. Not worth bothering with.

2 set the template the series followed for the next decade more or less. It has the best protagonist, Ezio, but might feel old now.

Brotherhood is 2 with bells on.

Revelations is 2 with bells and whistles and is the least interesting of the Ezio trilogy.

3 tries to be more ambitious but has an intensely dull setting with the US War of Independence (when it should be much more interesting), boring protagonist, and takes forever to get going.

4 is the pirate one. It takes the sailing of 3, gives it a better setting and much better characters. Probably the best of the 'classic' style of the series.

Rogue I believe is meant to be decent, it's 4 in new clothes.

Unity is the series in new clothes. On release it was a mess and in many ways it still is. It's not awful, not great either. Bit dull. It has one of the worst cases of Ubisoft filling the map up with crap.

Syndicate is liked, never played it myself but I can't imagine it's particularly bad.

Origins is a departure. It's much more loot driven and the combat is mixed up, it ditches the Arkham inspired button bashing for a Dark Souls style heavy/light attack with heavier movement and more deliberate action. It has a cool setting, looks great and is very refined. Does have a lot of crap thrown over the map but it's a good game.

Odyssey is Origins with more RPG lite stuff added and a decent setting.

The highlights of the series are 2, Brotherhood, 4, Origins and Odyssey. 2 and Brotherhood might feel old at this point, although have been updated for a re-release. 4 is still good especially if you've not burnt out on the series at the time you play it. Origins and Odyssey are both great.

• Thanks 1

The only one I really enjoyed was the pirate one, four I think. The sailing bits were really fun and the naval battles very satisfying.  I also liked the world it was in a lot.  I played the last two, but they felt very samey and not much in the way of variety.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t touched the series since AC3, but the wife got me Odyssey last year for Christmas. I fell in love with it, spent about 75 hours completing the entirety of the 3 main story lines. Now I’m almost done with Origins, which isn’t as good as Odyssey but still very solid. Syndicate is up next for me.

Edited by MNVillan

9 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Syndicate is up next for me.

The only AC game I've really, really disliked. Poorly designed, weightless combat and a disappointing story and world.

Thank gawd they decided to go a different direction with Odyssey and Origins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The only AC game I've really, really disliked. Poorly designed, weightless combat and a disappointing story and world.

Thank gawd they decided to go a different direction with Odyssey and Origins.

Syndicate is the game that forced UbiSoft to bin the series off for a couple years while they figured out a new direction to head in.

Syndicate to me is always worth playing at least once just to see the series at its lowest point, but the Witcher 3 inspired approach they took with Origins/Odyssey is definitely a huge improvement. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Picked up odessey in the sales

I don't like the series, played I think 4 of them, last one the victorian one, put a bit of time in to the american one (3?) hard to put my finger on what it is I don't like, never been a big stealth game fan, playing this it feels like the game is way behind the curve, even of ubisofts own games like far cry but this feels like the game where they finally nail it for me, they've pulled together good combat from other games, good open world map elements from other games, I'm guessing the various bits from previous AC games (I never played the pirate one with sailing and swimming) what feels like the nemesis system from LOTR but it's not and almost fairly simple missions and quests and put together a really good game 

I've put in maybe 4 hours today, just getting off keffalonia and loving it, big changes and nailed it

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Picked up odessey in the sales

I don't like the series, played I think 4 of them, last one the victorian one, put a bit of time in to the american one (3?) hard to put my finger on what it is I don't like, never been a big stealth game fan, playing this it feels like the game is way behind the curve, even of ubisofts own games like far cry but this feels like the game where they finally nail it for me, they've pulled together good combat from other games, good open world map elements from other games, I'm guessing the various bits from previous AC games (I never played the pirate one with sailing and swimming) what feels like the nemesis system from LOTR but it's not and almost fairly simple missions and quests and put together a really good game 

I've put in maybe 4 hours today, just getting off keffalonia and loving it, big changes and nailed it

In my games of the decade. This and Origins (which I'm currently playing through again) are just wonderful.

Odyssey was my GOTY in the same year RDR2 came out and knocked it into a cocked hat imo.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

In my games of the decade. This and Origins (which I'm currently playing through again) are just wonderful.

Odyssey was my GOTY in the same year RDR2 came out and knocked it into a cocked hat imo.

Like I said I think learning curve and borrowing from other games, especially far cry, early doors it has a knack that's maybe strange in that people want to do lots of menial shite that really works, RDR2 doesn't do it off the bat, maybe detrimental, another example would be days gone which throws loads of different borrowed ideas at you straight away but it's too much, not played much of it because I don't rate that either but it would be interesting to know what they learned from the division 

Odessey to me feels like they've honed in on the formula and got so much right, ironed out the flaws of all other games in this series and ubisoft games in general (ubisoft being the masters of the 7/10 game) 

I think part of why I enjoyed this game is because they didn't shoe horn in some nonsense about something happening in the present day and you being put in the body of someone else using some science stuff...and then it happened, its just bollocks left well alone

still enjoying it, not a clue how far through I am, looking at the map maybe about 25%, its not perfect - I don't think the mercenaries element adds anything, feels like they played lord of the rings thought it was a good idea and tacked it on and I like the set up but feel the war stuff could have more of an impact, its irrelevant who you side with, they could maybe have explored consequences a bit better - but on the whole its a really good well made game

On 31/12/2019 at 23:38, MaVilla said:

Played origins, thought it was good but got a bit repetitive.

Bought odyssey but actually never played a minute for some reason.

Thought they were both quite dull and repetitive to be honest. The only one I really liked was IV, Black Flag.

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Finished odyssey, came in at just over 67 hours

Will have a look at the trophies next week, will start good but then will be 2 or 3 shit ones that I can't be bothered with

Brilliant game 

I have the Plat on it. The only one that's a pain is the one where you have to unlock the whole map. Apart from that they aren't too bad.

Â