Sign in to follow this  
avfcDJ

Assassin's Creed series

So, I haven't played since 2 or 3, apart from flirting with the Vita game and starting the pirate one but my PS4 broke.

Just went to look for one to okay on the XB1, and there are SO MANY, I have no idea which one to jump in on. 

Which one is the best? Is there one which is  even more open world than others? 

Odyssey.

1 is the most limited. Basically sold on its graphics. Not worth bothering with.

2 set the template the series followed for the next decade more or less. It has the best protagonist, Ezio, but might feel old now.

Brotherhood is 2 with bells on.

Revelations is 2 with bells and whistles and is the least interesting of the Ezio trilogy.

3 tries to be more ambitious but has an intensely dull setting with the US War of Independence (when it should be much more interesting), boring protagonist, and takes forever to get going.

4 is the pirate one. It takes the sailing of 3, gives it a better setting and much better characters. Probably the best of the 'classic' style of the series.

Rogue I believe is meant to be decent, it's 4 in new clothes.

Unity is the series in new clothes. On release it was a mess and in many ways it still is. It's not awful, not great either. Bit dull. It has one of the worst cases of Ubisoft filling the map up with crap.

Syndicate is liked, never played it myself but I can't imagine it's particularly bad.

Origins is a departure. It's much more loot driven and the combat is mixed up, it ditches the Arkham inspired button bashing for a Dark Souls style heavy/light attack with heavier movement and more deliberate action. It has a cool setting, looks great and is very refined. Does have a lot of crap thrown over the map but it's a good game.

Odyssey is Origins with more RPG lite stuff added and a decent setting.

The highlights of the series are 2, Brotherhood, 4, Origins and Odyssey. 2 and Brotherhood might feel old at this point, although have been updated for a re-release. 4 is still good especially if you've not burnt out on the series at the time you play it. Origins and Odyssey are both great.

Odyssey and Origins are two of my favourite PS4 games. Absolutely loved every minute of both.

The only one I really enjoyed was the pirate one, four I think. The sailing bits were really fun and the naval battles very satisfying.  I also liked the world it was in a lot.  I played the last two, but they felt very samey and not much in the way of variety.

Brilliant, thanks all :) I'll wait and see if XB do a sale, as I've got some money on my account.

Think I'll get Odyssey, Origins, and the Pirate one 👌

Found Origins for £5. Really like it so far 

Haven’t touched the series since AC3, but the wife got me Odyssey last year for Christmas. I fell in love with it, spent about 75 hours completing the entirety of the 3 main story lines. Now I’m almost done with Origins, which isn’t as good as Odyssey but still very solid. Syndicate is up next for me.

Edited by MNVillan

they're releasing origins and odyssey as a double pack on Friday £45

when that hits the xmas sales i'll pick it up

9 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Syndicate is up next for me.

The only AC game I've really, really disliked. Poorly designed, weightless combat and a disappointing story and world.

Thank gawd they decided to go a different direction with Odyssey and Origins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The only AC game I've really, really disliked. Poorly designed, weightless combat and a disappointing story and world.

Thank gawd they decided to go a different direction with Odyssey and Origins.

Syndicate is the game that forced UbiSoft to bin the series off for a couple years while they figured out a new direction to head in.

Syndicate to me is always worth playing at least once just to see the series at its lowest point, but the Witcher 3 inspired approach they took with Origins/Odyssey is definitely a huge improvement. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Â