Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

29 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

There is previous to this we lost to West Ham in the League Cup on pens in 1999 but they fielded Onoyimni who was eligible.  Won the replay I know this as went to both games 😜 

Seems Reading got kicked out of the tournament in 2014 for exactly the same thing .

40 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

There is previous to this we lost to West Ham in the League Cup on pens in 1999 but they fielded Onoyimni who was eligible.  Won the replay I know this as went to both games 😜 

Barnsley were kicked out of FA Cup this year while Liverpool got a 200k fine for doing it in 2019 in Carabao Cup

Could go either way

The rules seem to suggest that if a team fields an ineligible player then the result is award to the oppositon, in which case Sunderland would be awarded the win, but we would still qualify as one of the best two runners up even taking away our goals from last night as well as the three points

And I think that would be the fairest outcome, Man Utd would complain, but take away the Sunderland win and we've still been better than over the three previous games, in which we didn't do anything wrong, we could have lost night last night and Man Utd would have gone out of the competition in that scenario as well, if they haven't been the second best team then they haven't been the second best team, it's not as if we will have had an advantage over them owing to last night's result if it's take away

If we've got any players lined up to come in for the last week of the transfer window I hope this doesn't put them off, we really could do with another defender at least, last night we played our only two fit central defenders, Ideally a midfielder as well, and we had to play Blindkilde as DM first half and then Nobbs in that role second half, just to give Staniforth a rest

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Barnsley were kicked out of FA Cup this year while Liverpool got a 200k fine for doing it in 2019 in Carabao Cup

Could go either way

Such is life the rich get away with it and the little man suffers!

2 hours ago, useless said:

Still think the player has a responsibility to raise the fact she has already  played in the competition for another team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smg said:

Still think the player has a responsibility to raise the fact she has already  played in the competition for another team.

I think it's poor from club secretary, manager and player.

• Like 4

For all we know she might have said something, but if the player and staff have been told that she's allowed to play, by someone who's job is to check these things, maybe they trusted that and went along with it, if Noelle and Wardy are told she can play, can they be expected to start studying the rules to make sure that that's correct, that's not their job

1 hour ago, useless said:

For all we know she might have said something, but if the player and staff have been told that she's allowed to play, by someone who's job is to check these things, maybe they trusted that and went along with it, if Noelle and Wardy are told she can play, can they be expected to start studying the rules to make sure that that's correct, that's not their job

Isn’t it? I think you’re giving a massive free pass to people who should know better. I think you’re probably right with your logic about how it was a mistake based on something to do with Arsenals initial CL qualification and the fact that Nobbs could play for us last year after joining because Arsenal had not entered the competition at that stage. But Nobbs hadn’t played in that competition.

However Im amazed that nobody questioned that Maritz would be able to feature for 2 teams in the same competition within the same season. Like not one person asked this mystery admin person to double check?

• Like 2

Why is it a mystery admin person, the women's side have all the support staff just like the men's team, I know this as have seen them all listed on linkdin. Doesn't really matter who the fans think is to blame, we've admitted the mistake as a club, and now have to wait and see what our punishment is.

28 minutes ago, useless said:

Why is it a mystery admin person, the women's side have all the support staff just like the men's team, I know this as have seen them all listed on linkdin. Doesn't really matter who the fans think is to blame, we've admitted the mistake as a club, and now have to wait and see what our punishment is.

Have we admitted it?  I hadn’t seen anything from the club.

Emma Sanders has said we have, so you can pretty much take it as a given that w have, as she's the most reliable journalist in women's football

• Like 1

The club haven't said anything publicy, looks like the twitter has been told not to tweet anyting either, even if not related to last night's game, I guess they're waiting to see what the FA say first, and the FA are probably waiting to see what happens tonight, although that really shouldn't matter. The draw for the quarter-finals is tomorrow, so a decision will have to be made befor then

Can anyone give me a recent example where any player has been able to represent two teams in the same cup competition?

Being aware of cup tied players is one of the most basic fundamentals of team selection in cup games. Something every player and manager would be all over.

I can't imagine any situation at this level of the game whereby player and manager, when every professional instinct based on their knowledge of the game tells them the player must be cup tied, do not have sufficient doubt to strongly question the accuracy of being told the player is eligible to play.

Edited by Villanbee
Omitted word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Villanbee said:

Can anyone give me a recent example where any player has been able to represent two teams in the same competition?

Being aware of cup tied players is one of the most basic fundamentals of team selection in cup games. Something every player and manager would be all over.

I can't imagine any situation at this level of the game whereby player and manager, when every professional instinct based on their knowledge of the game tells them the player must be cup tied, do not have sufficient doubt to strongly question the accuracy of being told the player is eligible to play.

I seem to recall a club being thrown out of the FA Cup quite recently for this. It was Barnsley in November. They said it was an administrative error and played the player in a 1st Round replay at Horsham, which they won.

Edited by John

Clubs aren't normally thrown out of the competitions for things like this, it's just the result is usually awarded to the oppositon, so as a consequence in a competition like the FA Cup, the offending club will lose their place by virtue of it being a knock-out tournament, so effectively they're kicked out, but that's not the actual punishment technically, the punishment is the oppositon being awarded the win, which amounts to the same thing, but the distinction is important, because if the same offence is committed in the league, they're not going kick the offending team out, but will again award the oppositon the points, or deduct points from the offending team, because that's not a knock out compettion the consequences aren't as immediately dire.

By rights, Sunderland should be awarded the win for last night and that should be our punishment, and I think that's what it states should happen in the FA's own rules, we didn't do anything wrong in any of the previous three games, so shouldn't face any punishment for those, it just so happens that we did incredibly well in those three games, so would still qualify anyway without the Sunderland win

But of course the FA will be desperate to have Man Utd in the quarter-finals, that's probably why we haven't heard anything yet, despite the draw being tomorrow, the FA probably hoping that Spurs lose tonight, which would allow them to just award Sunderland the win last night, and Man Utd would still qualify as the second best runner up, after us.

The more I think about it the best way to handle it would probably be just to replay the game and maybe fine us

Are there any other ways we can come up with to justify us not being kicked out of the competition for not complying with the rules ?

1 hour ago, Villanbee said:

Can anyone give me a recent example where any player has been able to represent two teams in the same cup competition?

you can in Europe

Â