Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I watched first half and England were poor as a team, barely created any chances whatsoever, there's no way Daly can be blamed, she had no service other than hopeful balls hit towards her, she did have a few half chances and forced the keeper into a good save from one of them.

England looked rusty as an whole, if Daly's lost her place in the starting line-up based on that then so should most of the other players that started, would be crazy to drop her after one forty-five minues in a game in which most of the team obviously lacked match fitness, wasn't even as if she played badly, was getting into good positions and if delivery was better would have been in on goal a few times.

I didn't see second half so didn't see how Russo did, but I don't think you change plans based on one game like that, if Russo played for us and got ten goals and one assist, and Daly played for Man Utd and got twenty-two goals and five assists and won player of the season, then there wouldn't even be a debate about who should be starting as No.9, it's not even as if Daly is a goal poacher and nothing else, her all round game is brilliant as well.

• Like 2

Some transfers might get delayed because of World Cup, but should see a few more deals happening from tomorrow. Think we will be announcing a few in the coming weeks, as Ward said several have already been agreed, with a few others that just need pushing over the line. Such a strange transfer window as on the one hand we need a lot of players, but on the other we did so well last season that's it's hard to see where we actually improve the starting eleven, but I'm sure we will so will be very interesting to see what happens.

• Like 2

On 02/07/2023 at 16:06, robby b said:

I'm a bit concerned that yesterday Rachel Daly might have blown her chance for the starting position at the WC, with this from the BBC report writer: "Daly failed to take her chance from the start as number nine, struggling to have an impact and missing a few opportunites". Russo replaced her at half time and it sounds like she played well. Oh dear. (Well I'm happy for Russo but I'd prefer to see one of our own get the start position!)

She may not be first choice at the start due to Russo’s  performances in the Euros but that BBC writer is talking shite. When Russo came on she had lots of chances (some easier than Daly’s) and missed the target with most of them. I agree Daly could/ shroud have done better but that is not accurate reporting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Daly just got WSL player of the year WSL golden boot and equaled   the most goals record of all time.

She's not going to be a bit part player.

As a Netherlands supporter, this is bad news to me.

• Haha 1

On 02/07/2023 at 21:53, useless said:

Some transfers might get delayed because of World Cup, but should see a few more deals happening from tomorrow. Think we will be announcing a few in the coming weeks, as Ward said several have already been agreed, with a few others that just need pushing over the line. Such a strange transfer window as on the one hand we need a lot of players, but on the other we did so well last season that's it's hard to see where we actually improve the starting eleven, but I'm sure we will so will be very interesting to see what happens.

Yeah I did that that Ward seemed "unusually" confident when talking about transfers at the end of the season.  I suspect that means that a couple of loans might turn into permanent deals.  But I think we are now a very attractive option to either younger players hoping to play at the top of the league and maybe a couple of players who lose their starting spots in the top 4 but can see how we can offer them that chance to make an impact.  Exciting times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Daly just got WSL player of the year WSL golden boot and equaled   the most goals record of all time.

She's not going to be a bit part player.

I can almost guarantee she won’t be a starter for England 

I wondered about Parker when I saw she had been released, but then saw a lot of talk of her going to one of the Manchester clubs, I thik Arsenal mentioned as well. Patten, Parker, Corsie, and Turner would be a strong selection of centre-backs, so much so that I wonder if we could give them all enough game time as those four I imagine would expect to be playing every week; presuming we sign Patten, was expecting the fourth centre-back we sign to be more of a promising youngster that wouldn't mind being a squad player to begin with, but we will see, with the amount of injuries in womens' football probably wouldn't be overkill to have four top class central defenders, plus Rachel Corsie will turn 34 before the season starts.

5 hours ago, useless said:

Hannah Hampton has signed for Chelsea.

It would be interesting to know what was really driving Hampton's move: ambition to improve and raise her profile at a bigger quote unquote club, or pragmatism because she'd become aware that a mutual interest had developed between AVWFC and Daphne van Domselaar. Hampton's a really good and improving keeper, but from what I can tell Van Domselaar is everything Hampton is and more.  

The talk was that Hampton is going to be loaned out, either to a club Spain where she grew up, or another WSL team, if she stays in WSL probably going to end up somehwere like West Ham, Liverpool, or Leicester

I'm not really too worried about her leaving, I'm sure she had her reasons, whilst she was here did very well, always gave her all, and from what I can tell was a good teammate to the other players, also seemed she had a very good rapport with the fans.

As I've said players moving on in women's game is much more common, it's not just us it happens to, probably wasn't West Ham's choice to release Lucy Parker or Grace Fisk, Man United have lost two of their best players in Alessio Russo and Ona Batlle, Chelsea lost Magdalena Eriksson and Pernille Harder, just seems to be the way it is, even for the big clubs, I think probably because of shorter contracts and smaller wages in women's football.

But main reason not concerned about losing Hampton is because we've got a very good replacement, who might be just as good if not better, we've also got a very good back-up goalkeeper in Anna Leat who we're lucky to have as a No.2 as is probably good enough to be a No.1 in her own right.

• Like 2

It’s annoying when the women’s teams are being seen in the same regard as the men’s teams… just because it’s one of Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and let’s face it Liverpool next season, they feel like they have to end up at one of these clubs. It will lead to the women’s game falling on its ass quite quickly. 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, useless said:

The talk was that Hampton is going to be loaned out, either to a club Spain where she grew up, or another WSL team, if she stays in WSL probably going to end up somehwere like West Ham, Liverpool, or Leicester

I'm not really too worried about her leaving, I'm sure she had her reasons, whilst she was here did very well, always gave her all, and from what I can tell was a good teammate to the other players, also seemed she had a very good rapport with the fans.

As I've said players moving on in women's game is much more common, it's not just us it happens to, probably wasn't West Ham's choice to release Lucy Parker or Grace Fisk, Man United have lost two of their best players in Alessio Russo and Ona Batlle, Chelsea lost Magdalena Eriksson and Pernille Harder, just seems to be the way it is, even for the big clubs, I think probably because of shorter contracts and smaller wages in women's football.

But main reason not concerned about losing Hampton is because we've got a very good replacement, who might be just as good if not better, we've also got a very good back-up goalkeeper in Anna Leat who we're lucky to have as a No.2 as is probably good enough to be a No.1 in her own right.

with russo leaving united probly means hanson stops there

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s annoying when the women’s teams are being seen in the same regard as the men’s teams… just because it’s one of Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and let’s face it Liverpool next season, they feel like they have to end up at one of these clubs. It will lead to the women’s game falling on its ass quite quickly. 

Where have you come to conclusion Liverpool and Spurs will be seen  as bigger?

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Rather than Chelsea, who seem flush with goalies, I thought Arsenal might've shown an interest in Hampton. I know Zinsberger is an established international and a big character and all that, but she's always struck me as a bit of a weak link whenever I've seen Arsenal - you get the impression she's not quite prepared to put her body on the line as much as a committed, top-drawer keeper should be prepared to. 

Just watched transfer segment of podcast with that Graham Falk who's reported our interest in Lucy Parker, and on that he and other journalist are talking as we're a lot closer than just being interested,  they're suggesting that she's coming to us and has turned down Man City to do so.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2023 at 12:49, useless said:

Hannah Hampton has signed for Chelsea.

For nothing too. A good pick up for Chelsea at the end of her contract with us, perhaps not such a good move for HH, it's all very well being signed by the League Champions, but how often will she start and will her England prospects be hampered by a lack of game time with them? That's her problem though. 

• Like 1

Â