The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Minor digression. Just saw the team in Minnesota on avfc @ YouTube.  What's the point of these modern black bibs they are using? I know it's been around for a decade or so, but still? 

Measure distance covered, exertion etc

CBs:

Tall, athletic, great passers with ability to bring the ball out of play. 

Fullbacks:

Hard working, energetic, hard tacklers with a good cross in them. 

Midfielders:

All exceptional at keeping hold of the ball. All hard working. All able to break the lines.All able to play one twos, do lay offs, shift the field of play, play thru balls, put in crosses, decent long shots. 

Wingers:

Pacey, direct, able to beat a man or two. Cut inside and shoot or put in a decent cross. 

Strikers:

Target man with pace, who can finish in various ways. Good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. 

Can't wait for the season to get started. Hopefully I won't be brought straight back to earth. 

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

How do people fancy this starting lineup if the Heaton and Trezeguet deals can go through?

startingeleven-1.jpg.b7daca0f8039f7e2b582976ce34e613a.jpg

I have my doubts on Trezeguet as a starter. Not sure about Heaton but I don't mind him. If we could Benrahma and getting El Ghazi to the right, or get Jarrod Bowen (or someone from abroad) that would be perfect.

If you add Douglas and Trezeguet, as an example, into that squad it completely changes the dynamic. 

Interesting to hear Purslow talking about wanting two players for every position, but not necessarily direct replacements. Complimentary players was the word he used I think, so having slightly different skillsets. 

We could yet see another 2 centre mids at playing deeper as well as pushing forward, plus another striker and a winger. If that is the case we are indeed going to have to make the most of the remaining £40m or so before FFP kicks in. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you add Douglas and Trezeguet, as an example, into that squad it completely changes the dynamic. 

Interesting to hear Purslow talking about wanting two players for every position, but not necessarily direct replacements. Complimentary players was the word he used I think, so having slightly different skillsets. 

Exactly why I would keep Kodjia.

He adds something completely different  and, albeit the Championship, he tore teams to pieces on his own at times. There's a time and a place for selfish play every now and then. Think he deserves his shot at this level too IMO.

• Like 3

On 18/07/2019 at 22:49, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We could yet see another 2 centre mids at playing deeper as well as pushing forward, plus another striker and a winger. If that is the case we are indeed going to have to make the most of the remaining £40m or so before FFP kicks in. 

It does doesn't it. Without counting Davis/O'Hare etc it would leave the first team squad with 6 central midfielders, 5 CB's, 4 wingers, 3 strikers, 3 goalies, 3 RB's and 2 LBs. (A far cry from the Bruce style 1xCB and 5xRB's and so on!). The attention moves very much to where we can improve not where we are short of numbers.

Assuming Douglas & Trezeguet go through this week, this is how we look:

image.png.4accadf2b5d4e4d3df08a9092ca37938.png

Midfield depth scares the crap out of me.  Green needs a full season of starting games in the Championship still, Lansbury is made of glass, and Thor isn't good enough to play Premier League football.  If we have to add only one more player to the squad, it needs to be another CM.  

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think Konsa will be on the bench KMitch? Smith was talking him up the other day, saying he’ll play for England, I’ll be amazed if he’s on our bench 

I think Mings and Engels will be first choice and Konsa will be eased in this season. Smith was very much talking about potential and the future with him. Engels however, he was talking about chasing him for 18 months etc. 

The flip side is that Engels might not hit the ground running and Konsa seizes the opportunity. The beauty of competition. 

Then there’s Chester too...

Â