Racism Part two

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Not sure what's going on here but it doesn't seem to have any trigger, at least in the article. Wonder if it's down to just unlawfulness or whether it's has a right wing group behind it

Knowsley: Three arrested after protest at Merseyside asylum seeker hotel

"Three people have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder following clashes outside a Merseyside hotel providing refuge for asylum seekers."

Belongs in the tory thread, those **** have made this kind of action all but inevitable with their lies and hateful rhetoric. Don't look at us, it's these desperate people on boats that are your enemy, but our hands are tied, do what you will.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think you have to look at the statistics. I'd guess (don't have the data to hand) that your chances of success - whether you define that as financial or simply not being at risk of violence - are on average - better if you're white-skinned rather than brown. 

But there are obviously other factors - class, location, family circumstances, etc. Would you rather be a poor white working-class kid on a sink estate, or a middle-class black kid with a private education? 

There's always more to it than ethnicity, but ethnicity still matters (sadly). 

In US higher education many schools give admissions preference to Black and Latino students over White and Asian. It's a weird one because in theory you could have a first generation Vietnamese student and child of war refugees being denied admission so that an upper middle class Argentinian student and child of architects gets in because they are Latino by definition. And in Argentina and other parts of Latin America, many Argentinians are considered White. Just goes to show how ridiculous the concept of race is.

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

Not sure what's going on here but it doesn't seem to have any trigger, at least in the article. Wonder if it's down to just unlawfulness or whether it's has a right wing group behind it

Knowsley: Three arrested after protest at Merseyside asylum seeker hotel

"Three people have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder following clashes outside a Merseyside hotel providing refuge for asylum seekers."

Right-wing anti-assylum seeker words removed had a protest last night because The Suites Hotel is being used to house assylum seekers. There, obviously given the location, a counter protest. A Police van was set on fire.

Definitely a right wing group, the usual suspects in this area

It was known in advance that the right wing protest was going to happen, hence the counter demonstration

I'm sure the people who have just taken on the former Holiday Inn Express opposite the Suites Hotel which opened under its new name and management only last week are delighted

I fully expect this to be the usual words removed we chased out of the city regularly before the pandemic (they aren't usually from Liverpool)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

a failing hotel

It wasn't particularly a failing hotel. It used to do alright from the business (its sat at the edge of two HUGE industrial Parks) & football crowds plus a fairly good function suite business for weddings at weekends but government paid full occupancy does indeed more than pay the bills. Describing it as failing isn't correct though

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

It wasn't particularly a failing hotel. It used to do alright from the business (its sat at the edge of two HUGE industrial Parks) & football crowds plus a fairly good function suite business for weddings at weekends but government paid full occupancy does indeed more than pay the bills. Describing it as failing isn't correct though

It can’t have been doing that well if housing asylum seekers was seen as better business going forward

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It can’t have been doing that well if housing asylum seekers was seen as better business going forward

100% occupancy with assylum seekers, money guaranteed by the government. You don't have to be a failing business to find that kind oif deal attractive

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You would be surprised, the amount councils are charged to house the vulnerable people in society is high, £200 a night is the going rate.

I know nothing of the hotel in Knowsley.

But from my own personal experience, there was until recently one hotel in Ipswich I could use for work stop overs. It is now an asylum hotel, or hostel or whatever. The result is that I no longer stay in that hotel. In fact, I no longer stay in Ipswich, I arrange my travel to end up somewhere else at the end of the day.

Not a big deal for me, and in the grand scheme of things once every couple of months I’d have booked a hundred quid room, had a pint in the bar, gone out for a takeaway, probably grabbed a drive through coffee in the morning .

But then, there are probably a significant number of others all now doing the same thing.

No big deal for me, possibly a big deal for a swathe of local businesses.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

You would be surprised, the amount councils are charged to house the vulnerable people in society is high, £200 a night is the going rate.

Whereas next weekend, a school holiday weekend, I'm only paying £200 for 2 nights in a Travelodge in London

1 hour ago, bickster said:

are the hotels given the choice? or mandated by the government that they must turn the hotel into an asylum hostel? i've always presumed the former, in which case these far right groups' anger is likely directed towards the wrong people...

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

are the hotels given the choice? or mandated by the government that they must turn the hotel into an asylum hostel? i've always presumed the former, in which case these far right groups' anger is likely directed towards the wrong people...

Pretty sure its choice

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know nothing of the hotel in Knowsley.

But from my own personal experience, there was until recently one hotel in Ipswich I could use for work stop overs. It is now an asylum hotel, or hostel or whatever. The result is that I no longer stay in that hotel. In fact, I no longer stay in Ipswich, I arrange my travel to end up somewhere else at the end of the day.

Not a big deal for me, and in the grand scheme of things once every couple of months I’d have booked a hundred quid room, had a pint in the bar, gone out for a takeaway, probably grabbed a drive through coffee in the morning .

But then, there are probably a significant number of others all now doing the same thing.

No big deal for me, possibly a big deal for a swathe of local businesses.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b7f01383e960892d72986ab34e9e77b.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

100% occupancy with assylum seekers, money guaranteed by the government. You don't have to be a failing business to find that kind oif deal attractive

Failing is maybe strong, but it’s hardly a thriving hotel business if it’s choosing this instead. 

The point is people always moan that hotels are taking on asylum seekers and it’s a shame to see them doing that etc. Yet would never use the hotel themselves. 

If the hotel was so great then it would keep being a hotel

29 minutes ago, tinker said:

I know. The hotel I used to work at is doing it. My point is as above

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Failing is maybe strong, but it’s hardly a thriving hotel business if it’s choosing this instead.

i think there has to be an element to this. these refugees aren't sat down in the restaurant deciding which bottle of wine to have with their dinner. the hotel might have the rooms all full, but they lose out on all the bar and food sales whilst (presumably) also making savings by cancelling things like the daily maid service and manning the reception desk 24/7

i have no industry knowledge so it's a total speculation, but surely a 75% full hotel of paying customers gives the owner more money than 100% full of refugees

Their argument is that it isn't a right wing protest but that it's just concerned locals protecting their children.

I assume therefore that there is plenty of evidence that the immigrants housed in the hotel have been attacking local children.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The point is people always moan that hotels are taking on asylum seekers and it’s a shame to see them doing that etc. Yet would never use the hotel themselves. 

If the hotel was so great then it would keep being a hotel

Really ? In this day and age with a cost of living crisis that is effecting the so called middle classes and businesses whom mid price hotels are staple customers this time more than ever. Ludicrous statement 

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats a fairly high occupancy rate for any hotel

well then i guess that's exactly why they open their doors for refugees if that's the case. for a hotel owner it's a no brainer.

anyway having a quick read of the story, sounds like a social media rumour got started about one of the new residents making advances towards a young girl. the rumour has been swiftly debunked by the police but sounds like this group just ignored that fact and went after them anyway

Â