Dean Smith

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, jonjon said:

It was always our weakest point with DS at the helm, and he seemed very reluctant to change the system, but we spent nearly £35 million (an astronomical amount for us) in the summer on a GK, 3 defenders, one midfield and two forwards, I think we were able to purchased very wisely mainly due to the fact we made £45 million in sales, it has taken us a few months to gel, but is now all coming together and fitting in place, as we now have the best defensive record in the Championship.

Really easy to say that since you spent money compared to previous seasons that's the sole reason to an improvement in defence.

But i only think it's a minor factor. I believe it's all about tactics and the system. Even with the players you got in defense now i still think you would leak goals under Smith. Look how good Sheff Utd are defensively with a limited squad. IMO it's coaching.

Fair play to you guys. I back you for promotion.

I could pick a different team every game.

players have bad games, get left out, 2 games later ,theye are suddenly better than the one who's replaced them.....its as though time changes everything......rinse & repeat.

There are so many not good enough....its hard to choose any.

team selections just go over my head now......the faults I see, most of them have them.....its hobsons choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Really easy to say that since you spent money compared to previous seasons that's the sole reason to an improvement in defence.

But i only think it's a minor factor. I believe it's all about tactics and the system. Even with the players you got in defense now i still think you would leak goals under Smith. Look how good Sheff Utd are defensively with a limited squad. IMO it's coaching.

Not Automatic.

20 minutes ago, striker said:

Clearly Terry has been employed as defensive coach yet has mainly escaped criticism.

Smith has been terrible defensively wherever he's been.

Way too soon to write off Terry or even criticize him. Our defensive issues is because of Smith imo, although you get slaughtered on here if you criticize the almighty Villa boyhood fan.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well you never know in the Championship.

Such a unpredictable league.

They have flair, but not strong enough.

not combative enough like Albion and Leeds.

Take Man city, yesterday.....we could all see their sublime skills, but what about their physical contact.....it was there....they can stop you playing and they did, we couldn't get the ball.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah, what would a Brentford fan know anyway. Way more likely it’s 99% Smiths fault. He can’t disprove your claims that they would concede just as many goals with this players either so we should just assume it would be the case.

Sheff Utd were also the best team defensively in the Championship last year. They’ve got some decent defenders.

• Like 1

Been checking his Walsall managerial record. The man spent 5 years there and aside from his first season(which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he started managing mid-season), he's finished 19th, 9th, 13th and 14th with them. The season after he left? They finished 3rd. And Walsall had been finishing 10th place the season before he started managing.

There's an even less nice looking picture looking at his Brentford record. The season before Smith joined, Brentford reached the Playoffs. In the next 3 years of Smith's management, they would continuously fail to reach the playoffs year after year. The year after he leaves? They're looking like reaching the playoffs again.

Now, I know some people like to interpret this as him leaving a great legacy for his successors to inherit. But it doesn't explain why the season prior to him joining, the club were doing better than he would do with them in the future. Ironically, it really seems like Smith is the type of manager based on his previous managerial records to steady the ship when clubs need a quick and easy fix and he can go one better and keep them at a certain level. But he's not a manager who can bring them up beyond their level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Yeah, what would a Brentford fan know anyway. Way more likely it’s 99% Smiths fault. He can’t disprove your claims that they would concede just as many goals with this players either so we should just assume it would be the case.

Sheff Utd were also the best team defensively in the Championship last year. They’ve got some decent defenders.

Most people predicted them to go down before the season. Which is an indication that most people doesn't rate their players.

Even now i don't think a lot of Prem clubs would take many of Sheff Utds players in their starting XI

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Been checking his Walsall managerial record. The man spent 5 years there and aside from his first season(which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he started managing mid-season), he's finished 19th, 9th, 13th and 14th with them. The season after he left? They finished 3rd. And Walsall had been finishing 10th place the season before he started managing.

There's an even less nice looking picture looking at his Brentford record. The season before Smith joined, Brentford reached the Playoffs. In the next 3 years of Smith's management, they would continuously fail to reach the playoffs year after year. The year after he leaves? They're looking like reaching the playoffs again.

Now, I know some people like to interpret this as him leaving a great legacy for his successors to inherit. But it doesn't explain why the season prior to him joining, the club were doing better than he would do with them in the future. Ironically, it really seems like Smith is the type of manager based on his previous managerial records to steady the ship when clubs need a quick and easy fix and he can go one better and keep them at a certain level. But he's not a manager who can bring them up beyond their level.

To be fair, that's quite interesting. I'm not a 'Smith out' man, but that doesn't make for pretty reading at all. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith has been terrible defensively wherever he's been.

Walsall:

11/12 - DS took over in Jan. 12th for GA. Finished 19th.

12/13 - 12th for GA. Finished 9th.

13/14 - 6th for GA. Finished 13th.

14/15 - 6th for GA. Finished 14th.

To add some context they were 22nd for GA the year before he took over and join the 5th with three other teams the season he left after a few months. 12th the first full year he wasn’t in charge.

Doesn't look that bad?

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Most people predicted them to go down before the season. Which is an indication that most people doesn't rate their players.

Even now i don't think a lot of Prem clubs would take many of Sheff Utds players in their starting XI

Maybe some did, but I predicted them to go up this year!

Don't disagree with the 2nd bit, but they do have defenders who can defend. Wilder has also done a good job with the system that works for those players.

If Villa board don't want to spend any money, don't want to sack the manager, the solution is to "do a boro"

When Middlesboro chairman Gibson brought in "the cockney messiah" Venables as co manager to bryan robson at the turn of the century, apart from Robsons increasing moody demeanour it worked wonders.

If Villa brought in Allardyce and give him a special title such as "team manager" this would

a) not put Smith's nose out of join as his title is head coach.

2) The smith fan boys get to keep their hero in a job

3)Villa get somone in charge who knows what he's doing

This would be groundbreaking and send shockwaves through premiership football, Purslow should ACT NOW!

Well it seems to of started with the Smith out now by fans tweeting stuff I don't necessarily agree with saying. If you want him gone be nice about it at least, no need to tear into the guy that got us promoted.

Some fans want Dean Smith to leave before it’s too late

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/aston-villa/aston-villa-fans-want-dean-smith-leave-before-too-late/

9 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He actually left at the end of November with an August manager of the month award for the year they finished 3rd so managed them for a considerable amount of that season. 

Year after that they finished 14th. Then 19th. Then relegated.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Is it just me or is there a simple solution?

1) When we are getting pinned back in our own half, tell defenders to boot it away, not pass it around playing tiki taka.

2) buy a striker who can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Someone strong, good positional sense, who wins headers. Doesnt matter if they score loads or not - weve already proved we can score from other areas.

3) dont play taylor or elmo. Ever.

4) trez and el ghazi should not take on three or four players, take one player on and pass it. 

5) stop conceding after half time. Be hard to beat rather than trying to emulate how liverpool and city play. We are not there yet. We can only dream of getting there by staying in this league and rebuilding.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Its not that they have great players individually.....its that they play as a team with high intensity and opposition teams don't like it.......they are hard to play against and you have to work damn hard to keep up with them....there are no passengers at Sheff Utd.

We was very similar under Saunders, no body wanted our players, but we was a team with a great work rate and teams found us hard to play against.

10 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Is it just me or is there a simple solution?

1) When we are getting pinned back in our own half, tell defenders to boot it away, not pass it around playing tiki taka.

2) buy a striker who can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Someone strong, good positional sense, who wins headers. Doesnt matter if they score loads or not - weve already proved we can score from other areas.

3) dont play taylor or elmo. Ever.

4) trez and el ghazi should not take on three or four players, take one player on and pass it. 

5) stop conceding after half time. Be hard to beat rather than trying to emulate how liverpool and city play. We are not there yet. We can only dream of getting there by staying in this league and rebuilding.

been saying it for ages.

The problem as I see it is.....the 2 we bought for the middle, to win the ball , Nakamba & Luiz, right now are not good enough.

Edited by TRO

Â