Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, gwi1890 said:

We should have Very much like the shef utd game 2 points dropped 

I think we were more worried about Sheffield rather than what we could do. We were solid if not looking like winning.

We showed bottle today and in a relegation scrap its vital.

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

We should have Very much like the shef utd game 2 points dropped 

the good thing is that we arent conceding many chances unlike before the break.  If we can match the defensive edge with our previous attacking edge we might get safe.

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Not so much in league position as in the way we play..... 

This is kind of where I'm at with fans mindset though. For me it doesn't matter how we do it as long as we do it. We are a newly promoted team, lets survive and then build from there. We can worry about improving our style once we are a bit more cemented as a club in this league. 

Deserves to stay until the end of the season.
At the start of the season I would have taken 17th all day every day given our squad (or lack of it)
We're still within touching distance of hitting that goal. Do I think we will? No. Have stranger things happened in football? Yes. So we'll see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Keeper

Konsa.       Mings.       Hause

Elmo.          Luis.    Nakamba.     Targett

Jack

Davis.        Samatta 

Had to be the way forward. 

I agree that this is better than what we had out there tonight but the problem for me when we play the 3 and someone like Elmo we more often than not end up with a back 5 (especially against better teams) & not sure the players are totally comfortable with it either. That said it keeps El Ghazi out who regularly under performs and Trez who is just terrible 🙈

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Actually we will, we are closer to safety now after they games than we were before the restart.  So while I understand your point, you are actually wrong.  If our rivals continue as they are and we continue the way we are we will gain more points that them and will be safe.

Looking at the run ins it’s hard to see where the wins will come , we need to beat one of the top clubs at least , it will be very difficult indeed . 

I keep reading that we are lucky other teams are shit. That's not luck, that's a relegation battle. There are poor teams in this league, we are one of them and we need to make sure we finish above the other poor teams. At the moment we are on the same points as 2 of them. 

16 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Stop with this psycho babble nonsense that you've been coming at people for a few days with now when some here expected us to do better this season. Newly promoted teams DO actually do well. Bournemouth. Brighton. Wolves. Swansea. Watford. People have different opinions to you, don't come from a lesser level of intellect who don't understand the points you are ( repeatedly ) trying to make. 

Anyone who saw our squad when the window shut and thought we wouldn't be in a relegation scrap was crazy. 

Everyone wants the club to do better than just survive, but you also have to be realistic. Just saying we should do better because we want us to is stupid. There are serious limitations within our squad at this level.

• Like 2

Just now, Eastie said:

Looking at the run ins it’s hard to see where the wins will come , we need to beat one of the top clubs at least , it will be very difficult indeed . 

Depends how they play, Leicester look like they have dropped off so will Liverpool do the same once they have won the title.  Will Palace, Everton, Arsenal really care by the time we play them...like Newcastle today. Can we take advantage unlike we did today.

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Deserves to stay until the end of the season.
At the start of the season I would have taken 17th all day every day given our squad (or lack of it)
We're still within touching distance of hitting that goal. Do I think we will? No. Have stranger things happened in football? Yes. So we'll see. 

Absolutely this. 

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

What we do know is he picked the wrong team again as highlighted pre match thread by virtually everyone except the 2 people who seem to defend dean smith whatever he does - and continually do so - he is a dreadful negative manager who has retreated into a shell in recent months to be polite - and that is being very kind to him 

Amazing that you have the hubris to be confident that you know the fitness, mindset and form of each player to enable you to out think the coaching staff who work with them all week

I don’t always agree with the managers selection but I’m realistic enough to know that elements affect that decision of which the average fan is totally unaware 

Our squad is poor. 17th would be a great finish. This is exactly what 17th place football feels like

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

the good thing is that we arent conceding many chances unlike before the break.  If we can match the defensive edge with our previous attacking edge we might get safe.

Yes but we still have the odd clanger like Nyland getting knocked in to his own goal and the defending for the goal today, we should have played this harder to break down style from the start of the season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes but we still have the odd clanger like Nyland getting knocked in to his own goal and the defending for the goal today, we should have played this harder to break down style from the start of the season 

I agree

6 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I agree that this is better than what we had out there tonight but the problem for me when we play the 3 and someone like Elmo we more often than not end up with a back 5 (especially against better teams) & not sure the players are totally comfortable with it either. That said it keeps El Ghazi out who regularly under performs and Trez who is just terrible 🙈

The last sentence is key for me mate. 

Our wingers are utterly useless, so removing them whilst providing support up top is a win win for me. 

16 minutes ago, Eastie said:

What we do know is he picked the wrong team again as highlighted pre match thread by virtually everyone except the 2 people who seem to defend dean smith whatever he does - and continually do so - he is a dreadful negative manager who has retreated into a shell in recent months to be polite - and that is being very kind to him 

How can you argue with this level of arrogance?

We know that do we? Trezeguet and Samatta finish easy chances and we still know that? 

You've gone past the line with Smith now, I know because I've been there with managers in the past. You clearly won't be happy with anything that he does until he goes. From past experience let me tell you it's not fun, it ruins following the team. One of the main reasons I decided to change my mindset in the summer and accept what ever happens and go for that 17th place. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Depends how they play, Leicester look like they have dropped off so will Liverpool do the same once they have won the title.  Will Palace, Everton, Arsenal really care by the time we play them...like Newcastle today. Can we take advantage unlike we did today.

If I thought smith would ditch the wingers and go Samatta and davis up front with jack in behind I’d be more hopeful but I really can’t see him changing , mcginn also has looked well off the pace too , changes in formation and team selection are needed on Saturday . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Amazing that you have the hubris to be confident that you know the fitness, mindset and form of each player to enable you to out think the coaching staff who work with them all week

I don’t always agree with the managers selection but I’m realistic enough to know that elements affect that decision of which the average fan is totally unaware 

Our squad is poor. 17th would be a great finish. This is exactly what 17th place football feels like

That last sentence is nail on the head. 

This is what aiming to finish 17th looks like. It's ugly and shit to watch. It's the same for Bournmouth and West Ham. 

Don't we remember what barely surviving looked like under Mcleish and Lambert. This is what it is. I'm not sure why people are so surprised. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How can you argue with this level of arrogance?

We know that do we? Trezeguet and Samatta finish easy chances and we still know that? 

You've gone past the line with Smith now, I know because I've been there with managers in the past. You clearly won't be happy with anything that he does until he goes. From past experience let me tell you it's not fun, it ruins following the team. One of the main reasons I decided to change my mindset in the summer and accept what ever happens and go for that 17th place. 

I’ve followed villa for 50 years , it’s not arrogance it’s an opinion that differs to yours that’s all , I’ve seen you have a pop at several posters who’ve called for smiths head , it’s their opinion which is the whole point of a forum .

by all means feel free to defend smith as is your right but why have a pop at several people who disagree ?  

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I’ve followed villa for 50 years , it’s not arrogance it’s an opinion that differs to yours that’s all , I’ve seen you have a pop at several posters who’ve called for smiths head , it’s their opinion which is the whole point of a forum .

by all means feel free to defend smith as is your right but why have a pop at several people who disagree ?  

It's arrogance to claim you knew what he should have done before the game even kicked off. 

Absolutely have no problem with a different opinion, I don't agree with it and choose to defend the really over the top criticism. 

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's arrogance to claim you knew what he should have done before the game even kicked off. 

Absolutely have no problem with a different opinion, I don't agree with it and choose to defend the really over the top criticism. 

It’s not arrogance - in the pre match match thread I called those mistakes before kick off as did several others , if he continues with el ghazi and the same formation on Saturday I will say the same - the system needs changing - it is not working , we  won one game since New Year’s Day in the league .

starting el ghazi and trezeguet is not really over the top criticism - let’s have respect for each other’s opinions and debate it without the over the top comments , yesterday you were accusing people of foaming at the mouth for calling for smith to go ? Relax and enjoy the debate 

change it , go 2 up front and at least have a go . We started to play once we went behind ,  we need to be on the front foot far sooner in games . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Â