John McGinn

PompeyVillan

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought he played pretty well for an hour yesterday. You can't fault his attitude or his application, he gives it everything.

The problem we have at the moment is that everything only lasts for about an hour against the athletes of the Premier league. He needs to be being brought off for the last twenty minutes of games - he's playing slightly out of his natural position and he's struggling like a lot of our players with a system that doesn't help him, but he's working hard and doing some decent things.

He's quite resilient fitness-wise, and later in the season when players are tireder, the fitness he has tends to stay with him, so in the second half of the season he'll be more capable of playing ninety, but right now, he's not a natural athlete in the way some players are and we should be making allowance by letting him give absolutely everything for an hour then replacing him with Ramsey.

John McGinn is a very decent footballer - we're not currently helping him show that.

Spot on. John would be fine if he was subbed off after 60 mins or occasionally started from the bench. He literally requires bench time and it's infuriating how SG doesn't realise this or simply refuses to do it. The way he is utilised just isn't getting the most out of him. This is a player who is capable of scoring goals for us if managed and played correctly. As things stand though it's having a negative impact on the entire team. Ludicrous.

i like the man, the passion, the dedication.  But he is as limited as a foosball figure.  Arse swivel clockwise with left foot.  stay still, waiting to make pass hoping the opposition is just as static and can't quite each him.  Spin spin spin.  He is so easy to counter

• Like 1

John hasn't become a bad player overnight, but he's played a lot of games for Scotland and his club without a decent break, and I think that has taken it's toll on him. Even the Duracell Bunny needs to have it's battery replaced eventually and I think John has basically run himself into the ground. Having the responsibility of the captaincy, couldn't really have come at a worse time for him. The time has now come for him to spend a bit of time out of the firing line and once refreshed, he can come back as the player he was for us and Scotland, not so long ago (he will also have a rest over the World Cup period, but I don't think we should continue to flog a willing horse until then). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John said:

John hasn't become a bad player overnight, but he's played a lot of games for Scotland and his club without a decent break, and I think that has taken it's toll on him. Even the Duracell Bunny needs to have it's battery replaced eventually and I think John has basically run himself into the ground. Having the responsibility of the captaincy, couldn't really have come at a worse time for him. The time has now come for him to spend a bit of time out of the firing line and once refreshed, he can come back as the player he was for us and Scotland, not so long ago (he will also have a rest over the World Cup period, but I don't think we should continue to flog a willing horse until then). 

he was never a "bad player", but he is also no more than a "good player", massively overrated by many Villa fans.

He is a severely limited, bottom half PL level, definitely not suited to a playing style requiring intelligence, intricate play, possession or control, he's a low possession, run around, direct tactics type of player.

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

he was never a "bad player", but he is also no more than a "good player", massively overrated by many Villa fans.

He is a severely limited, bottom half PL level, definitely not suited to a playing style requiring intelligence, intricate play, possession or control, he's a low possession, run around, direct tactics type of player.

Fair enough, I just still see him, at his best, as being capable of performing in a top half PL team, if played in the right position, in the right formation and with players of the right calibre playing alongside him. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't think he's taking the pressure of captaincy well.

And what was his excuse when he wasn't captain? It's not his fault. It's Gerrard's for not seeing how he's not the best option in CM 😡

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

And what was his excuse when he wasn't captain? It's not his fault. It's Gerrard's for not seeing how he's not the best option in CM 😡

He at least had a few good performances last season - seems he's regressed further since. I think he'd be best off the bench tbh - he hasn't got the stamina to do 90 in the prem. 

5 minutes ago, John said:

Fair enough, I just still see him, at his best, as being capable of performing in a top half PL team, if played in the right position, in the right formation and with players of the right calibre playing alongside him. 

if you had a team in the top half, that played a no.10, with high quality players around that no.10, no team in the top half would want McGinn in that no.10 role, as there are many, many, many better players who can play no.10, who are actually creative, intelligent, can control a football, can help control possession, and actually pass 5 yards competently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

if you had a team in the top half, that played a no.10, with high quality players around that no.10, no team in the top half would want McGinn in that no.10 role, as there are many, many, many better players who can play no.10, who are actually creative, intelligent, can control a football, can help control possession, and actually pass 5 yards competently.

Exactly this. We have two in our squad now, thats why he is forced to ply his trade behind the "No10"

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

A few of those teams have been linked with him in the past. 

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah the claim that McGinn is more suited to the 10 role is not the one. He struggles in tight areas the most. Playing as a 10 will only make this worse.

i think he is more suited to the no.10 role (of all the roles he can play), but:

1. in a team that is more direct and lower possession, a quick back to front type team.

2. No.10 in a team that cant actually afford a top level no.10 (aka: lower half PL at best).

1 minute ago, John said:

Yet surprisingly not one of them has ever bid, wonder why? The speculation was purely speculation, probably born out of nowhere, that's why.

He's prefect for the number 10 role,  running at 2mph with his arse sticking out and holding an invisible carpet under each arm, before taking 20 seconds to line up a 30 yard shot that goes 15 yards over the bar.
Or taking the ball during a decent attack, slowing it down so the opposition recover, easily, then take the ball off him and put us under pressure, as he trots back shouting at players who didn't cover for his mistake.

10 minutes ago, John said:

"linked", sure.

I would be ecstatic if someone like Manure were stupid enough to spunk 50m on him, would be one of the heists of the century.

p.s, if anyone from Manure is reading this, im just kidding, he's Zidane reborn, 75m, a bargain.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

"linked", sure.

I would be ecstatic if someone like Manure were stupid enough to spunk 50m on him, would be one of the heists of the century.

🤫 shhhhh it’ll be the bargain of the century **ahem cough cough wink wink .*** we are being ripped off with that valuation.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yet surprisingly not one of them has ever bid, wonder why? The speculation was purely speculation, probably born out of nowhere, that's why.

Or possibly we said he's not for sale or quoted a "Jack" sort of valuation? 

Â