170  (↑8)
CAM Cambodia
970.4 (+20.2)
185  (↑1)
LAO Laos
189  (↑1)
BRU Brunei Darussalam
TLS Timor-Leste

Qatar is 51 and obviously everyone agrees they should not have gotten it. For football reasons and every other reason. 

South east Asia have issues with military dictatorship, civil unrest, LGTBI issues, human rights and so on and so on.

Nice weather and beaches thou and that's what the tourist will see.

A bit like Russia then?

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

You think we should give it to them again?

Not before we give another country/region a chance…

Id argue that Thailand is the last place on Earth where there would be issues with LGBTQ supporters/players attending… They are one of the most sexually liberal nations on the planet

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

A bit like Russia then?

Like I said though Russia or Qatar getting it is one thing but having 3 or 4 nations as hosts and all of them being garbage teams? That's not good for the competition, the comment about the euros and the multi city hosts but no actual automatically qualifying host nation is more interesting 

That said I also suppose its not that different from Wales, Northern. Ireland and Scotland getting a euros :trollface:

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Not before we give another country/region a chance…

Id argue that Thailand is the last place on Earth where there would be issues with LGBTQ supporters/players attending… They are one of the most sexually liberal nations on the planet

How about Malaysia? Indonesia?

Just now, villa4europe said:

Like I said though Russia or Qatar getting it is one thing but having 3 or 4 nations as hosts and all of them being garbage teams? That's not good for the competition, the comment about the euros and the multi city hosts but no actual automatically qualifying host nation is more interesting 

That said I also suppose its not that different from Wales, Northern. Ireland and Scotland getting a euros :trollface:

How’s this for a compromise then… The 9 (maybe 10) ASEAN nations could take part in their own qualification to see which nation represents SE Asia at the World Cup which is then joint hosted by all of the countries in the region (like the Euros were)…

Then the region gets a World Cup, there would be a guaranteed representative “host nation” who has earned their right to be there and there wouldn’t be an issue of 4-5 lower quality teams taking part and “devaluing”  the tournament

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I’ve never been to Indo, so I don’t know.

But Malaysia is fairly liberal… but nowhere near as much as Thailand… from my experience anyway

From the wiki is doesn't look great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Malaysia

Same-sex sexual activity legal No (Penalty: Up to 20 years imprisonment with caning, fines and deportation.[1][2] Vigilante executions, beatings, and torture are also tolerated.[3])
Equal age of consent No
Freedom of expression No
Anti-discrimination laws in employment No
Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services No
Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech) No
Same-sex marriage(s) No
Recognition of same-sex couples No
Stepchild adoption by same-sex couples No
Adoption by single people regardless of sexual orientation Yes
Joint adoption by same-sex couples No
LGBT people allowed to serve in the military No
Right to change legal gender No Gender change generally impossible. Besides, crossdressing is illegal.
Access to IVF for lesbians No
Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples No (Illegal for all couples regardless of sexual orientation)[59]
MSMs allowed to donate blood No
Conversion therapy banned

No The government promotes it

4 minutes ago, sne said:

From the wiki is doesn't look great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Malaysia

Same-sex sexual activity legal No (Penalty: Up to 20 years imprisonment with caning, fines and deportation.[1][2] Vigilante executions, beatings, and torture are also tolerated.[3])
Equal age of consent No
Freedom of expression No
Anti-discrimination laws in employment No
Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services No
Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech) No
Same-sex marriage(s) No
Recognition of same-sex couples No
Stepchild adoption by same-sex couples No
Adoption by single people regardless of sexual orientation Yes
Joint adoption by same-sex couples No
LGBT people allowed to serve in the military No
Right to change legal gender No Gender change generally impossible. Besides, crossdressing is illegal.
Access to IVF for lesbians No
Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples No (Illegal for all couples regardless of sexual orientation)[59]
MSMs allowed to donate blood No
Conversion therapy banned

No The government promotes it

On paper - no… it doesn’t provide for positive reading…

However, I have been there a couple of times… I’ve met same sex couples, I’ve seen people crossdressing… I know that isn’t the be all and end all and it’s anecdotal evidence which is, in the grand scheme of things, worthless… So for me to read that all of these things are banned and illegal surprises me…

I would go on holiday there again, 100%…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think countries which haven't ever qualified for a World Cup should be able to buy their way in by hosting it.

Not sure I agree with this.  One just outside the top 40 ranking might never have qualified, but have a pretty large football fanbase, whereby hosting it is all they need to start a new generation of footballers better than they ever have. 

But it should be a fairly rare occurrence, and not be induced by bribery and corruption.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

World Cup has a different minimum capacity stadium than the Euros. Only 11 stadiums fit the World Cup criteria in England and 5 are in London 

It would be mainly a London tournament if was awarded now

Well that hasn’t stopped Qatar being chosen. All 8 stadiums are a maximum of 40mins from each other. 

15 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Don't like this 48 teams stuff but I do like the venues and cities hosting. Just need to get to terms with that you can't watch all games at a World Cup anymore.

Dare I say it... Thats why Qatar will be a good world cup... I'm terms of travel it'll be the best most fan friendly world cup ever, imagine a world cup in the west Midlands, will never happen again

The rest of it will be utter bollocks though 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Dare I say it... Thats why Qatar will be a good world cup... I'm terms of travel it'll be the best most fan friendly world cup ever, imagine a world cup in the west Midlands, will never happen again

The rest of it will be utter bollocks though 

Understand what you mean about Qatar in that sense but I wish that people won't be going.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Understand what you mean about Qatar in that sense but I wish that people won't be going.

To be honest I haven't bothered looking but I half suspect that they qataris will also subsidise it a fair bit to make it very attractive to travelling fans, they won their own airline... Doesnt mean they'll make the flights cheaper but they'll probably stop tournament inflation, 2026 for example id expect the likes of jet blue and South Western to jump by 400% by Qatar Airways will hold, same with these new hotels 

Still not seen what they plan on doing over beer, no doubt they'll big it up in the fan parks and the charge £12 for a 0.0000001% budweiser 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be honest I haven't bothered looking but I half suspect that they qataris will also subsidise it a fair bit to make it very attractive to travelling fans, they won their own airline... Doesnt mean they'll make the flights cheaper but they'll probably stop tournament inflation, 2026 for example id expect the likes of jet blue and South Western to jump by 400% by Qatar Airways will hold, same with these new hotels 

Still not seen what they plan on doing over beer, no doubt they'll big it up in the fan parks and the charge £12 for a 0.0000001% budweiser 

English lads buying 500 to see if they can get a buzz going

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder if the US will have their Christian version of Sharia laws fully in place for the 2026 WC?

Was thinking that

We all laugh and joke about Qatar sending people to prison for 7 years for shagging...different book same nonsense... Less shootings 

• Like 1

Â