World Cup 2026: Mexico, USA & Canada

Junxs

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If you need three countries (one of which is the USA) to host a 48 team WC competition how is that going to work for future host nations?

Its seemingly what they want

The UK is bidding for euro 28, for World Cup 30 there's talk of Morocco trying to do either a North African bid or a bid with Spain and Portugal then it'll be Argentina, Uruguay and Chile or Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia

The one country tournament is dying a death 

The US and a couple more countries has the infrastructure to pull it off. Most countries will not, even if 4 or 5 band together.

They are turning the WC into the Olympics where the hosting nations make astronomical losses and jeopardizes enormous sums.

Edit: Saudi Arabia will of course have no problem with affording it. Sure they will even pay some countries to co-host it.

Edited by sne

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its seemingly what they want

The UK is bidding for euro 28, for World Cup 30 there's talk of Morocco trying to do either a North African bid or a bid with Spain and Portugal then it'll be Argentina, Uruguay and Chile or Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia

The one country tournament is dying a death 

I don't think anyone at UEFA or FIFA cares about logistics, deaths of workers, football and most definitely the fans. The financial push of 3/4 countries is greater than 1. It's all about how they / their sponsors make the most money. Anything else, like football, deserving nations etc is completely irrelevant.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Going back to the stadiums being NFL stadiums I'm sure some of them will be astro turf and not grass, New York stadium is, I'm sure Los Angeles is too, we'll see what happens there, not only in terms of using grass but the stadium managers ability to then make it suitable to play on 

One of them has already said they will be installing grass for the World Cup

9 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I don't think anyone at UEFA or FIFA cares about logistics, deaths of workers, football and most definitely the fans. The financial push of 3/4 countries is greater than 1. It's all about how they / their sponsors make the most money. Anything else, like football, deserving nations etc is completely irrelevant.

Are you suggesting that they're hosting a world cup in North America to the benefit of their Chinese TV manufacturer and South Korean Car partners? 

Very cynical 

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I would hope that they all have to! 

They will. In 94, one of the cool moves was them putting grass inside the old Silverdome in Detroit. Was pretty unheard of at the time

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Are you suggesting that they're hosting a world cup in North America to the benefit of their Chinese TV manufacturer and South Korean Car partners? 

Very cynical 

Final will be interesting choice of venue. Last time it was in LA and think played midday local time for European audiencea

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Internet claims that the MetLife stadium in NY will host the final.

Yeah can see that too, big stadium and has the corporate draw from the city

Will be classed as New Jersey by then though 😉

AT&T is dallas could host it too but doesn't have that corporate angle 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Am i going crazy was this thread titled brazil and changed to Mexico? 

Because i replied earlier about mexico andthen  it was brazil so i had to wdit my post!

Look below this post. Mod power

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/17723-world-cup-2026-mexico-usa-canada/?do=findComment&comment=3805454

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So im not going crazy!

My original point about mexico was fans safety. Big problems over there with violent crime, and corruption. Id be very concerned to go there

The US is not great either, and will be worse still if/when Trump wins again. Probably stick to Canada just to be safe.

Then again there were loads of concerns before the South Africa and the Brazil WC about fan safety but those went pretty well I think. But yeah, no one's going to get rid of the cartels in time for the WC, or ever.

6 hours ago, sne said:

The US is not great either, and will be worse still if/when Trump wins again. Probably stick to Canada just to be safe.

Then again there were loads of concerns before the South Africa and the Brazil WC about fan safety but those went pretty well I think. But yeah, no one's going to get rid of the cartels in time for the WC, or ever.

The cartels are a different level to anything else. I hope the places the games will be in areas not cartel affiliated.

I wouldnt step foot there personally.  Canada is best option out the three definitely 

Love the idea of more teams in the World Cup.

All the best World Cups have plenty of teams that you don’t ordinarily see. I couldn’t care less about seeing Portugal vs France. I wanna see D.R. of Congo vs Peru.

I wanna see Cuba scare the shite out of Germany. I want to see Panama vs Egypt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Love the idea of more teams in the World Cup.

All the best World Cups have plenty of teams that you don’t ordinarily see. I couldn’t care less about seeing Portugal vs France. I wanna see D.R. of Congo vs Peru.

I wanna see Cuba scare the shite out of Germany. I want to see Panama vs Egypt. 

Agree with those teams but not the format, the qualifiers from the group stage will be a mess, for some reason I'm sure I also saw something about the answer for that is going to 3 team groups but surely I've made that up? 16 x 3 team groups with top 2 going through would then give you 32 teams for round 2

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree with those teams but not the format, the qualifiers from the group stage will be a mess, for some reason I'm sure I also saw something about the answer for that is going to 3 team groups but surely I've made that up? 16 x 3 team groups with top 2 going through would then give you 32 teams for round 2

Nope thats correct, teams are guaranteed 2 games instead of 3

The last group game will be open for dodgy results 

Â