World Cup 2026: Mexico, USA & Canada

Junxs

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nope thats correct, teams are guaranteed 2 games instead of 3

The last group game will be open for exciting results 

FTFY 😉

Hard to know if it will make it better or worse, still not sure what it's ultimately done to the euros, I can remember the Hungary / Germany / Portugal / France group being really good, seems like the format change didn't stop some groups being exciting some groups being shit 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY 😉

Hard to know if it will make it better or worse, still not sure what it's ultimately done to the euros, I can remember the Hungary / Germany / Portugal / France group being really good, seems like the format change didn't stop some groups being exciting some groups being shit 

With 3 teams in a group then one team doesnt play in the last game 

If a group is England, Scotland and Nigeria for example. England have already beaten Scotland and Nigeria and Scotland drew. England and Nigeria can just play out a stress free 0-0 draw 

I am sure the Italians are loving this idea 😂

• Like 1

So can we expect the countries that host the world cup in the CONCACAF region to rotate on a 34 year cycle? Seems a bit daft to prescribe a rotational regional hosting format when the options aren't there to spread who is hosting it around. 

I'm just bitter that we've still only hosted it once, compared with some other less deserving countries that have hosted it twice,  and it wasn't in my lifetime. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

So can we expect the countries that host the world cup in the CONCACAF region to rotate on a 34 year cycle? Seems a bit daft to prescribe a rotational regional hosting format when the options aren't there to spread who is hosting it around. 

I'm just bitter that we've still only hosted it once, compared with some other less deserving countries that have hosted it twice,  and it wasn't in my lifetime. 

We have zero legacy attached to hosting the tournament, even Germany they could argue they did a lot of work on the stadiums, this whole "we could host it tomorrow" stuff doesn't work in our favour, not even much of an argument that their partners and sponsors would see much growth here 

Qatar building a whole new city must be giving FIFA a huge hard on

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

We have zero legacy attached to hosting the tournament, even Germany they could argue they did a lot of work on the stadiums, this whole "we could host it tomorrow" stuff doesn't work in our favour, not even much of an argument that their partners and sponsors would see much growth here 

Qatar building a whole new city must be giving FIFA a huge hard on

But my point is it doesn't have to be about legacy.  How about just hosting a tournament with minimal environmental impact due to close proximity of venues, and minimal need to improve the infrastructure. Or, whisper it quietly, the country that invented the game getting a chance to host it for the first time in over half a century.

Of course, we don't offer enough in the way of bribes I guess.

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But my point is it doesn't have to be about legacy.  How about just hosting a tournament with minimal environmental impact due to close proximity of venues, and minimal need to improve the infrastructure. Or, whisper it quietly, the country that invented the game getting a chance to host it for the first time in over half a century.

I kind of think that with FIFA it does though

The IOC are the same

England are of course well over due but with the euros bid I'm not sure we're even trying anymore, UEFA knows all about Wembley being a corporate cash cow so that's good enough for them, FIFA are more likely to give a world cup to 7 balkans countries in a joint bid and claim that theyve finally fixed the region 

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

China have never hosted a World Cup 😉

Though the FA were bribing nations as well they just werent good at it. Nothing suspicious about away friendlies vs Trinidad and Tobago and Thailand though they wisely cancelled the last one

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I kind of think that with FIFA it does though

The IOC are the same

England are of course well over due but with the euros bid I'm not sure we're even trying anymore, UEFA knows all about Wembley being a corporate cash cow so that's good enough for them, FIFA are more likely to give a world cup to 7 balkans countries in a joint bid and claim that theyve finally fixed the region 

World Cup has a different minimum capacity stadium than the Euros. Only 11 stadiums fit the World Cup criteria in England and 5 are in London 

It would be mainly a London tournament if was awarded now

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Though the FA were bribing nations as well they just werent good at it. Nothing suspicious about away friendlies vs Trinidad and Tobago and Thailand though they wisely cancelled the last one

Oh I know they did it... they just obviously were too cheap. 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

A World Cup in South East Asia would be awesome!

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Serious question, why? 

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, The Philippines?

Even if it was just a joint bid between two of them (Thailand and Malaysia)

A collection of beautiful countries with amazing cultures - Football mad countries, great weather, fantastic foods…

If there was a joint SE Asia bid and it went through, I’d grab my plane ticket straight away…

They are surely more deserving of a World Cup than f**king Qatar

Edited by DJ_Villain
Autocorrect error

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, The Philippines?

Even if it was just a joint bid between two of them (Thailand and Malaysia)

A collection of beautiful countries with amazing cultures - Football mad countries, great weather, fantastic foods…

If there was a joint SE Asia bid and it went through, I’d grab my plane ticket straight away…

They are surely more deserving of a World Cup than f**king Qatar

Is there any infrastructure in place to host a 48 nation WC? Even is they all host it. 

And the level of quality for those teams is just hilarious. Having even one of them let alone 5-6 playing would be problematic.

And the weather is possibly too nice, as in humidity. 

33 minutes ago, sne said:

Is there any infrastructure in place to host a 48 nation WC? Even is they all host it. 

And the level of quality for those teams is just hilarious. Having even one of them let alone 5-6 playing would be problematic.

And the weather is possibly too nice, as in humidity. 

Thailand and Malaysia could host it between them… Both countries dwarf Qatar by size and there are plenty of stadiums already built there, so it wouldn’t be a case of having to build it from scratch… like Qatar…

Given the same time frame that Qatar have had to get all the necessary adjustments in place; I’d put money on the idea that Thailand and Malaysia could easily host a 48 nation World Cup

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Thailand and Malaysia could host it between them… Both countries dwarf Qatar by size and there are plenty of stadiums already built there, so it wouldn’t be a case of having to build it from scratch… like Qatar…

Given the same time frame that Qatar have had to get all the necessary adjustments in place; I’d put money on the idea that Thailand and Malaysia could easily host a 48 nation World Cup

Fair enough, I don't think they could or should.

Should add the "problem" with a south east Asia multi country world cup is if its in say 3 or 4 countries none of those countries would qualify by normal means so what do they do gift 4 countries a free place at their WC and then have another 3/4 Asian teams also qualify? 

It'll skew it and not in a good way either, Qatar being poor or South Africa from memory were poor so we're Russia etc etc but 4 of them all being poor? That's too much 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Fair enough, I don't think they could or should.

Serious question, why do you not think they should?

I thought the idea of the World Cup was that it should be for everyone. South Africa’s had it, Qatar are going to have it, Russia have had it, Korea and Japan have had it.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Throw Singapore in the mix too as they have a big stadium 

Pretty sure one of them around there has a monster stadium, like top 10 biggest football stadium in the world big, might be Jakarta

Why not? Some games in the Euros were played in Azerbaijan and they didn’t qualify…

Rank FIFA Rank  Team Current Point 
98  (↓-3)
VIE Vietnam
1,222.9 (-21.2)
117  (↑5)
THA Thailand
127  (↓-2)
PHI Philippines
MYA Myanmar
155  (↓-1)
MAS Malaysia
1,034.9 (-5.9)
SIN Singapore
165  (↑10)
IDN Indonesia
985.6 (+28.6)
170  (↑8)
CAM Cambodia
970.4 (+20.2)
185  (↑1)
LAO Laos
189  (↑1)
BRU Brunei Darussalam
TLS Timor-Leste

Qatar is 51 and obviously everyone agrees they should not have gotten it. For football reasons and every other reason. 

South east Asia have issues with military dictatorship, civil unrest, LGTBI issues, human rights and so on and so on.

Nice weather and beaches thou and that's what the tourist will see.

Â