The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

14 hours ago, Mantis said:

I definitely didn't celebrate Diaby's.

That was the weirdest thing in the ground yesterday.

I was at the other end fir the Diaby goal and asked the bloke next to me if it was a goal. He said he didn't know.

A minute after the ball hits the back of the net, the scoreboard hasn't changed, the goalscorer hasn't been announced, the players and ref are all stood around looking clueless.

It effectively takes away the main point of football. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

That was the weirdest thing in the ground yesterday.

I was at the other end fir the Diaby goal and asked the bloke next to me if it was a goal. He said he didn't know.

A minute after the ball hits the back of the net, the scoreboard hasn't changed, the goalscorer hasn't been announced, the players and ref are all stood around looking clueless.

It effectively takes away the main point of football. 

Yeah was a moody one that. See how Watkin's just walks away after the assist.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah was a moody one that. See how Watkin's just walks away after the assist.

Yeah, I thought it was offside, Watkins 100% thought it was offside. Nobody wound us got particularly excited and we all talked about how VAR had absolutely killed the excitement of scoring.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah, I thought it was offside, Watkins 100% thought it was offside. Nobody wound us got particularly excited and we all talked about how VAR had absolutely killed the excitement of scoring.

Yeah, the camera was at a slight angle again, which make the lines look on, but sometimes I'm sure they do it on purpose for it to be more clear, ohh well.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If our penalty had been at the other end and given against us this thread would have an extra ten pages.

I'd say it was the "correct" implementation, though. Attwell was staring right at it and made his own mind up. May be soft and debatable, but not enough overturn and without VAR it's still a pen anyways. If Attwell didn't give it and some bloke sat in a chair watching frame by frame said nah mate you gotta give that, it's a different story.

It's such a mess. We got the penalty yesterday. Arsenal didn't get one against us for exactly the same thing. Liverpool got one for exactly the same thing on the same day that Arsenal didn't get theirs. 

I **** hate it. I don't celebrate goals anymore. Diaby's goal being given was more surprise than anything. I hate that they don't show anyone in the stadium, that is paying hundreds every year, what is going on. I have to rely on mates on Whatsapp who are watching an illegal stream to tell me which foul or decision they are checking. I went down for a piss when Burnley's offside goal was getting checked and the TVs in the concourse area had replays with all the lines on, whilst the people watching in the stands still hadn't reacted because they don't have a clue what is going on.

I was always against VAR because it would take away the 'moment' of scoring a goal, but this is far, far worse than I ever imagined it would be. I'm pretty sure I've made identical posts to this before in here but it frustrates me so much.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, a-k said:

I'd say it was the "correct" implementation, though. Attwell was staring right at it and made his own mind up. May be soft and debatable, but not enough overturn and without VAR it's still a pen anyways. If Attwell didn't give it and some bloke sat in a chair watching frame by frame said nah mate you gotta give that, it's a different story.

It’s one of the softest penalties you’ll see. Minimal contact and a clear dive from Duran. 

This is why confirmation bias is a thing. Villa fans will forget about that poor VAR decision in our favour but will be up in arms about the next one that goes against us

As Jono says above, it was way way softer than the Arsenal one, but villa fans were adamant it was right NOT to give that one

Edited by Stevo985

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s one of the softest penalties you’ll see. Minimal contact and a clear dive from Duran. 

What has happened in other matches is irrelevant. He nicked the ball and got kicked on the sole of the foot. It's technically a foul. On field ref saw it in clear view and gave it. It's "soft" but a subjective call that happened right in front of the ref. It's not an egregious error by the ref. VAR should not be overturning those nor should they be intervening if the ref hasn't given it.

4 minutes ago, a-k said:

What has happened in other matches is irrelevant. He nicked the ball and got kicked on the sole of the foot. It's technically a foul. On field ref saw it in clear view and gave it. It's "soft" but a subjective call that happened right in front of the ref. It's not an egregious error by the ref. VAR should not be overturning those nor should they be intervening if the ref hasn't given it.

As I said, if that was at the other end and given against us everyone would be **** furious

It was no way softer than the arsenal one not given! That arsenal one that was a kick on the back of his calf but magically made his standing foot jump in the air and his body to twist? 

The rolling round is a joke but it's a penalty 

Like I said the Ollie one not given was worse 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, a-k said:

I think you'll find, the ref who was facing the foul from Ben Mee, gave him a yellow, VAR overturned that one for red, bet you was happy with that.

22 hours ago, villan95 said:

Don't think I've celebrated any of the 5 goals we've scored since the Sheff Utd one was disallowed 

Ollie didnt celebrate the 2nd goal because he thought he was offside and even the Bailey goal was a muted celebration

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As I said, if that was at the other end and given against us everyone would be **** furious

You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you're missing the point. If VAR didn't exist it's still a penalty. I haven't said anything that is objectively not true. He was kicked on the sole of the foot, which is a foul, is it not? The player who committed the foul didn't even protest the decision.

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think you'll find, the ref who was facing the foul from Ben Mee, gave him a yellow, VAR overturned that one for red, bet you was happy with that.

That's twisting my words...they are completely different situations. The ref obviously made a mistake (is there anyone who is really saying that's not a red), which also may just be an inclination towards giving a yellow and letting VAR signal for a red. I, and many others, don't think that Attwell obviously made a mistake in not giving a pen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a-k said:

You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you're missing the point. If VAR didn't exist it's still a penalty. I haven't said anything that is objectively not true. He was kicked on the sole of the foot, which is a foul, is it not?

No. It isn’t. 

VAR exists to correct wrong decisions. It failed in this instance. 

Im thrilled that it did. Absolutely thrilled. I just find it funny how outraged everyone would be if that happened to us

Â