Football Kits 2017/8

villa4europe

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No you are mixing a few memories there.

That was at Brammel Lane and we were in the blue kit as I was there.

If memory servers me correct it was a later round, possibly the semi v Liverpool at Old Trafford.

Pretty sure it was away to Liverpool in the FA Cup QF. Lost 1-0 to a Mark Walters goal maybe?

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I wish I'd had the chance to design a Villa kit :(

I know it’s your living so the chance maybe is still there!?

Even if that ship has sailed can you answer if the club/manufactures ever take on board what the masses want?

There have been loads of people designing kits on here that have been miles better than the ones we get.

I would not think it’s too difficult but then know bugger all about it!

Some sort of competition where a few are made public and voted on by season ticket holders/club members only so nothing is hijacked.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 14:57, villan-scott said:

Villa must have dropped into this thread as they’re having a vote on Facebook for favourite home and away kits!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the avfc social media team browsed all of the main forums to see what people are banging on about. Big Brother is watching!! 

:detect: :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

They seem to change it every year now and it always seems bobbins. I haven't had an England shirt since Japan/Korea in 2002. Probably the last time I was interested in the team.

pa-527034.jpg

Goodness me. That was a cracking team on paper. Huge opportunity lost that tournament was. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2017 at 08:29, S-Platt said:

I know it’s your living so the chance maybe is still there!?

Even if that ship has sailed can you answer if the club/manufactures ever take on board what the masses want?

There have been loads of people designing kits on here that have been miles better than the ones we get.

I would not think it’s too difficult but then know bugger all about it!

Some sort of competition where a few are made public and voted on by season ticket holders/club members only so nothing is hijacked.

I think that ship has definitely sailed.  I run my own business now, and kits aren't usually freelanced out as they're so confidential.

The clubs will always consider what the fans want.  It's a fine line to tread, though, between tradition and newness.  Hard to please everyone.

Kit design looks easy, but a lot of the concepts you see on VT or Twitter etc just aren't practical.  They're usual either impossible to make, too expensive to make, or wouldn't get through FIFA, UEFA, FA guidelines.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 30/11/2017 at 08:20, NurembergVillan said:

I think that ship has definitely sailed.  I run my own business now, and kits aren't usually freelanced out as they're so confidential.

The clubs will always consider what the fans want.  It's a fine line to tread, though, between tradition and newness.  Hard to please everyone.

Kit design looks easy, but a lot of the concepts you see on VT or Twitter etc just aren't practical.  They're usual either impossible to make, too expensive to make, or wouldn't get through FIFA, UEFA, FA guidelines.

I'm fascinated by this stuff.

When you say something is impossible to make, can you give me an example?

47 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

When you say something is impossible to make, can you give me an example?

Sure.  To a certain extent it relies on an understanding of how clothes are made, and at least how they go from being a flat piece of fabric to several pieces that have to be joined together.

Take this (rather ugly) concept I found.  The graphic on the front spread across to the sleeves and matches perfectly.  The graphic marries up all the way around the armhole - which relies on opposing curves to create a 3D shape that matches the shape of your body.  Same with the side seams - unless the edges were completely straight it'd be hard to get them to match.

414064115bc080116347c6a5a047ac87.jpg

It might be possible if you were making a one-off piece as you would be using one print to fit one size and to take as long as necessary to make.  In production you'd need a different sized print for every size of shirt, and the factory wouldn't want to be spending 20 minutes to sew in each sleeve.

Now look at the "lay plan" for a typical garment (this looks like a t-shirt but seems to have an opening up the front - odd!).  You can see that the pieces fit onto a piece of fabric in different places depending on the size.  The graphic is printed repeatedly along the length of the whole roll before the pieces are cut out.  So imagine the complexity of trying to figure that out, lay the pieces and cut around them without mistakes, and then join it together so everything matches.

single_size_marker.jpg

And that's why stuff like the above is art and not design.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1