General Election 2017

ender4

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Tactical genius with the Tuition fees.

Yep and how he kept it quiet -until exactly the right moment in the campaign. 

You can see why he appeals to students - they love an old rascal - seem to remember Frankie Howard enjoying resurgence in the twighlight of his career due to his popularity amongst them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

What does the future hold for JC ?

I hold my hand up - he's fought a great campaign, won 30 more seats , and increased labour share of the vote.

That said - he's on 260 seats - quite some distance from ever forming a majority labour government. His main angle now will be to ensure his successor comes from the left of the party - which might not be that straightforward. But that is the legacy he would want. I don't think he would want to fight another election when he is in in his 70's.

The best thing he could do for the party (and the country) is stand down, but back a strong candidate for his replacement. Keeping his supporters but potentially appealing to the wider base needed to actually win an election.

No chance that will happen, though. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

What does the future hold for JC ?

I hold my hand up - he's fought a great campaign, won 30 more seats , and increased labour share of the vote.

That said - he's on 260 seats - quite some distance from ever forming a majority labour government. His main angle now will be to ensure his successor comes from the left of the party - which might not be that straightforward. But that is the legacy he would want. I don't think he would want to fight another election when he is in in his 70's.

I think this is right. I must admit I was pessimistic at the start of this thread (have a look), but I'm pleased to have been proven wrong. 

One thing I did say after the last election though was that there would be banana skins waiting for the overconfident Tories, and that was right. 

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

The best thing he could do for the party (and the country) is stand down, but back a strong candidate for his replacement. Keeping his supporters but potentially appealing to the wider base needed to actually win an election.

No chance that will happen, though. 

The question is what is a stronger candidate ?  - My opinion is that a centrist leader from Dan Jarvis or Keir starmer would serve labour best. But the grassroots of labour will quite rightly dispute that.

30 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I guess applause also for YouGov. I think the only ones to predict the hung parliament as the end result when everyone else was still going for a pretty big Tory majority.

:) (but I didn't expect the SNP vote to fall as much)

On 6/7/2017 at 15:51, darrenm said:

I say 320 seats Tory and a Labour / SNP coalition for dessert. 

• Like 2

I actually think the right wing press rebounded this time. They built TM up into something she wasn't. She's bang average, they billed her as the next Maggie, which she never was. I am not a Tory but the likes of the mail and telegraph telling us she is fantastic when she wasn't backfired. They might might to reconsider next time.  

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

The question is what is a stronger candidate ?  - My opinion is that a centrist leader from Dan Jarvis or Keir starmer would serve labour best. But the grassroots of labour will quite rightly dispute that.

I'm not sure, I think Jarvis would do well across the country, but maybe not for Corbyn. For a further left candidate it might be someone like Clive Lewis?

Just now, hippo said:

I actually think the right wing press rebounded this time. 

Agreed but I think something else was at play as well,  do people like being told what to do these days by papers that not many people actually buy or care about.

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

I'm not sure, I think Jarvis would do well across the country, but maybe not for Corbyn. For a further left candidate it might be someone like Clive Lewis?

If they want another Corbyn John McDonnell maybe the closest they have. 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I actually think the right wing press rebounded this time. They built TM up into something she wasn't. She's bang average, they billed her as the next Maggie, which she never was. I am not a Tory but the likes of the mail and telegraph telling us she is fantastic when she wasn't backfired. They might might to reconsider next time.  

Agreed. And they went too far with the personal attacks on Corbyn. I think beyond a certain point, the public smells unfairness and reacts against it. 

On another note, I think the significance of the fox hunting thing has been underestimated. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Agreed. And they went too far with the personal attacks on Corbyn. I think beyond a certain point, the public smells unfairness and reacts against it. 

On another note, I think the significance of the fox hunting thing has been underestimated. 

Yep - you've got to be really confident going to electorate with that in the manifesto !

Â