Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Turn it another why, why are Ukraine not claiming any explosions in Russia? 

They happily take credit for thousands of deaths and destruction of Russian military in Ukraine. Bits and bobs over the border and they aren’t saying anything. 

Ukraine claim attacks on their own territory because it is important for morale for their people to know they are winning.

They don't need to do this for attacks outside Ukraine because if they do, it assists the propaganda machine of Russia both on the Russian home front AND amongst those Pro-Trump/Putin republicans in the US

Also not claiming them makes Russia invent more and more stupid reasons as to why explosions occurred, the famous stray cigarette excuse etc because Russia doesn't want its people to know Ukraine is attacking targets inside Russia

There may be other reasons too but Russia having nuclear weapons isn't one of them

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ukraine claim attacks on their own territory because it is important for morale for their people to know they are winning.

They don't need to do this for attacks outside Ukraine because if they do, it assists the propaganda machine of Russia both on the Russian home front AND amongst those Pro-Trump/Putin republicans in the US

Also not claiming them makes Russia invent more and more stupid reasons as to why explosions occurred, the famous stray cigarette excuse etc because Russia doesn't want its people to know Ukraine is attacking targets inside Russia

There may be other reasons too but Russia having nuclear weapons isn't one of them

Russia has made it clear they would defend its land with all the resources it has. That’s a quote from Putin. 

That is saying, attack “Russia” and you risk a nuclear escalation.

I agree there’s several reasons why Ukraine isn’t claiming the attacks on Belograd in particular, but to dismiss nuclear completely can’t be done. It’s a major factor in all of this.

The other interesting dynamic to this is that Russia is not pointing the finger either. It suits them in some ways that Ukraine doesn’t claim them, because if they do then Russia will either have to follow through on that threat or look weak.

Follow through on the threat and all hell breaks loose.

Nukes are a deterrent.  They are not a weapon for a conflict like this. Especially  when it’s so close to your own population.  
Without nukes - Russia could lose the land it took in 2014.
With nukes - Russia definitely would lose the land it took in 2014 and much more.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a major factor in all of this.

It absolutely isn't beyond being a failed scare tactic

Russia knows Ukraine is attacking inside its territory

Putin was even walking back the nuclear threat only last week

Only yesterday 4 Helicopters were attacked on the ground at the Veretye air base in the Pskov region of Russia. It's 500km away from Ukraine and 100km away from Latvia. It is strongly rumoured that Ukrainian Special Forces carried out the raid. Russia has even admitted it happened and made a big show of looking for the saboteurs. It is almost inconceivable that anyone else carried out the attack. Russia isn't going to blow up four helicopters on a base that far from Ukraine as some kind of false flag because they really do need those helicopters. Who else did this? There really only is Ukraine. Russia know that

Huawei to cease operations in Russia.  
Apparently they have not been importing stock for 3 months.  They have only been selling stock already in the country.  Presumably that was to stop Russia simply confiscating the stock.  
I guess they will now import into Russia on an individual basis but with large price increase. 
I am sure the Lada-phone 1.0 will be a great comedy moment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Huawei to cease operations in Russia.  
Apparently they have not been importing stock for 3 months.  They have only been selling stock already in the country.  Presumably that was to stop Russia simply confiscating the stock.  
I guess they will now import into Russia on an individual basis but with large price increase. 
I am sure the Lada-phone 1.0 will be a great comedy moment.  

That’s an interesting one as there have been concerns in the past with their close relationship with the Chinese government.

I have struck up a relationship with someone on Twitter who claims to be a Chinese Businessman but is actually some form of Chinese Government bot.  He commented the following when asked about Huawei>>

""Huawei is going to close all their stores in Russia. Huawei is under US sanctions and can't produce their own high end chips right now, so Huawei has to buy from Qualcomm…and that contains US technology, so Huawei can't sell their smartphones in Russia." 

41 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have struck up a relationship with someone who claims to be a Chinese Businessman but is actually some form of Chinese Government bot.

Say what? How close is this relationship? Are you meeting up for drinks with this bot?

How do you know it’s a bot and not a real Chinese businessman?

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Say what? How close is this relationship? Are you meeting up for drinks with this bot?

How do you know it’s a bot and not a real Chinese businessman?

We have an open relationship.  We tweet other people. 🤣

It’s pretty obvious that it’s a manipulative account, 

It seems even Macron has realised that he can't talk Putin out of this. Germany and France are now set to up their game. German Gepards in particular seem incredibly effective against Iranian drones. Surely other nations should be able to deliver similar vehicles, with our Boxer vehicles and the Swedish LvKv 90/701 being formidable at the same task as the Gepard.

Iran is set to deliver ballistic missiles to Russia so I can't fathom why Israel aren't doing more here. They could essentially try out their very capable air defense platforms against Iranian missiles and drones.

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I can't fathom why Israel aren't doing more here. They could essentially try out their very capable air defense platforms against Iranian missiles and drones.

If captured, Russia would pass on the tech spec to Iran

Not saying it's correct but that is the logic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It’s not just Israel using this logic. I think a number of NATO countries don’t want to give away their best stuff and have Russia/Iran etc crack it and build their responses to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I get that, but you could for example deploy it around Odessa and other Western cities, which would allow Ukraine to reallocate the Iris, NASAMs and S-300's further East. There's literally no chance in hell that Odessa or Lviv will fall, or that Russia would ever manage to push that far.

36 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I get that, but you could for example deploy it around Odessa and other Western cities, which would allow Ukraine to reallocate the Iris, NASAMs and S-300's further East. There's literally no chance in hell that Odessa or Lviv will fall, or that Russia would ever manage to push that far.

Being frank, I suspect they also don't trust the Ukranians with it. Ukraine was ranked very high on the list of countries where corruption was rife before the war. Even in Western Ukraine there would be a risk of it being compromised and they just don't want to take that risk. 

• Like 1

The Ukrainian estimated death count of Russians was a massive 800 again yesterday

There must be an awful lot of fighting going on where info isn't being released into the public domain yet

If its 800 dead, usually a 3 to 1 ratio for wounded but in this war its more likely to be 2 to 1 for the Russians due to them leaving people for dead and lack of first aid etc. but still that's thousands taken out of the war every day this week so far.

There really must be heavy fighting going on we aren't currently aware of in Kherson / Svatove / Bakhmut. 

Those losses are huge

This is slightly off topic but it seems the best place to get an answer. 

Argentina occupied the Falklands.  Has anyone else invaded land belonging to a NATO member?  

Unless I have forgotten something major, it would probably be something obscure like remnants of the French or Belgium empire in Africa? 

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This is slightly off topic but it seems the best place to get an answer. 

Argentina occupied the Falklands.  Has anyone else invaded land belonging to a NATO member?  

Unless I have forgotten something major, it would probably be something obscure like remnants of the French or Belgium empire in Africa? 

Good point. I know America lent us some equipment but why weren't there NATO boots all around the Falklands on the ground? 

Is there some technicality or we didn't ask? 

Â