Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I read that the flight originated in Iran?

Yeah I heard that too. I couldn’t tell you if it is true or just propaganda. There is an alternative narrative being pushed that it was actually a weapons shipment from Iran. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah I heard that too. I couldn’t tell you if it is true or just propaganda. There is an alternative narrative being pushed that it was actually a weapons shipment from Iran. 

Ukraine said it contained weapons didn’t they?

Are these airplanes not on flight radar?  Can they turn off their transponders?

You can bet your bottom dollar that the military know where it originated, they'll have tracked everything over the airspace.

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ukraine said it contained weapons didn’t they?

I don’t think the Ukrainian government have said anything except that they are investigating what happened have they?

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think the Ukrainian government have said anything except that they are investigating what happened have they?

I’m sure the story the BBC ran yesterday about the event said that Russia are saying it contained Ukrainian POW, but Ukraine believe it contained weapons. 

edit: this is the link. I think the BBC have changed the wording since they first posted it but they still reference that on the Ukrainian side they shot it down assuming it contained missiles

Ukraine's general staff, quoted by the Ukrainska Pravda website, said initially that the plane was transporting missiles for Russia's S-300 air defence systems. It made no mention of prisoners of war.

Edited by Genie

The crash did make a very big boom compared to other crashes, and I just don't see 65 POW's only having 6 guards (what Russia claims), also images of the crash site show very little clutter and debris that you'd think would be there if 70 people got thrown around.

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

The crash did make a very big boom compared to other crashes, and I just don't see 65 POW's only having 6 guards (what Russia claims), also images of the crash site show very little clutter and debris that you'd think would be there if 70 people got thrown around.

If the whole story is made up then they could obviously claim whatever number they like for the guards in their statement so I don’t think that really tells us anything either way. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Iirc they did make some announcement about Russia not telling them about an air corridor because the plane was carrying POWs for exchange, which they have done every other time that has happened

Seems Orban has played his hand too early. 

Hungary without EU money and trade is a third world country. Salami and paprika-powder can only get you so far Viktor.

Edited by magnkarl

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Seems Orban has played his hand too early. 

Hungary without EU money and trade is a third world country. Salami and paprika-powder can only get you so far Viktor.

Hungary without the EU is a second world country!

In other good news, the EU finally approved the 50bn of financial support for Ukraine (over the next 4 years).

Unfortunately the most important aid package by far is still the one in from the US, which is currently going nowhere thanks to Trump and the Republican speaker. But it’s some good news at least.

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Amazing footage (if true) 

That's pretty good accuracy, even being able to see the internal damage from the port side of the ship before the second explosion. 

Russia has now arrested 12 top scientists who developed their "unstoppable" hypersonic missiles. 

They are charged with treason by selling details of the missiles.  

But it's more likely that the weapon doesn't work and/or has seen large amount of its budget used to buy houses in Chelsea. 

• Like 1

The Russians don't seem to understand (or more likely have pointedly mismarketed) their 'hypersonic' missile, so it may not be the scientists fault.

They've been making out the thing is a cutting edge weapon, a hypersonic glide vehicle, when in reality it's a marginally modernised version of a weapon the Americans were messing around with in the 80s. It couldn't do the things that make a true hypersonic missile an interesting weapon, and was never going to. It's still potentially quite good, but it's just a 'good' air launched ballistic missile minus the atmospheric trajectory, not the extremely manoeuvrable erratic glide vehicle that the Americans and Chinese are trying to develop that is actually what a hypersonic missile represents.

• Like 1

So Vlad has now proclaimed that all occupied Ukrainian territory needs to be integrated into Russia and fully developed by 2030 indicating they have no intention of ending things anytime soon. Good luck with that Russia. Ukraine will never let them completely settle in these areas. 

He's a complete clown if he thinks Ukrainians are just going to give in anytime soon and stop attacking Russians on their own territory. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

So Vlad has now proclaimed that all occupied Ukrainian territory needs to be integrated into Russia and fully developed by 2030 indicating they have no intention of ending things anytime soon. Good luck with that Russia. Ukraine will never let them completely settle in these areas. 

He's a complete clown if he thinks Ukrainians are just going to give in anytime soon and stop attacking Russians on their own territory. 

Who in their right mind would live or work there?

• Like 1

Â