Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Just now, Genie said:

Putin came out of it looking extremely weak so I doubt he was in on it. 

Putin came out looking really weak to the West

At home he looks like a superman who quelled a mutiny

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Putin came out looking really weak to the West

At home he looks like a superman who quelled a mutiny

Really?

The people of Russia celebrated with Wagner troops. The Russian army did nothing. Wagner shot down several of the Russian air forces finest aircraft. Putin immediately ran away in his jet and didn’t resurface for 2 or 3 days. Lukashenko looks like he saved the day by brokering a deal.

I haven’t seen Russian state TV but it would take something epic to spin that lot into Putin being the hero.

edit: Also, Prigozhin seems to be swanning around as he pleases, with truck loads of tax payer money.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Really?

The people of Russia celebrated with Wagner troops. The Russian army did nothing. Wagner shot down several of the Russian air forces finest aircraft. Putin immediately ran away in his jet and didn’t resurface for 2 or 3 days. Lukashenko looks like he saved the day by brokering a deal.

I haven’t seen Russian state TV but it would take something epic to spin that lot into Putin being the hero.

Russians don't get the same view of things in the media.

What you see on their TV and reality as you know are far detached

But equally, when people react to things happening live, you also don't know if they are being truthful because its ingrained in Russian mentality to parrot the official line unless you want carting away

I was talking more about how its being spun in their media than what the public actually think because in Russia that is almost impossible to gauge 

People celebrating with Wagner could easily be celebrating because you always want to be on the right side of who is in charge. Strange strange country to the likes of us.

21 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Erdoğan appears to be hardening his stance against Russia now that he's secured another term.  

Ukraine and Turkey have announced that the grain export deal will take place this year with or without Russia's participation.  Turkish forces will defend merchant ships against attack.  

It means NATO forces will be officially assisting Ukraine  from within the conflict area.  

Erdoğan also allowed several Ukrainian POW to return home despite an agreement with Russia that he wouldn't.  

Putin's looking weaker than ever. 

Part 2

Erdoğan has agreed to Sweden joining NATO, started building a drone factory in Ukraine, committed to protecting Ukraine's grain exports for 2 years and agreed to send more artillery and shells to Ukraine 

Despite this, Russia still wants to build a gas shipping hub in Turkey. 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Russians don't get the same view of things in the media.

What you see on their TV and reality as you know are far detached

While this is true and no doubt the indoctrination starts from birth the world is too big to not see some truth.

They are not closed off like North Korea they will see enough of the outside to create doubt in some, so that when things like this happen that creeping doubt comes to fruition. Although the fear to express this is still there, I’d have my doubts whether I’d have the balls to go against that establishment or just live my merry little life.

Patriotism for me is the real indoctrination, you see it here aswell. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicho said:

While this is true and no doubt the indoctrination starts from birth the world is too big to not see some truth.

They are not closed off like North Korea they will see enough of the outside to create doubt in some, so that when things like this happen that creeping doubt comes to fruition. Although the fear to express this is still there, I’d have my doubts whether I’d have the balls to go against that establishment or just live my merry little life.

Patriotism for me is the real indoctrination, you see it here aswell. 

Yes, well put

With this war, Putins games and the Prigozhin stuff I can’t stop thinking of the crazy Russians from the Peaky Blinders series was it the last or second to last series. 

Think it’s very difficult for anyone from outside to understand. 

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Russia used a rumoured 40k soldiers to capture it

Man, they must really be scrabbling for troops if they're now down to using 32mm miniatures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just on the assassinations in Russian occupied territory. This was published the other day by the Times, Maxim Tucker. He talks about partisans and a Ukrainian lad that infiltrated the Russian forces and called in a Himars strike on a Russian base endangering himself. Intriguing, dangerous and seriously ballsy. This is what the Russians will have to deal with for years. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He’s an eternal pessimist but this is Girkin’s view on what happened with Prigozhin.

I don’t think anyone has worked it out yet

It's as valid as most opinions. Girkin, is obviously a horrible scumbag but some of his opinions and rants have been very indicative or prescient,

He's no fan of Prigozhin (they had a huge spat at the start of the year) but they have both been absolutely slating the military leadership, he currently has more in common with Prigozhin than he does with the military leadership 

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Imagine looking at Prigozhin and thinking, yes this is the man I want to lead my country. 

Are we ones to judge that? 

• Like 2

Â