Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh and as I was talking about HIMARS and its range, here's a map indicating the range it now covers. No artillery in that area will be safe and in theory if the Russians decide to keep it outside HIMARS range, Kherson shouldn't get the artillery bombarments we've seen elsewhere. It also frees up some HIMARS units to now assist at the other end of the Dnipro

ydymslx4jez91.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Consider the supply lines as marked in this map.  One highway and one rail line. Both of which are within range. 

Not good for Russia. 

6B43799A-84BE-4577-AE21-FCC03AAEC0B3.jpeg

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Seem to be quite a few incidents happening around Scandinavia that might or might not be Russian operations. Obviously the big one being the Nord Stream explosions.

• About 10 Russians have been arrested in Norway for flying drones over military objects in the last couple of weeks.
  • Increased activity around oil and gas facilities in the waters outside Norway
  • A GRU officer posting as a Brazilian scientist was arrested i Norway for spying
  • 2 Swedish/Iranian brothers were arrested in Sweden this week for spying for Russia. One of them had a high ranking job at SÄPO which is the Swedish intelligence agency and he's been under surveillance for more than 2 years apparently.
  • A Russian flag was hoisted at the town hall by someone in a small town in Norway this morning.
  • In Helsinki 3 big water pipes sprung leaks this morning in different locations in the city for yet unknown reasons causing massive flooding.
  • There's been tons of incidents of people flying drones over Nuclear plants and military objects in Sweden during the last year.

Sure there are tons more but there seem to be a whole lot happening in the last couple weeks and months.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is all over the internet, with much scepticism I might add. If it is true that is absolutely audacious  whilst making no sense whatsoever tactically

I’m not completely clued up on this - Howcome that’s such a crazy thing? 

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I’m not completely clued up on this - Howcome that’s such a crazy thing? 

Its on the other side of the Dnipro estuary, so it is in effect behind enemy lines as it is connected by land to the Left (East) bank that the Russians have just retreated to and not the Kherson right bank. The Russians will be forced to respond but this isn't just HIMARS territory its standard 155mm artillery range too. So if Ukraine have done this it is audacious but because of the artillery range of the 155's on the Kherson side of the river, it is also protected in a way that will be hard for the RUssians to approach but they surely must respond

I remain sceptical tbh but if it is true its both brave and devious

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Its on the other side of the Dnipro estuary, so it is in effect behind enemy lines as it is connected by land to the Left (East) bank that the Russians have just retreated to and not the Kherson right bank. The Russians will be forced to respond but this isn't just HIMARS territory its standard 155mm artillery range too. So if Ukraine have done this it is audacious but because of the artillery range of the 155's on the Kherson side of the river, it is also protected in a way that will be hard for the RUssians to approach but they surely must respond

I wonder if they'll do what they did with Snake Island and just put up a Ukrainian flag and then leave, basically daring the Russians to try and take it back with all that Ukranian artillery nearby?

As you say, it makes absolutely no sense to try and leave soldiers there to defend it.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

This is all over the internet, with much scepticism I might add. If it is true that is absolutely audacious  whilst making no sense whatsoever tactically

This seems a logical tactic.  Take any opportunity to go across the river and occupy land.  If Russia responds you withdraw across the river whilst artillery covers you retreat.  

This gives Russia a no win situation.  They can't ignore it.  But if they respond they will take losses.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

I remain sceptical tbh but if it is true its both brave and devious

Ah ok. That makes sense then. So in effect, If you look at a map of Ukraine and draw a line down it, moving from left to right as territory is being retaken, it makes sense to take the area mentioned to continue the push back towards Russia… ? 

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Heavenly heard too much about the Luhansk region lately? Are there any updates at all? How is that playing out tactically

Turning into a bit of grinding stalemate right now

But that might be because it suits Ukraine though. It appears the HIMARS etc have all been focused on Kherson, I saw a photo earlier of 9 of them together. If they push too far in Luhansk in the north of that front, they'll reach the border and that means they'd have to defend the border, which will tie troops up without much opposition to fight. Ukraine still appear to be advancing in pockets but taking their time over it

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Ah ok. That makes sense then. So in effect, If you look at a map of Ukraine and draw a line down it, moving from left to right as territory is being retaken, it makes sense to take the area mentioned to continue the push back towards Russia… ? 

Well what it does is bring the fight much closer to Crimea, further threatens the few supply lines remaining and sort of creates a trap that the Russians have to respond to

Â