Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I can't read that article, as my Swedish is non-existent, but this all smells a little bit like bulls**t. That just looks like a standard Canon DSLR. Wouldn't that be crummy in terms of use by a drone? It's set up for stills mainly, right? My Canon DSLR is hopeless at video. Also, 23,000 euro?, what including the salary of the bloke who changes the flash bulb? 

Maybe I'm missing something here, perhaps someone can elucidate?

I can help you out a bit.

The Swedish word for ‘speed’ is ‘fart’. So when they are talking about ‘fart kameras’ it’s not what first comes to mind. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, LondonLax said:

I can help you out a bit.

The Swedish word for ‘speed’ is ‘fart’. So when they are talking about ‘fart kameras’ it’s not what first comes to mind. 

Can you see my internet history? It was for research purposes only, I swear!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I can't read that article, as my Swedish is non-existent, but this all smells a little bit like bulls**t. That just looks like a standard Canon DSLR. Wouldn't that be crummy in terms of use by a drone? It's set up for stills mainly, right? My Canon DSLR is hopeless at video. Also, 23,000 euro?, what including the salary of the bloke who changes the flash bulb? 

Maybe I'm missing something here, perhaps someone can elucidate?

Read the article. It's all very unlikely. The intelligence service SÄPO kind of give an answer like 'are you stupid or something?' to the reporter.

And as I understand it our speed cameras take photos and are not filming.

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Read the article. It's all very unlikely. The intelligence service SÄPO kind of give an answer like 'are you stupid or something?' to the reporter.

And as I understand it our speed cameras take photos and are not filming.

They do only take photos. Speed Assessment cameras don't work in the same way that normal cams operate as they have detectable parameters set up for activation. 

Edited by avfc1982am

On 20/10/2022 at 09:51, avfc1982am said:

Ukraine war: Our city Kherson was invaded - we stayed and filmed - BBC News

As Russia scrambles to pull its civilian staff out of the city of Kherson ahead of a Ukrainian counter-offensive, Ukrainian father Dmytro Bahnenko reflects on the months he and his family lived there under occupation and secretly filmed for BBC Eye at great personal risk.

"I saw a robot today," my five-year-old daughter Ksusha whispered to me as I filmed her underneath the table.

"It was flying… it wanted to kill me."

It wasn't clear what - if anything - Ksusha had seen that day to evoke the disturbing image. But evidently she was unsettled.

Nothing had been the same since Russian soldiers first marched past our window in the late afternoon of 1 March, and I began filming our lives for a BBC Eye documentary. My day job had been as a local reporter. Never did I think I would be filming an invasion of my home city - the only Ukrainian regional capital to have been captured.

How we shielded Ksusha from the brutality of Russia's invasion, and we ourselves remained sane, became central to our lives, as my wife Lidia and I grappled with our new reality.

In the first few days our city seemed frozen - I filmed the emptiness as schools stood closed, government buildings abandoned, and factories and offices empty. Most people laid low.

The Russian forces, having taken Kherson, were now trying to advance on nearby Mykolaiv, and were shelling ferociously. We dragged our mattresses into the corridor - away from the windows - and made up games to distract Ksusha. I became an expert in making shadow puppets, with spiders becoming my speciality. Lidia and I would whistle birdsong to try to drown out the noise as Ksusha fell asleep.

The irony is that for decades Ukraine helped feed the world, but in those first few days we were struggling to get hold of the most basic items.

"I managed to get the last potatoes," one man told me wearily as I was filming in the city centre one day in early March. It was not yet nine in the morning.

But the people of Kherson seemed anything but resigned to their fate. Protests against the occupation began early and grew in ferocity over the following few weeks. The Russian troops appeared shocked - in their minds they had arrived as "liberators"................

The article continues on the link above and the doc is also available on IPlayer(uk). Link to that at the bottom of the page.

A little snippet of this doc. Imagine trying to see your kids safely through this shit without cracking up. Unreal what world these people are living in and at those that put them there whilst sitting safely in their ivory towers. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

A little snippet of this doc. Imagine trying to see your kids safely through this shit without cracking up. Unreal what world these people are living in and at those that put them there whilst sitting safely in their ivory towers. 

This is the doc. Now on Youtube...

I did mention weeks ago I thought this has a serious possibility of happening. I still hope I'm wrong but there does seem like some substance to my thoughts now. 

Russia Ukraine war latest: Zelensky accuses Putin of ‘catastrophic’ plot to blow up Kherson dam | The Independent

Russia is planning to destroy a hydroelectric dam in Ukraine’s Kherson region, an act that would result in a “catastrophe on a grand scale”, President Volodymyr Zelensky has warned.

He claims Moscow has planted mines at the dam in the Russian-occupied region, which risks wiping out a 400km-long (250 miles) canal network.

Russia is preparing [to attack] at the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant. According to our information, the aggregates and dam of the Kakhovka HPP were mined by Russian terrorists.

“If the dam is destroyed… the North Crimean canal will simply disappear.”

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I did mention weeks ago I thought this has a serious possibility of happening. I still hope I'm wrong but there does seem like some substance to my thoughts now. 

Russia Ukraine war latest: Zelensky accuses Putin of ‘catastrophic’ plot to blow up Kherson dam | The Independent

Russia is planning to destroy a hydroelectric dam in Ukraine’s Kherson region, an act that would result in a “catastrophe on a grand scale”, President Volodymyr Zelensky has warned.

He claims Moscow has planted mines at the dam in the Russian-occupied region, which risks wiping out a 400km-long (250 miles) canal network.

Russia is preparing [to attack] at the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant. According to our information, the aggregates and dam of the Kakhovka HPP were mined by Russian terrorists.

“If the dam is destroyed… the North Crimean canal will simply disappear.”

Christ, wouldn't that wipe out half of Kherson? 

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Isn't it the main water supply to Crimea ? I doubt they will blow it but lets see.

It is, and yes it would be catastrophic to blow it. I doubt they will to but incompetence and spitefullness follows Russia like a bad smell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Second one in a week? Doesn’t appear that the pilot survived this one. 

Planes need servicing regularly

They've lost a fair few in action which will reduce any rotation in aircraft for regular servicing

They are being sanctioned which means parts that need replacing probably won't be

I imagine we might see more of this tbh

• Like 1

Â