The USA

Mantis

On 06/01/2024 at 15:58, Sid4ever said:

Will be in South Beach Miami in October, last time there in 1980 with Laker Airways, other than the aliens in the mall what else should I do?

Avoid the inevitable hurricane.

Miami Dolphins game I would recommend over a Miami Hurricane game. Miami Heat game is less traffic from South Beach and a good time.

Find any of the hundreds of captains for a 4 hour boat rental and go up to the Haulover Sandbar and the surrounding areas or go out on a fishing charter - should be a good season for Mahi typically at the time.

Tons of restaurants but maybe some ones that aren't right on Collins Ave - Boia De (across the bridge downtown), Pane & Vino (South Beach), Uchi (Wynwood), and if you really want to be a 'local' go up to Flanigan's on north beach.

• Thanks 1

My missus wants to book now to go the US in 2025. Kids will be 12, 10 and 8. Is Florida the best place to go in terms of everything you’d want for a family holiday. I wouldn’t mind going west coast some point in my life but not just yet. Also how easy is it to get in with a criminal record nowadays? Talking over 10 years since last in trouble really. 

Got to Heathrow, sorted meet and greet parking, checked in, checked bags, been through security.

So glad we paid to use the No1 Lounge as we’d probably have spent more on food and beer with all the plebs 😂

Still two hours of help yourself bush and alcohol to go 👍🏼

• Like 1

Christ there were way too many whiney carpet crawlers for an eleven hour flight, definitely makes me not want to bother again.

On 22/11/2016 at 07:18, tonyh29 said:

Not sure about "hidden" but  on our road trip ( which was mainly planes , cheaper and quicker than driving everywhere  )  we did

Washington -  loads to see and do here  , not to mention you can take a day trip to Gettysburg .. can't wait to go back tbh  .. I posted a pic of the Enola Gay and said Wow America has a plane named after the OMD song ... one friend took the  bait  , shame I couldn't get more , but oh well

Atlanta -  We only went as my mate is a Braves fan ,but we had a look around ,  the Cyclorama was interesting enough ( civil war theme going on here)  ..memorable because the night crew at Burger King called the Police when we tried to buy a burger at 2 am without a car  ..guess they've never watched playschool and know the universal mime for driving a car

Memphis - bit average to be honest , but then none of us our Elvis fans , saying that the Sun Studio tour was very good  ... nice bar area though and the Flying Saucer bar has about a trillion different beers you can drink

New Orleans - an easy train ride from Memphis , well it would be in a country that knew how to run trains , we had around a 5 hour delay and the buffet car ran out of beer to really rub it in  ... it's kind interesting though as you go through Missouri and what not and literally see a man on a porch with a banjo and straw in his mouth next to broken pick up truck  ... Bourbon street for your drinks , New Orleans Saints for your entertainment :)  and you can ride a paddle boat down the Mississippi river .. and also visit the graveyards , play name the movie for each street /landmark  , even the French Quarter  is nice  ..  nice place , worth a visit

Vegas - Yeah Vegas Baby , don't really need to say a lot here ... do the helicopter flight over the Canyon , it will take you over the hoover dam along the way  ... pick one that flys from MCarran , Boulder airport is miles away

Denver - a Kind of hidden Gem ... Rather than Denver itself we stayed in Golden which I guess would have a been a wild west outback back in the day , walked in a bar and everyone knew we were from out of town sort of thing , very friendly though  ... we went to Redrocks and saw a concert there , ( tick that one off the list) doesn't really matter who is playing just go for the experience   .... we also  drove up Mount Evans ( highest road in America  , tick that one off the list)  ... driving a 5 litre American muscle car that can't do corners around a mountain in the fog is always entertaining  .. also went to some steam train museum  ... Denver town is very nice even if it's tainted somewhat by the Bronco's stadium  :) a good couple of days all in all , well worth considering

Philadelphia - finished off there .. quite possibly the highlight  , where else can you run up the Rocky steps and do the "thing"  ... the walking tours are superb , even if they are slightly laced with pro American feelings :)  ... found an out of town bar with vinyl and a huge collection so you could just put a record on , left there at midnight asked a taxi to take us somewhere that we'd enjoy ... he took us to a gay bar  :) .. I sorta twigged when the music video went form Kyle to the Weather girls to YMCA , but in case I had any doubt a man with a beard sitting at the bar then waved at me  ... had a couple of drinks and then decided to move on , beardy man kept patting his knee for me to go and sit with him ... left the club ran into a gang of about 10 black kids who then proceeded to take the piss out of our accents when they heard us speak " would you like cup of tea" and that sort of thing ... needless to say we fell into the trap of thinking we were going to get robbed ,killed etc , so very sorry black kids of Philadelphia for thinking the worst of you  , and thanks for pointing us to the 7-11 and a bar that was still open  ..

Great place America , still so many bits of it I need to see

When in New Orleans drop by Jewel of the South and Manolito for drinks and food.

On 14/01/2024 at 14:30, Rugeley Villa said:

My missus wants to book now to go the US in 2025. Kids will be 12, 10 and 8. Is Florida the best place to go in terms of everything you’d want for a family holiday. I wouldn’t mind going west coast some point in my life but not just yet. Also how easy is it to get in with a criminal record nowadays? Talking over 10 years since last in trouble really. 

Not sure about getting in - but Florida is the easiest place to go for a family holiday - don't know about the best - but it's hard to go wrong planning a family trip to Florida.

Depends on the area you want to go.

1 hour ago, 3_Penny_Opera said:

When in New Orleans drop by Jewel of the South and Manolito for drinks and food.

I'm desperate to visit again to watch The Saints play .. and having read the article about your cocktails  a visit to jewel of the south would be high on the agenda 

but , I'm still currently prohibited from entering the USA ... my visa was denied due to visiting Iran , Syria  and North Korea  as they think I'm a high risk to you all  :) 

Spookily enough I emailed the US embassy again this morning as its been 5 years since they denied my visa and I emailed to ask them if they would consider relenting if I  re-applied  .. With current tensions , I'm not hopeful , but you never know 

58 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm desperate to visit again to watch The Saints play .. and having read the article about your cocktails  a visit to jewel of the south would be high on the agenda 

but , I'm still currently prohibited from entering the USA ... my visa was denied due to visiting Iran , Syria  and North Korea  as they think I'm a high risk to you all  :) 

Spookily enough I emailed the US embassy again this morning as its been 5 years since they denied my visa and I emailed to ask them if they would consider relenting if I  re-applied  .. With current tensions , I'm not hopeful , but you never know 

Just go through the southern border. Apparently anyone can get through according to Fox News!

• Haha 2

Ticked off a couple of the “to-do” list today, Santa Monica Pier and the Beach Boys National Monument.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

At LAX waiting to fly back to Blighty, it’s been an amazing trip and I’ll probably be boring you all with some pics in the Rogues Gallery at some point.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, rjw63 said:

At LAX waiting to fly back to Blighty, it’s been an amazing trip and I’ll probably be boring you all with some pics in the Rogues Gallery at some point.

Glad you enjoyed it. After your initial anxiety. How much of the typical American stuff did you do? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Glad you enjoyed it. After your initial anxiety. How much of the typical American stuff did you do? 

Ate Mexican and at a deli, did Hollywood, drank in a dive bar, shopped at Trader Joe and Target, watched live music but refrained from whooping 😉drank beer before mid day, got mistaken for an Aussie 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Ate Mexican and at a deli, did Hollywood, drank in a dive bar, shopped at Trader Joe and Target, watched live music but refrained from whooping 😉drank beer before mid day, got mistaken for an Aussie 😂

A common thing with our american friends. A mate of mine - a proppa new yorker (mate !) said that it was difficult for them to differentiate at times if they weren't familiar with the often aussie twang/nasal sound.

Then I said that it was the same for a lot of us with canadian and (some) american accents - he was almost horrified and wouldn't have it !

• Haha 1

Also meant to add, it's a fantastic place for a holiday but LA has the most horrendous homeless problem, they are everywhere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Also meant to add, it's a fantastic place for a holiday but LA has the most horrendous homeless problem, they are everywhere.

Yeah it's nuts isn't it? Definitley the worst I've seen anywhere, guessing it's because of the warm weather, loads on the metro

That said I stayed downtown (in an incredible Airbnb apartment) and I was only a few blocks away from the homeless town whatever it's called 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah it's nuts isn't it? Definitley the worst I've seen anywhere, guessing it's because of the warm weather, loads on the metro

That said I stayed downtown (in an incredible Airbnb apartment) and I was only a few blocks away from the homeless town whatever it's called 

I was in an AirBnB too but we did a bit of travelling and there are lines of tents under freeway overpasses that are rammed with homeless, that's without the ones who just doss on corners with shopping trollies full of stuff.

We also saw various lines of huge really old Winnebagos parked up with wheels chocked, with **** knows how many people in each one.

On 29/01/2024 at 12:40, rjw63 said:

Not just LA. Same in pretty much every city in North America. I’ve been in Atlanta, NYC and Vancouver and was amazed at the number of opiate casualties roaming the streets like zombies. 
That apart, sounds like you had an awesome trip. 

• Like 1

Â