The USA

Mantis

Just now, TheAuthority said:

There’s a BA flight direct to Denver. Driving Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Rocky Mountain National Park and dinosaur stuff is pretty epic.

I live in frankfurt so I'm looking at 11 hours to Denver 

Would also say frankfurt airpirt is a weird one in that it flys to a lot of places but flights aren't always that easy or convenient, I can fly lufthansa / united to Denver 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going to California in a couple of weeks, dreading the 11 hour flight and the poncing around at the airport and the fact that it's Heathrow.

Going  the day before and staying in a Travelodge that's near Heathrow, then three hours in the lounge and hopefully nothing goes wrong.

Also had to **** about getting US sim cards for the phone or come back to an astronomical bill. **** you O2.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 14:54, rjw63 said:

Going to California in a couple of weeks, dreading the 11 hour flight and the poncing around at the airport and the fact that it's Heathrow.

Going  the day before and staying in a Travelodge that's near Heathrow, then three hours in the lounge and hopefully nothing goes wrong.

Also had to **** about getting US sim cards for the phone or come back to an astronomical bill. **** you O2.

Who's it with? 

I flew back from LA with Norwegian and it was basically an 11 hour Ryanair flight, was **** horrific... But it was also about £180

It's just boring, even if they do give you a load of beer and have decent films on

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Who's it with? 

I flew back from LA with Norwegian and it was basically an 11 hour Ryanair flight, was **** horrific... But it was also about £180

It's just boring, even if they do give you a load of beer and have decent films on

Virgin I believe, used them for Barbados and they were good 

Yep, I've found Virgin to be good (insert kw gif).  Miles better than BA in my experience.  I also once did Air India to New York - they were long flights there and back (even though they served curry on the way).  I think Birmingham was a stop-off and I took one step up to the toilet and the stink from it half way down the plane put me right off - cue me running to the nearest toilet when I could upon landing. 

On 30/12/2023 at 05:54, rjw63 said:

Where in California?

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Santa Monica

Too far away to meet up for a beer.:(

Haven't spent any time there in many years.   Hope you have fun.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Too far away to meet up for a beer.:(

Haven't spent any time there in many years.   Hope you have fun.

Be strange not having a car but there's no chance I'm risking the roads of LA

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Be strange not having a car but there's no chance I'm risking the roads of LA

I've done the metro between the two, it's boring as **** but only about an hour, from memory it's just got way too many stops 

That said other than little Tokyo I'm not sure if there's anything in central LA I'd want to go do or do again 

SM I only walked around the centre and then to Venice beach and back, going further would be more interesting than the city IMO el segundo all the way down to redondo 

Just now, villa4europe said:

I've done the metro between the two, it's boring as **** but only about an hour, from memory it's just got way too many stops 

That said other than little Tokyo I'm not sure if there's anything in central LA I'd want to go do or do again 

SM I only walked around the centre and then to Venice beach and back, going further would be more interesting than the city IMO el segundo all the way down to redondo 

I know a few places in Santa Monica and some people to meet

• Like 1

Will be in South Beach Miami in October, last time there in 1980 with Laker Airways, other than the aliens in the mall what else should I do?

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Oh, also doing the touristy open top bus thing taking in Capitol Records, the Hollywood sign and other such stuff

4 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Will be in South Beach Miami in October, last time there in 1980 with Laker Airways, other than the aliens in the mall what else should I do?

Live Cuban music is always a good option there. Plenty of swanky hotel bars if that's your thing. If the Dolphins are playing, you could catch some live gridiron. The Hurricanes are the local college team as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Oh, also doing the touristy open top bus thing taking in Capitol Records, the Hollywood sign and other such stuff

You should do a helicopter tour to feast your eyes on the enormity of the L.A. basin.

8 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Catch a plane to somewhere else.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

You should do a helicopter tour to feast your eyes on the enormity of the L.A. basin.

I should but it’s about five hundred quid 😳

22 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Get yourself to Hank Moodys house in Venice Beach! :)

• Haha 1

On 06/01/2024 at 15:15, rjw63 said:

The Getty Museum is well worth a visit.   It's got a great view of LA below from the grounds.  You'll see the Capitor Records building on the way next to the freeway (not much to see, just a round building).  The  UCLA campus is just across the freeway off Sunset Blvd.  Also the Getty Villa, just up the PCH from Santa Monica is beatiful.

• Like 1

Â