The retro gaming thread!

BOF

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

How could I forget Mario Party?!

Definitely want that on there. Still a brilliant game and I play it (and Mario Party 2) regularly.

Yeah mario party for me is one of the best games and fun with mates. For me one and two are the best. I particularly liked the mini games in one. I actually brought a mario party top 100 mini games for the 3ds that has the most popular games from all the mario parties across all consoles. It's superb.

21 hours ago, omariqy said:

I've seen the RGB mod on a brand new LED TV and it looked really good. But it will set you back £60 to get it done. 

That's interesting. I'm going to wait and see what games the n64 classic has then if games liek goldeneye and banjo are missing I might look into this as have both games.

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah mario party for me is one of the best games and fun with mates. For me one and two are the best. I particularly liked the mini games in one. I actually brought a mario party top 100 mini games for the 3ds that has the most popular games from all the mario parties across all consoles. It's superb.

I re-purchased Mario Party 2 a few years ago and it cost me about £40 off ebay. Cheapest I could find at the time. They must be pretty hard to get hold of

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I re-purchased Mario Party 2 a few years ago and it cost me about £40 off ebay. Cheapest I could find at the time. They must be pretty hard to get hold of

I've actually got 1 2 and 3 at home. Wow didn't realise they go for that much!  I think I have about 25 games at home for my n64.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've actually got 1 2 and 3 at home. Wow didn't realise they go for that much!  I think I have about 25 games at home for my n64.

I don't think N64 games go for very much at all these days. It was just that one seemed to be hard to get hold of so was expensive.

Doesn't look like it's that much anymore.

I'd guess most N64 games would only fetch a couple of quid.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think N64 games go for very much at all these days. It was just that one seemed to be hard to get hold of so was expensive.

Doesn't look like it's that much anymore.

I'd guess most N64 games would only fetch a couple of quid.

Most games are between £5 and £25. It's the mint condition games in the box that go for stupid money.

If I'm not mistaken GoldenEye was rereleased on the Wii a few years back so I don't think there would be as much issue there.

Donkey Kong 64 and the Country games never saw Virtual Console releases on either the Wii or Wii U. So we're looking at a potential list of games to be left off of an also potential N64 Classic being:

Banjo Kazooie & Tooie

Perfect Dark

Donkey Kong 64

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Diddy Kong Racing

Jet Force Gemini

All essential games, probably any of them only bettered by the Zelda games and Super Mario 64. Gonna be tricky.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

If I'm not mistaken GoldenEye was rereleased on the Wii a few years back so I don't think there would be as much issue there.

Donkey Kong 64 and the Country games never saw Virtual Console releases on either the Wii or Wii U. So we're looking at a potential list of games to be left off of an also potential N64 Classic being:

Banjo Kazooie & Tooie

Perfect Dark

Donkey Kong 64

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Diddy Kong Racing

Jet Force Gemini

All essential games, probably any of them only bettered by the Zelda games and Super Mario 64. Gonna be tricky.

Goldeneye has never been re-released. A weird modern 'reimagining' of it was released on the 360 era consoles, which took Goldeneye's outline and made a more modern style FPS with Daniel Craig as Bond, but they're very different things. Goldeneye as said is likely a game that'll never be re-released due to its licensing issues.

Donkey Kong Country was released on the Snes Mini last year and the entire series has been on the Virtual Console. Donkey Kong 64 is also on the Virtual Console.

Stuff Rare worked on that features Nintendo characters is fair game for Nintendo to use. Whether they would is a different story - Diddy Kong Racing might not appear on an N64 Mini that would feature a limited number of titles and also certainly would have Mario Kart 64 on it. DK64 might not appear as it's not the most well regarded of Rare's work, but I'd probably say it's more likely given it's VC appearance and they'd probably want to fill in the gap left by Banjo being missing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Goldeneye has never been re-released. A weird modern 'reimagining' of it was released on the 360 era consoles, which took Goldeneye's outline and made a more modern style FPS with Daniel Craig as Bond, but they're very different things. Goldeneye as said is likely a game that'll never be re-released due to its licensing issues.

Donkey Kong Country was released on the Snes Mini last year and the entire series has been on the Virtual Console. Donkey Kong 64 is also on the Virtual Console.

Stuff Rare worked on that features Nintendo characters is fair game for Nintendo to use. Whether they would is a different story - Diddy Kong Racing might not appear on an N64 Mini that would feature a limited number of titles and also certainly would have Mario Kart 64 on it. DK64 might not appear as it's not the most well regarded of Rare's work, but I'd probably say it's more likely given it's VC appearance and they'd probably want to fill in the gap left by Banjo being missing.

Did DK64 really already in the Virtual Console? I was waiting for it for years.

I remember a Nintendo DS port of Diddy Kong Racing being released like 10 years ago and it had Banjo and Conker replaced with other characters smh. You're right about the Rare games with Nintendo characters being fair game but sadly those are the worst ones.

I mean personally I don't mind, I have almost all of those games for my N64 but it would have been nice to have it only for some of the harder games to find for only $60-80 retail.

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

DK64 was put on the Virtual Console in 2015 it seems. Nintendo was always terrible at advertising the VC releases.

They still are today. They really to sack their advertising department that deals with this

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

Purchased an s-video cable from Console Goods and a Tendak S-video to HDMI converter. Picture has improved massively. Just started Goldeneye again yesterday. It's so good still today.

How much were each?

20 hours ago, omariqy said:

Purchased an s-video cable from Console Goods and a Tendak S-video to HDMI converter. Picture has improved massively. Just started Goldeneye again yesterday. It's so good still today.

Sounds like I might have to do this

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How much were each?

The cable was £7.90 plus postage and the Tendak converter was £28 from amazon. S-Video is the best picture you can get on a hd tv without modding the n64 and getting something like the OSSC or Framemeister (which are high end scalers). The alternative is to buy those retro consoles that have all the consoles in one like the Odroid previously posted on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

The cable was £7.90 plus postage and the Tendak converter was £28 from amazon. S-Video is the best picture you can get on a hd tv without modding the n64 and getting something like the OSSC or Framemeister (which are high end scalers). The alternative is to buy those retro consoles that have all the consoles in one like the Odroid previously posted on here. 

Thanks I might have to look into this. I don't suppose you can upload a video somewhere to see this !!

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks I might have to look into this. I don't suppose you can upload a video somewhere to see this !!

I don't have a capture card but there are lots of videos online. Check out Adam Koralik. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sony getting in on the act, Playstation Classic on the way...

https://kotaku.com/sony-just-announced-the-99-playstation-classic-console-1829159574?IR=T

It’ll be out on December 3 in the US and Canada, and includes games like Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms. There’ll be 20 bundled titles in total, but those five are the only ones announced at the moment.

Annoyingly, like the SNES Classic, the PlayStation Classic won’t include an AC adaptor, with the only power option being a bundled USB cable.

The PlayStation Classic will include two original PS1 controllers and a HDMI cable, and cost US$99.99 (€99.99 in Europe).

Here's the ad

Wild ARMS! Absolutely cracking JRPG, with an awesome soundtrack 

Now put Legend of Legaia, Grandia, Legend of Dragoon, Alundra, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Jade Cocoon, Breath of Fire III, Suikoden 2 and Xenogears on it and take my damn money. 

Â