The retro gaming thread!

BOF

Oh for sure. I was close to selling my Dreamcast and array of games not long ago, tested them, everything in full working order...decided against it in the end! Most of my SNES stuff went though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hogso said:

Oh for sure. I was close to selling my Dreamcast and array of games not long ago, tested them, everything in full working order...decided against it in the end! Most of my SNES stuff went though. 

Yeah snes for some reason didnt hold its value like N64 did.

Ive actually got a dream cast too under my bed. A top console that was very under rated.

The controllers though were **** bigger than my hands!

The Retrotink 4K looks absolutely incredible.

36c4ce_92f5597b8a1b4340886e23876e82f3e8~

Did We Miss Something?

Drop a question on the corresponding Twitter thread: https://www.retrotink.com/post/introducing-the-retrotink-4k And we'll do our best to answer it to the best of our ability!

Sample Captures

TBD :)

Clicky

I can't wait to see MyLifeInGaming put it through its paces. A very underrated boon of this is being able to scale consoles like the PS3 and Switch which have huge 720p libraries that TV's do a blurry upscale on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The Retrotink 4K looks absolutely incredible.

Clicky

I can't wait to see MyLifeInGaming put it through its paces. A very underrated boon of this is being able to scale consoles like the PS3 and Switch which have huge 720p libraries that TV's do a blurry upscale on.

This looks good i do  have reservations if it might be strong enough to play the higher end consoles

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This looks good i do  have reservations if it might be strong enough to play the higher end consoles

It can take anything up to 1080p, so basically every console up to PS4 Pro can be cleanly scaled to 4K. I think consoles like original Xbox and PS3 will benefit the most.

One underrated aspect of this that just occured to me is the lag reduction. Because it does a (in most general cases) lagless scale to 4K, your 4K TV doesn't need to upscale it to its native resolution, which invariably introduces lag. My TV's lowest input lag reading is at 4K60.

As someone who plays a lot of fighting games and arcade shooters, this is a game changer. I can play 720p PS3 and Switch games and not worry about the added lag anymore. It completely levels the playing field across all my consoles. Wow. I'm definitely getting this as a Christmas gift for myself.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

One underrated aspect of this that just occured to me is the lag reduction. Because it does a (in most general cases) lagless scale to 4K, your 4K TV doesn't need to upscale it to its native resolution, which invariably introduces lag. My TV's lowest input lag reading is at 4K60.

As someone who plays a lot of fighting games and arcade shooters, this is a game changer. I can play 720p PS3 and Switch games and not worry about the added lag anymore. It completely levels the playing field across all my consoles. Wow. I'm definitely getting this as a Christmas gift for myself.

It looks very good but as someone whonis not good with this kind of technology it looks quite complicated 

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It looks very good but as someone whonis not good with this kind of technology it looks quite complicated 

One of the major selling points of the Retrotink line is the ease of use funnily enough. In this case, you set the output to 4K60, and it's literally just plug and play. Anything you put in it will output 4K, no hassle. The beauty of it is that if you're inclined to tinker (hence the name, I'm guessing), the options seem limitless.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

One of the major selling points of the Retrotink line is the ease of use funnily enough. In this case, you set the output to 4K60, and it's literally just plug and play. Anything you put in it will output 4K, no hassle. The beauty of it is that if you're inclined to tinker (hence the name, I'm guessing), the options seem limitless.

Thanks I might grab one and if i get stuck drop you a line =]

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to bring the attention of all you oldschool gamers like myself (Speccy>Amiga> PS1>Early DOS), I came across something interesting yesterday. I use Backbone to play games from various sources on an Android phone. Had an email from backbone saying they'd teamed up with Antstream (i'd never heard of them) which is a platform for streaming retro games (I think it's also available on Xbox, but I don't have one of those). 

I was skeptical, but had a look at their games list, and it's awesome. Signed up on the spot. It's 29.99 for a year's subscription (with a 20% discount from Backbone). 

Spent last night playing SWOS, Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island 2 and some speccy games I'd not thought about for 30 years. I went into my dribbling happy place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I just wanted to bring the attention of all you oldschool gamers like myself (Speccy>Amiga> PS1>Early DOS), I came across something interesting yesterday. I use Backbone to play games from various sources on an Android phone. Had an email from backbone saying they'd teamed up with Antstream (i'd never heard of them) which is a platform for streaming retro games (I think it's also available on Xbox, but I don't have one of those). 

I was skeptical, but had a look at their games list, and it's awesome. Signed up on the spot. It's 29.99 for a year's subscription (with a 20% discount from Backbone). 

Spent last night playing SWOS, Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island 2 and some speccy games I'd not thought about for 30 years. I went into my dribbling happy place.

Sounds good but how difficult is it to play on your smart phone? I once tried to play golden axe on mine ans man it was awful because of the controls 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Sounds good but how difficult is it to play on your smart phone? I once tried to play golden axe on mine ans man it was awful because of the controls 

The phone alone would be rubbish, to be fair, but with backbone you have a controller that attaches and just works. It's a bit laggy, but works fine. 

Incidentally going back to SWOS after all this time, it's sooooooooo fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled this YouTube channel, which has an occasional series on forgotten PS1 titles. I really quite like it. The guy has a good eye and ear for the presentation and his retrospectives are on the money.

This latest episode though jumped out because he covers Loaded and ReLoaded.  Loaded is one is those weird games that has chopped itself into my brain, but only in fragments - I could remember some of the music, some of the downright bizarre FMV sequences, some of the gameplay and the character design, most notably Fwank. I couldn't ever remember what the game actually was, but I had those snippets from when I played it, far too young, and enjoyed it's mindless gameplay, violence, banging soundtrack with bonus Pop Will Eat Itself tracks, and 'edgy' humour and design, welded into my brain. So it was nice to get a retrospective on it. I know it's rubbish, but it kinda has a place in my heart. That 2000ad design and the mid-90s-tastic cocktail of dark edgy humour, industrial rock and techno, and mindless violence, you can't beat it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Stumbled this YouTube channel, which has an occasional series on forgotten PS1 titles. I really quite like it. The guy has a good eye and ear for the presentation and his retrospectives are on the money.

This latest episode though jumped out because he covers Loaded and ReLoaded.  Loaded is one is those weird games that has chopped itself into my brain, but only in fragments - I could remember some of the music, some of the downright bizarre FMV sequences, some of the gameplay and the character design, most notably Fwank. I couldn't ever remember what the game actually was, but I had those snippets from when I played it, far too young, and enjoyed it's mindless gameplay, violence, banging soundtrack with bonus Pop Will Eat Itself tracks, and 'edgy' humour and design, welded into my brain. So it was nice to get a retrospective on it. I know it's rubbish, but it kinda has a place in my heart. That 2000ad design and the mid-90s-tastic cocktail of dark edgy humour, industrial rock and techno, and mindless violence, you can't beat it.

That's a blast from the past. I remember being blown away when I played the demo over and over on the disc which came with the PS1. Pretty sure I picked up ReLoaded later on too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

Great recommendation! I watched his Squaresoft PS1 retrospective video today, good stuff. 

It did make me pine all over again for Racing Lagoon... 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

I got a ‘game stick lite’ for Christmas. I saw it advertised on Facebook and various other sites that probably listen to me, thought it looked good (albeit too good to be true, so I was fully expecting it to be useless). But it’s actually pretty great. 

10,000+ (well, there’s a lot, but I’m not counting!) retro games across MAME, Atari, Snes, Megadrive, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance & PS1. 

It’s paid for itself in nostalgia already! I’ve sunk a load of time into Micromachines 96, Theme Park, Pang 96, Metal Slug, Donkey Kong, a bunch of classics like Centipede, and a Megadrive game called ‘Zoom’ that I used to play at a family members house and don’t think I’ve seen or even thought of for maybe 25 years. 

Â