Player Options before January window

Grasshopper

If promotion this season is still a target, apart from a change of manager & coaching staff, what other options do we have?

Loans?

non contracted players?

Youth players?

In other threads I've often pointed to squad depth as a problem.

I'm of the opinion that we didnt buy enough players in the summer. Not all of our signings could have hit the ground running or settle in straight away anyway.

So where are we now?

I think we are short in the following positions/areas.

1 - GK - as good as Gollini may become, we dont have a good enough back up IF he either gets injured, Loses confidence or gets a few red cards/suspensions during a 46 game season. No competition for place or Experience on the bench (ie Given Mark Schwarzer)

2 - RB - Bacuna is out best back up option. Hutton/Richards are just too mistake prone

3 - CB - We have Elphick Chester & Baker. We are 1 injury/suspension away from "no-one on the bench" 2 injuries/suspensions away from playing Richards as CB

3 - LB - is Amavi fit yet? With Elphick/Chester/Baker as what we have in the middle easily overpowered weak fullbacks only add to our problems, thus Bacuna/Hutton/Richards on the right and Cissokho as LB our back 4 is not a strong unit overloading the responsibilities put on 2 of Elphick Chester &/or Baker.

4 - DM - We dont have one - Jedi isnt working out, Westwood/Gardner/Tish cant do that job. (In an ideal world we would need 2 capable of playing as DM)

5 - CM - I see only Tish (and not every game form/injury) as an option when we need to play 2 + 1DM and have someone on the bench/competition

6 - Wingers or WB's (L&R) Bacuna & Amavi in a 3CB's system but we have no back up

I'm not going into our forward options because untill the 2/3rds of the pitch we need to solve first is sorted we cant argue about having enough options when we have a pool of 6 players Gestede Kodjia McCormack Ayew Grealish & Adomah to choose from for 2 or 3 positions

So who can we bring in on Loan?

Who can we get (permits and fitness permitting) from the "non-contracted" player pool?

Of our Youth/Young players, who, if any could be a serious first 11 player? Good enough from the bench? Worth blooding to see if they can hack it?

We appear to be in the fortunate position of having an owner willing to invest, so what can we actually do for now till January?

I really doubt that going with what we have is enough to be within range of the playoff places by Jan 1.

If things conspire against us we really could be dragged into the bottom 3 and be battling to avoid L1. We all saw how last season went, we all hoped it would get better whereas indeed the opposite happened.

Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure who we could get for free before January. I was having a look and all of them would be a punt based on age and such. Plus I'm not sure if the players would want to come. Anyway, here are some potential options:

Miroslav Klose

Leon Osman

Alex

Martin Caceres

Kevin Nolan

Simao

Sulley Muntari

Royston Drenthe

Michael Essien

Do any of those names look good to anyone? Not sure myself but think those ones are the ones that could potentially do a job. Mainly based on past experience. Some may well be past it though...

1 hour ago, briggaman said:

Not sure who we could get for free before January. I was having a look and all of them would be a punt based on age and such. Plus I'm not sure if the players would want to come. Anyway, here are some potential options:

Miroslav Klose

Leon Osman

Alex

Martin Caceres

Kevin Nolan

Simao

Sulley Muntari

Royston Drenthe

Michael Essien

Do any of those names look good to anyone? Not sure myself but think those ones are the ones that could potentially do a job. Mainly based on past experience. Some may well be past it though...

Leon Osman would be my first choice as I've seen him play most recently. He did well in its last year for Everton. Problem being with all these us how fit are they and how long would it take to get them match fit? I'd be offering trials to a few though. 

This weekend in the immediate aftermath of watching Wolves play at Villa park, I was all for us going to get two or three out of contract types,  Muntari,  Essien, Reo Coker are all available.  But then I've thought about it and frankly they are all available for one reason. In addition not knowing anything about their fitness levels and seeing as this is an issue for those we have it may take them two months to get match ready by which time we can buy someone better, and make them crap.  So what's the point. ? On saying that I would not argue if he got one or two and gave them 6 month contracts.  Essien has to be worth a punt but would he just be Jedinak mark two.

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

but wouldn't fitness be an issue for all out of contract players?

It is for a few of our contracted players. ;) I would like to think if they wanted to stay in the game they would keep themselves reasonably fit in the hope that someone like us would give them a chance during the season. If Brucie was interested in an out of contract player for the season I would guess he could have a look at them before making a decision by inviting them to have a run around BH for a week or two. I suspect he will go with what we have until the window and will then look to bring players in early doors.   

I would rather give Stan Petrov a chance.

Been here, done that. Okay he is not a 48 games a season player, nor would he see out a full 90 minutes, but you know he actually gives a **** about this club.

Personally I thought it was disgraceful the way he was encouraged to train with the squad then dropped like a fly by RDM and refused a contract.

I think we should put a word in the managers ear and get Stan back to Bodymoor!

- Was it just me or was there a real buzz when he was training with us in the summer.. the lads definitely thought so!

BRING BACK STAN!