Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

"Well you know, we've a way to go yet, people think I have had millions but that simply isn't true. Look, it's a big club, big expectations go with that, I know that, and we are looking at bringing in players who can deal with that. We've a way to go. Look, when I arrived our remit was just to survive in the league, we've done that, but we are looking to try and kick on now. It's a job, it's a big job and there's nobody more up to the task that me, we are trying to find a balance, it's tough when you are taking over a team used to losing, we are working on getting a few more in to make us competitive, we're playing catch up at the minute, all I ask is for fans to be patient."

"...but Steve, what do you say to the people who state it's 2024 and you've been saying this for the past 6 years?"

"Well you know, we've a way to go yet, people think I have had millions but that simply isn't true. Look, it's a big club, big expectations go with that, I know that, and we are looking at bringing in players who can deal with that. We've a way to go. Look, when I arrived our remit was just to survive in the league, we've done that, but we are looking to try and kick on now. It's a job, it's a big job and there's nobody more up to the task that me, we are trying to find a balance, it's tough when you are taking over a team used to losing, we are working on getting a few more in to make us competitive, we're playing catch up at the minute, all I ask is for fans to be patient."

Ding Ding Ding

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think his point is that while factual, it's not really something to brag about? I'd rather he be more positive and say something like while we're unbeaten which is encouraging, we still have a ways to go. But instead he uses it as a shield.

If we were unbeaten against promotion contenders and/or top half teams, fine...that's actually really good. 2 of teams we faced so far were in a relegation battle last season, 1 was newly promoted, and 1 is currently propping up the table. The best team we faced so far has been Brentford who are a decent side to be fair, but in this unbeaten run we've had more draws than wins. It's not bad by any means, but it's nothing to write home about either.

I can't be arsed to maintain this particular line of debate, not least because generally speaking I put faith in about 5% of what Managers say at press conferences / to the media.

If he uses it as a shield it's because he feels the need to be defensive, he feels the need to be defensive because from day one he's been 'attacked'. He's not stupid, he'll know being ex-SHA that he was always going to be on the back foot here but why do you (and others) think it's okay to berate him, constantly, and then pull him up when he tries to defend himself, it's bizarre, happy to dish it out but can't take it comes to mind.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So he's basically just told a truth, or do you dispute that we're unbeaten?

Maybe he should have said we're winless, I'm confused, what do you want to hear?

Weeellllll....... I’d hate to be classed as fermenting the crisis, but actually, we ARENT unbeaten. Burton say Hello.

17 hours ago, A'Villan said:

The point of comparison that I was making is that Bielsa is obviously serious about his work, studying analysis that I highly doubt Bruce would ever even contemplate. As a result he is now familiar with his competition in detail, probably safe to say his near perfect start is testament to his research. So the point was in relation to your choosing Benitez over Bruce and not Bielsa. I'd take Bielsa over both, that's all really :)

He isn't afraid to tell a professional footballer they are going to pick up rubbish for 3 hours because that's how long it takes the average supporter to earn the coin to buy a match-day ticket. What some might consider pointless I consider to be humbling and character building.

Agree completely there is no perfect style, but there are strengths and weaknesses to any given approach and you want to choose appropriately.

We will see what Biesla does over the season and then revisit the debate......half a dozen games is not enough.

He has a mixed reputation.....and the amount of wins on his cv is modest.

There must be a reason why he has not presided over the top teams of Europe.

We will see.

In the meantime, lets just support the one we have....Steve Bruce.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I can't be arsed to maintain this particular line of debate, not least because generally speaking I put faith in about 5% of what Managers say at press conferences / to the media.

If he uses it as a shield it's because he feels the need to be defensive, he feels the need to be defensive because from day one he's been 'attacked'. He's not stupid, he'll know being ex-SHA that he was always going to be on the back foot here but why do you (and others) think it's okay to berate him, constantly, and then pull him up when he tries to defend himself, it's bizarre, happy to dish it out but can't take it comes to mind.

Nobody cares about his SHA connections from 15 years ago, that is an exceptional reach there. I definitely expect to hear that excuse from him if he ever gets fired though. 

He's a grown ass man, paid millions to manage one of the most famous English football clubs. It seems he's the one who can't handle criticism. Pointing out that his defenses are weak, is just that. I'm actually baffled more than anything that he's said all of that just like I was after the Burton game. 

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Weeellllll....... I’d hate to be classed as fermenting the crisis, but actually, we ARENT unbeaten. Burton say Hello.

No one cares about the mickey mouse cup, it will be entirely forgotten along with each of our other ignominious exits from this competition. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

Nobody cares about his SHA connections from 15 years ago, that is an exceptional reach there. I definitely expect to hear that excuse from him if he ever gets fired though. 

He's a grown ass man, paid millions to manage one of the most famous English football clubs. It seems he's the one who can't handle criticism. Pointing out that his defenses are weak, is just that. I'm actually baffled more than anything that he's said all of that just like I was after the Burton game. 

He could say the sky is blue and you'd find it baffling so.......... 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He could say the sky is blue and you'd find it baffling so.......... 

Right.

I find his last 2 interviews baffling, because as I've mentioned before in this thread he usually gives measured and honest interviews. He's spouted a ton of bullshit in the last 2 though. If you want to defend his comments, by all means provide sound arguments on why you think he's right instead of being immature and getting on anybody who criticizes him for the sake of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No one cares about the mickey mouse cup, it will be entirely forgotten along with each of our other ignominious exits from this competition. 

Regardless, we lost.

Im more than sure had we won it would count.

And I haven’t forgotten those exits.

And I do care about the competition, and, I guarantee, had we got to the final we’d have sold out.

And had we won, we’d  nearly all go on about it forever and a day.

So I  disagree with your assessment.

But whether I did or not, outside of Trumps White House facts are still facts, and truth is still truth.

We are not unbeaten !

16 hours ago, villianusa said:

He is doing okay and that is from someone who supports him more than most on here. We have garnered more points that this time last year but the performances are very much the same. The team is turning out some turgid stuff while under his supervision. While we are winning or not losing too many the majority of the fans will support him, but if he loses a few that he is expected to win and I believe it could be the start of the end. It started this week even though it was only the cup.

He has been given enough time now to have the team at least play cohesively no matter the result. I know he has bought in more new players and it will take them a little to settle,  but this spin cycle can't continue. He has come up with similar excuses about his teams under performing for him, if I was the manager I would be seriously worried. The team showed against Wolves they can play, he needs to start getting more of those performances. 

If I was the owner of the club and kept hearing my manager say the team isn't performing as the he expected, then I would be looking for a new manager.

I still have faith in Bruce but it is waning, not because I'm not happy with the position, but I'm just not inspired by his words much anymore. 

I think Every manager has to be given a chance and Steve Bruce has had some disruption to put up with......But even I who have supported him like I have, cannot just go on blindly doing the same.

He has been given an opportunity, albeit late in the window.....He now has to deliver.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

I get both sides of the argument but I don't get why people are so obsessed with picking apart every little thing he says. I feel there are some blinkers going up.

Hmm, yeah I too wonder why fans discuss what the manager of their club says says in the thread dedicated to discussing him especially when what he said directly addresses them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, av1 said:

Agreed. I want Bruce out as much as anyone, but his replacement has to right. If you were to offer me the likes Moyes we as may aswell keep bruce. 

One thing that does give me hope is the time it's taking to find a CEO. Of course they could takes months looking and still get in wrong, but the fact they have taken so long suggests the search is thorough,  which with a bit of look suggests they may be aiming high.

Get the CEO right, and we have a better (not guaranteed) chance of getting everything else right (including manager).

Its been my overall point all along.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Hmm, yeah I too wonder why fans discuss what the manager of their club says says in the thread dedicated to discussing him especially when what he said directly addresses them.

Seems genuinely hysterical. At times this isn't a discussion it's like some mad predjudiced self-justifiying out-of-control obsession.

9 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Seems genuinely hysterical. At times this isn't a discussion it's like some mad predjudiced self-justifiying out-of-control obsession.

That's an odd way to look at it. 

The manager makes comments generally before a match and after it. Regardless of who was manager, people discuss those comments in their respective threads, if they're worth discussing of course. Obviously when the comments are more controversial, there's more commentary. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

If anything, Steve has gotten the least vociferous opposition from the fans out of all of our managers in the last 8 years, by some distance too.

Edited by Keyblade

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If anything, Steve has gotten the least vociferous opposition from the fans out of all of our managers in the last 8 years, by some distance too.

Yep. Easiest ride in terms of fan support and job difficulty and he reacts the worst to any criticism. 

I cant stand him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep. Easiest ride in terms of fan support and job difficulty and he reacts the worst to any criticism. 

I cant stand him. 

He's done some fine work lowering expectations at Aston Villa.

Press and now fans treat his results like great achievements and compare them to previous managers' efforts in the Premier League.

He's bad news, and every day he's here is only damaging us further.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its been my overall point all along.

And i think most would agree with that.

Whislt I'm not a fan of Bruce and think he should be doing a lot better, I'm not blind to the fact there are many guys that could also do a lot worse. 

I want him gone but I'm nowhere near the 'anyone but Bruce' stage, like i have felt with 1 or 2 of the chancers we've employed over the last few years. 

Â