Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

But he still won 2 games out of 14 in his final season.

so its all debatable.

Big Ron, had some good players, he bought some good players in the early part of his stay....but then they were not so good.

managers are important......but if you haven't got the players you are toast.

ours are not good enough Dave.....trust me.

I know you think our manager is not good enough, but he is not on his own.....a better manager will not make this lot that much better.

TRO - I'm long enough in the tooth to know this much about our current squad - I also know there are managers out there who try to play the game in the right manner - take Tony Mowbray for instance never had  proper money to spend or quality at his disposal - but always sets up to play the game in the proper way - why oh why can't Bruce ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

But he still won 2 games out of 14 in his final season.

so its all debatable.

Big Ron, had some good players, he bought some good players in the early part of his stay....but then they were not so good.

I know you think our manager is not good enough, but he is not on his own.....a better manager will not make this lot that much better.

TRO - like you I can go back many years my first game was v Royal

Antwerp at VP so that should tell you.

but in all honesty the days watching Big Rons team were my favourite of all time  - including the championship team 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I genuinely am baffled.

This time last year you were predicting great things for us. We’ve only lost Terry and SJ from then.

And, as you have pointed out often, we only narrowly missed promotion.

And now he’s had another full per season with the players.

And no  Wolves this year with their huge advantage.

Why the huge swing ?

I see no reason to expect anything less than a good tilt at Automatic Promotion.

I refuse to believe the rumour that it’s a way of lowering expectations for Mr B.....?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

TRO - I'm long enough in the tooth to know this much about our current squad - I also know there are managers out there who try to play the game in the right manner - take Tony Mowbray for instance never had  proper money to spend or quality at his disposal - but always sets up to play the game in the proper way - why oh why can't Bruce ?

I’d hazard a guess that he doesn’t change because his method has been pretty successful.

There have been ( for example) loads of ex Man U players try management. None have lasted like Brucie. And how many Managers DO change their style ? I can’t think of any at all.

Like it or loath it, it’s how he plays the game, always has.

( which is another reason I have always disagreed with @TRO view that he does it because of the players) - (which, incidentally, would be very damning if it were the case since he’s had enough time to get some in who play differently !!)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree, but I’ve just heard Kate Bush is 60 this weekend, thars pretty close....

Does that mean that THOSE pert nippels are now surrounding her belly button? ?

Edited by sidcow

34 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

“I think we should start a League competition”, William McGregor once said to me. Feel younger now Sid? :)

If William McGregor once said anything to you I will feel young indeed! 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

so you think Tony Mowbray would set  us up in a better way that would change this team of ours ,fortunes....

ok Dave.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Does that mean that THOSE pert nippels are now surrounding her belly button? ?

No. I’m afraid my nipples are as far away from her belly button as they have ever been...? ....glad you like them though ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't think any 8 words have ever made me feel so old 

First manager I remember was John Gregory, that feel any better? ?

O.T: I can’t believe we’re talking about Tony Mowbray. Maybe since we’re throwing around silly names of managers who are better than Bruce, but aren’t really. Is Paul Jewell still about?

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I genuinely am baffled.

This time last year you were predicting great things for us. We’ve only lost Terry and SJ from then.

And, as you have pointed out often, we only narrowly missed promotion.

And now he’s had another full per season with the players.

And no  Wolves this year with their huge advantage.

Why the huge swing ?

I see no reason to expect anything less than a good tilt at Automatic Promotion.

I refuse to believe the rumour that it’s a way of lowering expectations for Mr B.....?

I'm baffled too Terry.....by what bit you don't understand.

I supported the team and the manager all season, watched all the home games and was generally pleased....but had reservations about certain things from certain players.

I think we finished in our rightful position.....but then they say over 40 odd games teams usually do.

I don't think we was good enough for Automatic promotion and I don't think we are at this point either for the forthcoming season.....not knowing who we are likely to sign, but my expectations on that are pretty low.

Now you can blame the manager or the players for that or both.....I think its a bit of both with a leaning to the players not being good enough.....but what I am saying is.....I seen things during the season that suggested to me that the team would not get and Automatic spot.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm baffled too Terry.....by what bit you don't understand.

I supported the team and the manager all season, watched all the home games and was generally pleased....but had reservations about certain things from certain players.

I think we finished in our rightful position.....but then they say over 40 odd games teams usually do.

I don't think we was good enough for Automatic promotion and I don't think we are at this point either for the forthcoming season.....not knowing who we are likely to sign, but my expectations on that are pretty low.

Now you can blame the manager or the players for that or both.....I think its a bit of both with a leaning to the players not being good enough.....but what I am saying is.....I seen things during the season that suggested to me that the team would not get and Automatic spot.

But you WERE regularly saying we were good enough for promotion before the season started ? And in the Spring actually if I recall correctly.  Then we narrowly missed out, and now you’ve written us off ?

I could understand if you’d gone from 95% certain to 60%, or from 60% to 25%. But you’ve gone from 95% to 0 %........I don’t get it sorry... hopefully when the season starts you will feel more optimistic ?

Edited by terrytini

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But you WERE regularly saying we were good enough for promotion before the season started ? Then we narrowly missed out, and now you’ve written us off ?

I could understand if you’d gone from 95% certain to 60%, or from 60% to 25%. But you’ve gone from 95% to 0 %........I don’t get it sorry... hopefully when the season starts you will feel more optimistic ?

Before the season started, yes....I thought we had a good chance.

When I got to see them play,over a fair few games, my optimism wained.....Having said all that with more consistency, we could have done it....but we didn't....Hence not good enough to do it over 46 games.

This season.....I will be shocked, but happy if we make any kind of mark.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But you WERE regularly saying we were good enough for promotion before the season started ? And in the Spring actually if I recall correctly.  Then we narrowly missed out, and now you’ve written us off ?

hopefully.....if positions are strengthened where i think we have weakness......I may change my mind.

Â