Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I haven't commented in this thread for a good 4 or 5 weeks. Possibly as far back as the Cardiff game. At that stage I was still happy to give Bruce time. Obviously as long as he is manager then there is a chance he can turn things around but I don't  now see that happening though.

Where he is most pissing me off is that he has gone from bigging the club up to now playing us down. He said yesterday that we are playing the favourites for promotion on Tuesday. That they have invested heavily over the summer. It was clear he was trying to be clever and sneakily suggest that he hasn't been backed. He has though. He spent good money in January. Over the summer in Terry, Whelan, Snodgrass he has brought in three players on wages 99% of other Championship clubs could only dream of. He has been backed and some. Regardless though when he came in he acknowledged the club had spent a fortune, that it couldn't continue and that the squad was very good for this level.

He has been a huge disappointment for me. I looked at his CV and thought he was the right fit for where we are and where we initially need to get to. Thought having captained Man Utd he would be able to handle the pressure of leading the biggest fish in the pond. Ten odd months since he arrived though shows he can't. He has gone into self preservation mode and is getting his excuses in whilst still in the job for why he has failed.The players aren't stupid and will see that and when it gets to that stage the writing is on the wall and he now has to be moved on.

He started this just days before the season started. I think he knew exactly what was going to happen and has been trying to control how he's viewed while waiting for the sack and his pay off. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

If there's a market for next boss, (which there probably is as I havent checked), I'd lump a tenner on Dean Smith. It seems the easy choice and would get the majority of fans onside as he's "one of us".

Villa dont generally do innovative, exciting or ambitious appointments.

Tony Xia is the sort of bloke that wears his heart on his sleeve, so i think the idea of Villa fan in charge would massively appeal to him. 

If Dean Smith got as far as an interview, and that interview was with Xia rather than Wyness, i could see Smiths passion for the job massively impressing Xia. 

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Someone mentioned he wants the sack. I agree with this. Turning on fans, Picking injured or tired players then saying it's his fault afterwards. Saying it's the worst we ever played under him even though it's now pretty much his team.  Talking about how he has to balance books and clean up the mess.

It all point to Xia sack me please and give me my compo. This will continue until the inevitable happens. Football management at big clubs must be the only job you get rewarded financially if you fail. (And banking).

Bruce is in damage limitation mode. He knows being sacked is on the horizon because everything he has tried, from 'tactics' to man management strategies, has not worked. As a result his focus is to build one big narrative he can use as an excuse for when he does leave - we've seen him suggest he hasn't been given enough resources (which is ridiculous when you look at who he has signed) and continuous digs at the fans. When he does leave he will no doubt blame lack of support and unrealistic expectations from both the chairman and the fans. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Shouldn't let it go to Tuesday - the gap is big enough already , do it now .

Agree mate but can't see anything happening until after the game on Tuesday if Villa lose. He might even get until the Barnsley game but one would hope not?

34 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Time to go, trouble is I wouldn't have a clue who to replace him with!! 

I think that might be the problem the club is having which is perhaps a sad indictment on the likes of Wyness and Round.

When RDM had a poor start last season Bruce was out of work, had the four promotions on his CV and seemed a logical choice. Now I don't think there is an obvious choice but there are clearly managers out there who could get a decent tune out of this bunch of players and there are people paid a lot of money at this club whose responsibility it is to find and attract a manager capable of doing that.

I know the club desperately craved some stability and I agreed with that but you can't have stability for stability sake. There has to be improvement on the pitch and decent results to justify giving any manager time. Bruce has had 10 months and we are looking as poor now as the day he arrived, if not poorer.

You'd like to think that his replacement has already been identified, or that they have names in mind, as he can't be anymore than 1 or 2 poor more poor results away from getting the boot and at this stage it would be incompetence not to have identified a handful of potential replacements.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree mate but can't see anything happening until after the game on Tuesday if Villa lose. He might even get until the Barnsley game but one would hope not?

I'm still holding onto the hope that a decision will be made before Tuesday . 

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Shouldn't let it go to Tuesday - the gap is big enough already , do it now .

100%. Bruce is on record as saying Middlesbrough are favourites for promotion. He also said in his interview yesterday that Tuesday night was a night for experience. 

Now we all know what that means. If the bloke goes all defensive against the team in 22nd, Tuesday night will be another embarrassing 90 minutes of defensive dross, cowering to the might of Middlesbrough hoping that the Scottish Cafu produces a "moment of magic"

With Bruce in Charge we will lose. Get rid today, and even with someone from the youth set up in charge, we might have the freedom to get a result. 

At home this squad of players should fear no one. 

Just now, av1 said:

100%. Bruce is on record as saying Middlesbrough are favourites for promotion. He also said in his interview yesterday that Tuesday night was a night for experience. 

Now we all know what that means. If the bloke goes all defensive against the team in 22nd, Tuesday night will be another embarrassing 90 minutes of defensive dross, cowering to the might of Middlesbrough hoping that the Scottish Cafu produces a "moment of magic"

With Bruce in Charge we will lose. Get rid today, and even with someone from the youth set up in charge, we might have the freedom to get a result. 

At home this squad of players should fear no one. 

Nailed on that he will start Hutton and gabby with jedi and whelan sitting in front of the back 4 . Utter madness prolonging this !

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Nailed on that he will start Hutton and gabby with jedi and whelan sitting in front of the back 4 . Utter madness prolonging this !

Yep. The team on Tuesday will be an embarrassment. 

I can see something like this:

Hutton  Chester  Terry  Taylor

Jedi               Whelan 

Adomah      Snodgrass      Gabby

Hogan 

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce is in damage limitation mode. He knows being sacked is on the horizon because everything he has tried, from 'tactics' to man management strategies, has not worked. As a result his focus is to build one big narrative he can use as an excuse for when he does leave - we've seen him suggest he hasn't been given enough resources (which is ridiculous when you look at who he has signed) and continuous digs at the fans. When he does leave he will no doubt blame lack of support and unrealistic expectations from both the chairman and the fans. 

He's also been working on his media chums to push that narrative. 

Against Bristol City the Sky commentators were bringing out the excuses for him - "Had to balance the books this summer", "Is concerned his players are too happy with defeat" etc.

If he was foreign he would be getting slated by the media.

38 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If there's a market for next boss, (which there probably is as I havent checked), I'd lump a tenner on Dean Smith. It seems the easy choice and would get the majority of fans onside as he's "one of us".

Villa dont generally do innovative, exciting or ambitious appointments.

Not good to base the next manager on a single game but the way Smith set out Brentford yesterday I would have him as manager a heartbeat.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Exactly it will be the fickle fans, unreasonable expectations, not given enough time, not supported this summer in the transfer market, clearing up the previous regime / managers mess, etc....speech.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly it will be the fickle fans, unreasonable expectations, not given enough time, not supported this summer in the transfer market, clearing up the previous regime / managers mess, etc....speech.

Similar to his departure at Sunderland everybody and everything will be to blame but him !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Edited by Eastie
Repost

Â