Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I see what you see.

but my interpretation is much different from yours.

but I also see a Harry Redknapp team that has emulated a Gary Rowett team....so maybe he didn't need much time to explain it.

This Blues team was above us until a Rowett left and brought in a manager that tried to    Introduce a brand of football the players could not capitalise from.....just like we had a RDM team that our players could not capitalise with his theories.

you can have all the gameplans and systems in creation.......but you have to have the players to play them.

I can't believe you still don't see it TRO !!! You still say it's the players ? Yet Redknapp had Blues on the front foot after s week ? Because that's how Redknapp plays - like Sherwood for an example from our recent past. And we are How Bruce wants us to play. He doesn't want us to do it as badly as we do, but doesn't seem to appreciate - or does he ? - that much of it is due to instruction.

Game after game after game he sets us up incredibly negatively,

I think he knows it too - my hope is he has only ever been interested in instilling resilience and defensive solidity for this season.

Endless long goal kicks to two foot tall Hogan ? Instruction.

Lansbury never past halfway ? Instruction.

Adomah always looking to stay near Hutton rather than ever turn and go  ? Instruction.

Fivd across midfield with nobody near Hogan ? Instruction.

Its been like it for thirty games. If it ISNT by instruction he is failing miserably. However I think it is, I think he has (over) priorised defence, and I think he will alter it and be more progressive next year.

First game of the season will show us . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

I agree with you on many things but think hourihane offers us far far more than bacuna 

I am not a Bacuna fan, so it would not take much persuading me.....but Steve Bruce has already said he gives me more energy, thats his opinion.

I am surprised at Hourihane ,I was expecting him to dominate the ball more.....but its still early days.

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I can't believe you still don't see it TRO !!! You still say it's the players ? Yet Redknapp had Blues on the front foot after s week ? Because that's how Redknapp plays - like Sherwood for an example from our recent past. And we are How Bruce wants us to play. He doesn't want us to do it as badly as we do, but doesn't seem to appreciate - or does he ? - that much of it is due to instruction.

I think he knows it too - my hope is he has only ever been interested in instilling resilience and defensive solidity for this season.

Adomah always looking to stay near Hutton rather than ever turn and go  ? Instruction.

Its been like it for thirty games. If it ISNT by instruction he is failing miserably. However I think it is, I think he has (over) priorised defence, and I think he will alter it and be more progressive next year.

If you are asking me has he set this up to become hard to beat, i would say yes.......If you are then saying he has set us up to play this poor, I would say no......its a by product.

He doesn't want us playing this bad.

In my view, its not the same.....perhaps you think its envitable, I am not so sure its is.

30 minutes ago, terrytini said:

So Gabby comes on wins a tackle the crowd go in to raptures and then we start playing......?

Even Tony Morley made a reference to that......These players haven't been with us long enough to know the passion.....most of the Blues lads have.

Harry has been with them for one game......do you remember Steve's first few games?.....manager bounce, yes,no.

I think that has always been his plan ( in bold)after taking over in a relegation threatened position.

Look it can get tiresome, defending the manager.....lets change him again and see how we get on.

I still say we haven't got the players to play how we want.

Just take Lansbury and Hourihane.....this is an observation, not necessarily a criticism.....but they have added a modicum of improvement, they do not dominate the ball. Jed sits infront of the Back four......a man mountain, but that leaves the offensive side short, which he has trouble contributing too there again an observation not a criticism.#

( probably our best player to day in what he does best)

There are players we have that are getting praise, but they can't do it with out unnecessary help, we can't play with 15 players.

some of our players are expecting others to do it for them.

We say the 2 CB's are playing great......Take Jed out......Bang!!!......different ball game.

I am not having a go.....don't get me wrong.....good result, but we have a long way to go......with or without Steve Bruce.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Derby games are rarely pretty. We won that's all that matters. Bruce knows there is still a hell of a lot of work to be done in the summer. 

This

The game was poor today but I can forget that in a derby... the result is king.

There is still a massive amount of wok to do though. We are solid defensively (most of the time) but going forward we appear devoid of ideas.

Still, we beat the scum so I'm not going to worry about it today :)

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

And who signed these players?

Oh we are jumping to another angle now.....could be him, could be Steve Round......but SB must have rubber stamped it, must be his fault.

Is it game of just keep going until you can blame him for something......its convenient, just blame the manager, we have had enough of them another on might as well take the blame.

Do you blame Klopp for signing Benteke, seems ok now at palace.....Klopp must be rubbish.

Give him a break mate, who ever is at fault, not every decision will be right.

This is a much bigger job than you imagine.

ps He is not going anywhere, so my advice is embrace it or drive yourself nuts.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh we are jumping to another angle now.....could be him, could be Steve Round......but SB must have rubber stamped it, must be his fault.

Is it game of just keep going until you can blame him for something......its convenient, just blame the manager, we have had enough of them another on might as well take the blame.

Do you blame Klopp for signing Benteke, seems ok now at palace.....Klopp must be rubbish.

Give him a break mate, who ever is at fault, not every decision will be right.

This is a much bigger job than you imagine.

ps He is not going anywhere, so my advice is embrace it or drive yourself nuts.

TRO I like a lot of what you say, it's always well put with reasons behind it, even if I don't always agree with everything. However I have to say that your defence of Steve Bruce does at times sound a little on the blind faith side. Some posters are criticised for not being able to see the good in Steve Bruce but at times you seem to see only good. Please don't take this wrongly, but no manager is perfect, even I get somethings wrong from the comfort of my screen.......

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not a Bacuna fan, so it would not take much persuading me.....but Steve Bruce has already said he gives me more energy, thats his opinion.

I know Its an old cliché mate, but I'd run about like a dick if you put me in the team. Thats what is beginning to worry me about Bruce. Blues are bloody atrocious. Would any other team in this division have paid small heath the respect of playing a dedicated defensive midfielder (Jedinak) and play some prat like Bacuna just because he "has energy"?

I don't like moaning after a win, but since it became mathematically impossible to go up this year I've started viewing our matches slightly differently. Its all about next year, im looking for something that will give me confidence going into next year and I'm seeing an awful to worry about with Bruce. 

Gabby Agbonlahor changed the game for us today because he looked more hungry than anyone else (no jokes please). Gabby **** Agbonlahor, a guy that hasn't given a shit for 5yrs. 

The way we set up today was poor. He attitude of half the team was pathetic. This is a squad that has had £100m spent on it over the last few years and I'd be happy to replace half of them. The question is, do want Bruce spending the next £100m?

I'm beginning to have my doubts. 

If Bruce was going to set us up as a team that scraps and plays defensively surely he would have signed players to fit this mould?

Instead he brought progressive players to our team but they do not fit this current style. I hope like someone said that he plans on setting us up differently next season to accommodate the players we've signed.

If nothing changes in the next 6-8 months it would just prove that he is a manager that can only work at a smaller sized club with a smaller sized budget.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

So Terry what is your point?

• If the music was screechy and shit, would you blame Simon Rattle.....no, the MusIcians have to take responsibility for their part.
  • Is it case of just having a pop at me for defending HIM when I have already said that I see the same football as all those complaining about him, or what.
  • He has already said himself that we do not take care of the ball enough, so is well aware of the problem of spectacle.
  • Steve has already said today it will be a busy summer, what does that tell you Terry?.....job far from complete.....yet you still argue manager.
  • He has openly said he has set us up as "Hard to beat" , yet you still bang the same drum.
  • How do you know that some of the things you call Instruction, literally are, its just your take on it.....it may well be, but equally it may well be  a part of hard to beat.Why don't you write to him and ask him?
  • You then go on to explain, you think you know what it is and form a point of mitigation of which I am comfortable with.....you then go back again and partially threaten his first game of the season.....6-0 or else oh and 75% possession......ok I am teasing a tad.
  • It was only in some of your most recent posts, SB seemed to have secured some of your support, now this.

Its early days mate....It is obvious for me, He is not as trusting with what he has got to play open attacking football, rightly or wrongly.That is what I believe. I think he see's too many losing the ball too easily when taking on an opponent and puts us on the defensive too often.

For anyone to suggest he don't know what he is doing, for me, is ludicrous.....you might not like it......but he knows what he is doing.

Edited by TRO

I thinks its fair to say, that in the fullness of time if things are still looking the same, then there is a case to answer.

With one window, no pre-season and and incomplete season where the fixtures just keep hitting you. I think some of the criticism is a bit judgmental.

I think he needs more time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thinks its fair to say, that in the fullness of time if things are still looking the same, then there is a case to answer.

With one window, no pre-season and and incomplete season where the fixtures just keep hitting you. I think some of the criticism is a bit judgmental.

I think he needs more time.

Normally i would agree. But today, and in other games this season, he has gone intona game with much better players than the opposition and played unbelievably defensive. 

Forgot today was a derby. Blues are Terrible. We were under the cosh for long periods. I even saw us get played of park by Burton over xmas because of hi pragmatic style. That isn't going to change. 

What will more transfer windows change? In Lansbury and Hourihane he purchased 2 players that regularly got infront of the strikers at that there previous clubs, here they are on tight reins. So what happens in the summer? The bloke could go out and Cristiano Ronaldo, but if he doesn't let him play nothing will change. 

I agree mate that Rome wasn't built in day, but Bruce needs to change his approach or nothing will change

24 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

TRO I like a lot of what you say, it's always well put with reasons behind it, even if I don't always agree with everything. However I have to say that your defence of Steve Bruce does at times sound a little on the blind faith side. Some posters are criticised for not being able to see the good in Steve Bruce but at times you seem to see only good. Please don't take this wrongly, but no manager is perfect, even I get somethings wrong from the comfort of my screen.......

Hey Dave hold on a minute.....you could be right, I could be wrong and I will be the first to come on here and say so.

and incidently, I have often chuckled at Blind Faith, so I know exactly what you are saying.

Look.....without all the explanations and reasoning.....Despite watching football at present fit for the rubbish tip.....I still think he is the right manager for us ant this time and I think he will get us up.....but I don't know when.

He has just said today he will be having a busy summer, so that tell me many changes.

Its not Blind Faith Dave......rightly or wrongly.....I still don't think this team is balanced and I still don't think enough of our players dominate their position and dominate the ball.

and futhermore, I do not support stability, just for the sake of it......but I do think we desperately need some.

This job is not too big for Steve Bruce and he has plenty of support in Steve Round etc.....But what I do feel passionately about, is its not a job that can be turned around as quick as some of us seem to think is can......such is where we have come from.

Just my Opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Well, by his own info, 5-3-2/3-5-2 is a favoured formation of his?

Perhaps he needs a few teaks to personnel and drill to get this right.

It is a formation I also like alot, when done right it can be extremely defensively and offensively.

37 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know Its an old cliché mate, but I'd run about like a dick if you put me in the team. Thats what is beginning to worry me about Bruce. Blues are bloody atrocious. Would any other team in this division have paid small heath the respect of playing a dedicated defensive midfielder (Jedinak) and play some prat like Bacuna just because he "has energy"?

I don't like moaning after a win, but since it became mathematically impossible to go up this year I've started viewing our matches slightly differently. Its all about next year, im looking for something that will give me confidence going into next year and I'm seeing an awful to worry about with Bruce. 

Gabby Agbonlahor changed the game for us today because he looked more hungry than anyone else (no jokes please). Gabby **** Agbonlahor, a guy that hasn't given a shit for 5yrs. 

The way we set up today was poor. He attitude of half the team was pathetic. This is a squad that has had £100m spent on it over the last few years and I'd be happy to replace half of them. The question is, do want Bruce spending the next £100m?

I'm beginning to have my doubts. 

I am actually beginning to have my doubts about certain players, but AV ....I don't want to go in to that to cause further distraction and ambiguity.

Edited by TRO

Bruce admitted again today we were awful, i'm not sure how long I can hear him say this before he has to take responsibility for it.

On the one hand at least he isn't sugar coating how bad our overall play is but sooner or later he needs to do something about it or accept he's not the man for the job.

He has largely sorted the defence out, the back 4 is basically picking itself now. But if we can't get goals from midfield next season theres no way we are getting the play offs unless Kodija and Hogan can both hit 20+ goals.

Edited by AVFCDAN

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well, by his own info, 5-3-2/3-5-2 is a favoured formation of his?

Perhaps he needs a few teaks to personnel and drill to get this right.

It is a formation I also like alot, when done right it can be extremely defensively and offensively.

Its interesting today on WM how Tony Morley said "there is too much Rubbish spoke about formations"

Me.......I remember Derek Dougan saying " Its 1 -10 isn't it?

When I used to go in my earlier days.....we talked about who played well, not what system we played, it was never mentioned.

ps whenever I read about systems the proviso is always.....If you have the players to play it.

pps wait for it.....What does Tony Morley Know, he's a dinosaur.:)

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Bruce admitted again today we were awful, i'm not sure how long I can hear him say this before he has to take responsibility for it.

On the one hand at least he isn't sugar coating how bad our overall play is but sooner or later he needs to do something about it or accept he's not the man for the job.

He has largely sorted the defence out, the back 4 is basically picking itself now. But if we can't get goals from midfield next season theres no way we are getting the play offs unless Kodija and Hogan can both hit 20+ goals.

So if you are saying ...if you are saying?

The defence is ok, the frontline is ok.....I presume you are saying ,its just midfield.

16 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

There will come a time when he has too.....I think by merely admitting as much, he is someway to doing that.....He knows he has to fix it.

Â