Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On the evidence of today alone.....unless I see a dramatic change in our ability to affect a game.

or in fact we sign some players that give us that necessary injection to do so.

I don't see this team going up next season.

We seem to have landed on a platform that says we can go from winning to losing in a click of your fingers and back again.

I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Or end up like Derby Fulham Huddersfield Reading Leeds

Teams that have managers that play a specific system to get the best out of their players

or maybe their players were better than ours in the first place to be able to respond.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Serious question here: let's just say we sacked Bruce and got someone else in - does anyone believe that there'd actually be drastic improvement if we got [insert decent but realistic manager here] in?

This isn't an argument for keeping Bruce by the way - at this point I don't really care if he stays or goes. I just can't see us doing well under anyone, at least not in the short-term. Nothing we try works.

Hang on a second. Have you not realised the best manager we will ever have is the next one we will appoint and then give it 10-15 games and we will all be calling for his head.

Sorry just a reality check.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TRO said:

On the evidence of today alone.....unless I see a dramatic change in our ability to affect a game.

or in fact we sign some players that give us that necessary injection to do so.

I don't see this team going up next season.

We seem to have landed on a platform that says we can go from winning to losing in a click of your fingers and back again.

I hope I am wrong.

TRO I respect your views but for me this is just as much a daft knee jerk reaction as those calling for Bruce's head.

They say he's not good enough,, you say the players are not - yet all we did was lose a game ?! With 10 men, against a side playing very well......

IMO both the Team and Manager have shown enough since Bruce arrived to suggest that both they and him ARE capable of going up next year.

We would be helped by 3 or 4 squad players. We would be helped by a settled side and system. But without either he - and they - have 48 points from 32 games ( a decent sample size) at 1.5 per game .......and he inherited the titanic.

Had he had a whole season and done that, given where we were, most reasonable fans would've applauded the effort of both Manager and players. 

And arguably the most important part of the team, the midfield, has only had half that time together.

Dont join in the panic ! The players are not great, but they are good enough, the Manager isn't great, but he is good enough.

"IMO both the Team and Manager have shown enough since Bruce arrived to suggest that both they and him ARE capable of going up next year."

they really haven't. 

there's been very little to suggest the team or manager are good enough to get us up. Performances have consistently been poor and results have given the type of points that would mean we wouldn't even make the playoffs. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

"IMO both the Team and Manager have shown enough since Bruce arrived to suggest that both they and him ARE capable of going up next year."

they really haven't. 

there's been very little to suggest the team or manager are good enough to get us up. Performances have consistently been poor and results have given the type of points that would mean we wouldn't even make the playoffs. 

!!!!

IMO ??

And in yours they haven't.

You can't state your opinion as fact, and you can't state my opinion as incorrect !!!!

Just now, terrytini said:

!!!!

IMO ??

And in yours they haven't.

You can't state your opinion as fact, and you can't state my opinion as incorrect !!!!

It's a fact that the point average over a season wouldn't make the playoffs. 

I can't claim it's a fact but i would imagine my opinion on performances is shared by a vast majority of villa fans. 

Since Bruce took over the wreckage of Villa he and these players have 14 Wins and 6 draws.

In that same period Benitez who had a side that only barely got relegated and with whom he worked an entire prep season has 18 Wins and 7 draws.

In my OPINION that's enough to suggest they'll go up.

If someone else thinks different fine.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's a fact that the point average over a season wouldn't make the playoffs. 

I can't claim it's a fact but i would imagine my opinion on performances is shared by a vast majority of villa fans. 

Yes and it's a fact that I weigh 23 stone and am 6 foot tall. 

It doesn't alter my opinion that they've done enough to show they are CAPABLE of getting promoted next year.

And whatever you "imagine" your opinion to be shared by is just that, your imagination. It's not only non verifiable it's irrelevant to what I said.

Look I've no problem if you don't want him, but how about sticking to saying WHY rather than trying to TELL me my opinion is wrong !!!

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes and it's a fact that I weigh 23 stone and am 6 foot tall. 

It doesn't alter my opinion that they've done enough to show they are CAPABLE of getting promoted next year.

And whatever you "imagine" your opinion to be shared by is just that, your imagination. It's not only non verifiable it's irrelevant to what I said.

Look I've no problem if you don't want him, but how about sticking to saying WHY rather than trying to TELL me my opinion is wrong !!!

You seem to be getting very defensive. I just disagree that we or the manager look capable of going up. 

We don't control games. We don't score enough goals. We rely far too heavily on one player. No matter what formation we try it seems to look the same. 

The style of play Bruce has implemented in his time here doesn't look capable of consistently getting the points needed for promotion. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You seem to be getting very defensive. I just disagree that we or the manager look capable of going up. 

We don't control games. We don't score enough goals. We rely far too heavily on one player. No matter what formation we try it seems to look the same. 

The style of play Bruce has implemented in his time here doesn't look capable of consistently getting the points needed for promotion. 

What an infuriating 'debate'...I'm not defensive at all !!!....just irritated and I've said why.

I couldn't care less what you think, but I objected to you basically trying to tell me as if it were fact that my opinion was wrong - as if you were correcting me over an inaccurately stated fact. Maybe it's because I'm careful with words I look for the same elsewhere.

If I say in my view Torquay is a nice place your reply can't be "no it isn't"...... I haven't asserted as a fact it's a nice place so to counter assert as fact would be inappropriate.

Its a small point but it gets on my wick.

As to the views you hold, feel free. As I said, in my opinion both the team and manager have shown they are good enough to be capable of going up. A Post in response to TRO  who said he thought the players were not good enough.

You think what they've shown is that they are incapable of going up. Fine.

As for what you think about the style and your views on how we play, great, well done, but I'm not interested.

Edited by terrytini

7 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Or end up like Derby Fulham Huddersfield Reading Leeds

Teams that have managers that play a specific system to get the best out of their players

We are not gonna end up like one of them. Bruce is the only manager who has stabilised the club and yet people want to create more instability in the club.

Who we gonna get? Pearson? Or how about that cretin pardew?

Bruce deserves to be given next season. If he starts as poorly as RDM did then yes then he may have to be removed.  But I feel very confident that we will be a lot better next season despite the recent three results.

We played a game with 10 men for 70 minutes yesterday for God's sake.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

What an infuriating 'debate'...I'm not defensive at all !!!....just irritated and I've said why.

I couldn't care less what you think, but I objected to you basically trying to tell me as if it were fact that my opinion was wrong - as if you were correcting me over an inaccurately stated fact. Maybe it's because I'm careful with words I look for the same elsewhere.

If I say in my view Torquay is a nice place your reply can't be "no it isn't"...... I haven't asserted as a fact it's a nice place so to counter assert as fact would be inappropriate.

Its a small point but it gets on my wick.

As to the views you hold, feel free. As I said, in my opinion both the team and manager have shown they are good enough to be capable of going up. A Post in response to TRO  who said he thought the players were not good enough.

You think what they've shown is that they are incapable of going up. Fine.

As for what you think about the style and your views on how we play, great, well done, but I'm not interested.

You chose to take it that way. 

I just disagreed. Sorry i didn't put IMO but surely it goes without saying that it's all opinions on a fan message board. 

The only fact was the average points per game not being good enough. 

And the end of your post sounds very much like every other super fan I've read on here regarding the likes of Lambert and Lerner. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We are not gonna end up like one of them. Bruce is the only manager who has stabilised the club and yet people want to create more instability in the club.

Who we gonna get? Pearson? Or how about that cretin pardew?

Bruce deserves to be given next season. If he starts as poorly as RDM did then yes then he may have to be removed.  But I feel very confident that we will be a lot better next season despite the recent three results.

We played a game with 10 men for 70 minutes yesterday for God's sake.

He probably does deserve to start next season. And Xia has shown he won't mess around if it's not going right. 

I predict Bruce won't be here next Xmas. I just hope the season can still be salvaged. The problem will be a new manager, needing new players and more time. Which is why for me it's worth the gamble of bringing in a new manager in the summer 

The way I see it is when we had something to play for we were methodical and did what was needed to eek out wins.  We relied too much on Kodija and had no plan B.  The draw with Burton killed off the slight hope of making the play offs.  Since then we have been on the beach and the 2 teams we have played needed the points.  Throw in 2 games in 3 days and you get the results and performances we have just witnessed.

Sunday will tell us more as you would hope the players will be up for it and Bruce will know it's importance.   Should we produce another damp squib then I would seriously start to have fears.

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

The way I see it is when we had something to play for we were methodical and did what was needed to eek out wins.  We relied too much on Kodija and had no plan B.  The draw with Burton killed off the slight hope of making the play offs.  Since then we have been on the beach and the 2 teams we have played needed the points.  Throw in 2 games in 3 days and you get the results and performances we have just witnessed.

Sunday will tell us more as you would hope the players will be up for it and Bruce will know it's importance.   Should we produce another damp squib then I would seriously start to have fears.

But the performance against QPR was very similar. It was awful. 

I don't think the players have switched off. I think this is what happens when you're a team that fails to control games and relies heavily on a natural goal scorer. It can grind out results or it can result in a loss. That's the issue. Our style of play will not get enough positive results for promotion. 

• Like 1

Â