Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Well I hope you're good Mr Wagner,  to be honest in terms of comparisons you haven't got much in our recent history to be troubled about. I had hoped for Rowett but the best of luck to you.  There were worse choices.  You represent a gamble I hope to **** it pays off

Is this done or something?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Well I hope you're good Mr Wagner,  to be honest in terms of comparisons you haven't got much in our recent history to be troubled about. I had hoped for Rowett but the best of luck to you.  There were worse choices.  You represent a gamble I hope to **** it pays off

Huh?  What did I miss?

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

What's this about required win rates for the new manager?  Let's take a looksee.

Points required to get into playoffs in past 7 seasons
15/16 - 74pts
14/15 - 78
13/14 - 72
12/13 - 68
11/12 - 75
10/11 - 75
09/10 - 70

1. Maximum - 78pts
2. Average - 73
3. Minimum - 68

Games left - 35
Points so far - 10

To at least reach the points required in the above scenarios
1. 68pts required (17 wins = 51pts + 17) = 48.6% win rate
2. 63pts (14 wins = 42pts + 21) = 40.0%
3. 58pts (12 wins = 36pts + 22) = 34.3%

So even in the most difficult year to reach the playoffs, 14/15, at this point in the season we would not have needed a 50% win rate.  That's not to say it will be remotely easy to do.  Just that it's not quite as insurmountable as is being made out.  Plus I still probably foolishly think this squad once it is used right will steamroll sides too. 

Sorry, what are the plus numbers?

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

What's this about required win rates for the new manager?  Let's take a looksee.

Points required to get into playoffs in past 7 seasons
15/16 - 74pts
14/15 - 78
13/14 - 72
12/13 - 68
11/12 - 75
10/11 - 75
09/10 - 70

1. Maximum - 78pts
2. Average - 73
3. Minimum - 68

Games left - 35
Points so far - 10

To at least reach the points required in the above scenarios
1. 68pts required (17 wins = 51pts + 17) = 48.6% win rate
2. 63pts (14 wins = 42pts + 21) = 40.0%
3. 58pts (12 wins = 36pts + 22) = 34.3%

So even in the most difficult year to reach the playoffs, 14/15, at this point in the season we would not have needed a 50% win rate.  That's not to say it will be remotely easy to do.  Just that it's not quite as insurmountable as is being made out.  Plus I still probably foolishly think this squad once it is used right will steamroll sides too. 

Isn't that not losing a game though? Or have I misread....Surely most teams will end up with at least 7/8 defeats. 

Edited by Mammoth10

Just now, Woodytom said:

Sorry, what are the plus numbers?

Getting draws with the remaining games.  It's all based around the minimum win percentage based on the games remaining.

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wagner would have to be absolutely mental to rule himself out. It doesn't mean we are interested. 

Not really we are in such a bigger mess. He could ruin his career like the last four managers! 

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wagner would have to be absolutely mental to rule himself out. It doesn't mean we are interested. 

Not really we are in such a bigger mess. He could ruin his career like the last four managers! 

1 minute ago, Mammoth10 said:

Isn't that not losing a game though? Or have I misread....

That's true, but it's also drawing a hell of a lot.  I'd gladly swap out a few draws for losses if I was also swapping out a few draws for wins.  In that sense you'd be increasing the win percentage.  I was trying to demonstrate the minimum win percentage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Right I get it. Your stats are a bit flawed then as we're not going 35 games unbeaten are we?

That's not what I'm trying to demonstrate.  See post above.

Just now, BOF said:

That's not what I'm trying to demonstrate.  See post above.

Ok, first of all I appreciate the effort. I tried to work it out myself but I couldn't be arsed.

However, they're completely unrealistic.

For instance, I think it's more feasible for us to gain a 60% win ratio than us to gain a 40% ratio but remain unbeaten. I get what your saying in that 'it's possible', but in terms of likelihood, the chances are very very slim indeed.