Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

57 minutes ago, AJ said:

Despite good intentions, this might piss him off. Some people tend to get defensive about what people do to their national flags.

I'm not in the picture, so Dr T can hand out lifetime bans from Villa Park to others.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Some people tend to get defensive about what people do to their national flags.

Yep , like Tibetans  , when China changed it to their flag ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah like Tibetans  when China changed it to their flag ...

you mean changed from a slavery society ruled by a monk leader, when the skins of the slavery were used to make drums in early 20th century?

2 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

you mean changed from a slavery society ruled by a monk leader, when the skins of the slavery were used to make drums in early 20th century?

It was a tongue in check comment  ....

but I don't think you'll win any arguments on the inter web that China are doing Tibet a favour tbh ....even if you have given them a blinding railway link and lots of neon lights for their  buildings :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DoubtGin said:

I like this guy.

yep, i'm buying into this cult of personality as well. he's a sort of folk hero. his tweets are really amusing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but I don't think you'll win any arguments on the inter web that China are doing Tibet a favour tbh ....even if you have given them a blinding railway link and lots of neon lights for their  buildings :) 

Depending on how you look at it, mate. If things are so easy to reach a conclusion, everyone can get a PhD degree in History/Politics from Youtube or so-called University of Inter Web.

I personally have been in Tibet a few times for tourism, for studying, for charity work. I shared my student dorm with 6 people in Uni, 2 of them were from Tibet (one from poor family and one from rich-ish). I have seen (my personally experience, rather than 'stories' from internet :D) something good, something bad. No one can reach a one-sided conclusion on this matter, defo not from biased (either way) online materials.

A few years ago, someone tried to pay me 50 dollars a hour to join their protest team for so-called Tibet freedom (they want Chinese faces in their team you know...). One guy from that group who looked like european (French or Italian I cannot be sure) asked me to raise a flag that has a world map with some markers on it. I asked that guy: do you know where Tibet is? He pointed, somewhere near Uzebekstan first, then Mongolia, then Vietnam. I pity him.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Depending on how you look at it, mate. If things are so easy to reach a conclusion, everyone can get a PhD degree in History/Politics from Youtube or so-called University of Inter Web.

I personally have been in Tibet a few times for tourism, for studying, for charity work. I shared my student dorm with 6 people in Uni, 2 of them were from Tibet (one from poor family and one from rich-ish). I have seen (my personally experience, rather than 'stories' from internet :D) something good, something bad. No one can reach a one-sided conclusion on this matter, defo not from biased (either way) online materials.

A few years ago, someone tried to pay me 50 dollars a hour to join their protest team for so-called Tibet freedom (they want Chinese faces in their team you know...). One guy from that group who looked like european (French or Italian I cannot be sure) asked me to raise a flag that has a world map with some markers on it. I asked that guy: do you know where Tibet is? He pointed, somewhere near Uzebekstan first, then Mongolia, then Vietnam. I pity him.

For the record I've also been to Tibet so your stories from the Internet line can be filed under "fail " :D

Needless to say the locals aren't quite so scared to tell a westerner how they feel , if I didn't already know first hand from the presence of soldiers on just about every roof top and patrols through the town .

tbf the Chinese investment there has clearly improved / is starting to improve  the standard of living .... But like I say you'll have a hard job convincing anyone that China is there for Tibets own good 

But this isn't the "Richard Gere free Tibet"  thread so let's go back to the footie related stuff ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

yep, i'm buying into this cult of personality as well. he's a sort of folk hero. his tweets are really amusing.

It isn't actually him though is it ?

isnt it a PA or something that maintains the account ? Or is Tony dictating to him what to post ? 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

so your stories from the Internet line can be filed under "epic fail " :D

Which story I shared in my post are you questioning? I am curious. If you are referring to '50 dollars an hour story', I would love to send you the link to my photo on that (happened to me in Canberra) - A few friends of mine also had that experience in Australia/France and US and I can find you some blogs on that (you may not believe but it is up to you really).

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf the Chinese investment there has clearly improved / is starting to improve  the standard of living .... But like I say you'll have a hard job convincing anyone that China is there for Tibets own good 

Why do I need to convince anyone that 'China is there for Tibets own good'? What did I say that made you think that I was attemping to convince anyone on this matter (i.e. everything is perfect in Tibet)?

That argument itself it quite amusing really - First you have to define the 'own good'. Do you mean returning back to Slavery system? Or you mean 'anti-modernization'? Or are you referring to 'the presence of soldiers on just about every roof top and patrols through the town'. Since you said you have been to Tibet before, do you know why there are even presence of soldiers there? You heard of those terriorist attack there some years ago? 

As I said, Tibet issue is quite complex and there are good things and bad things from my own experience. I didn't attempt to convince you one side or another (apologies if you thought so).

BTW: this has nothing to do with this thread and let's settle here. I should have not replied to your post at the first place. My bad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It isn't actually him though is it ?

isnt it a PA or something that maintains the account ? Or is Tony dictating to him what to post ? 

is that right/ i hadn't heard that...it seems like its actually him...either way, theres a developing cult of personality here, especially when things start to go our way again

I went to a" free Tibet" rally once. I was so disappointed nobody was handing out small countries.

Boom tish.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 3

Â