Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Then maybe it isn't mentioned because the real story never went public?

That press report was manipulated to suit the book.

If that report was true....Why was NRC not fined?.....furthermore 2 players who witnessed it, told me.

The point is what we are drifting off......It happens in football....its a highly charged contact sport with young  males.

My point is.....To pick one manager out for it is unfair and downright selective.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Thats a ridiculous arguement refering to your view of a "ridiculous comparison"

Its their character we are referring to not their football management abilities.....the 2 are quite different.

Precisely.

Plus - didn't Jose Mourinho poke the eye of Tito Vilanova of Barcelona whilst coach at Madrid?

Does that detract from his managerial abilities, a m ole?

Does that make him unfit to employ?

If rumours are correct, Manchester United don't think so.

Just now, TRO said:

That press report was manipulated to suit the book.

If that report was true....Why was NRC not fined?.....furthermore 2 players who witnessed it told me.

The point is what we are drifting off......It happens in football.

My point is.....To pick one manager out for it is unfair and downright selective.

Yes, I'm not questioning your version of events, I'm responding to your statement that "those incidents are never brought up when they change jobs". It was never brought up about O'Neill because the story that everyone had heard was that it was a minor 6 of one, half a dozen the other incident - whether that is true or not.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a ridiculous arguement refering to your view of a "ridiculous comparison"

Its their character we are referring to not their football management abilities.....the 2 are quite different.

Que?

So what does their similar character have to do with how much of a success Pearson would be here if the two aren't linked?

48 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I recall Clough sending a player home from training for missing an easy shot at goal. He also turned up to Trevor Francis' signing holding a squash racket.

Alex Ferguson once drove to Aberdeen's training ground and a player passed him in his car. Ferguson fined the player.

Are they nutjobs?

The hate for Pearson reminds me of the hate for literally every other manager linked with the club. I remember Benitez wasn't good enough (a Champions League winner). He was good enough for Real Madrid though.

I like Moyes but he hasn't managed in the lower divisions in ages. Pearson is pretty fresh from the division. Given the TV money, we need to get out of the Championship quickly. If Pearson could do that, you don't have to keep him forever. West Ham booted Allardyce for Bilic and it's worked.

Eddie Howe's understanding of the Championship is a reason I like him, but I suspect that this club would end up chewing him into pieces and making him a nervous wreck.

I think some of our supporters need to start supporting things like ballet, synchronized swimming, golf etc...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Person's (Championship) Leicester were not a 'budget' squad when they broke the rules and had an unfair advantage over their rivals. What they did once they were in the PL is neither here nor there: the promotion success is undermined by the squad having had an unfair advantage. Pearson's record elsewhere is abysmal at best and one decent run in a relegation battle is hardly strong enough evidence that he will be a success. He is a gamble and, added to his off-the-field antics, is not one worth taking.

Other than Norwich.....what did Ron Saunders do?

Apart from the very best.....who actually are in our bracket that win things at every club they visit?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kingman said:

To be fair NRC, like the rest of this squad needed a good ****!!!

not disputing that, He might have deserved it.

but that could be said about Pearsons incidents.......just trying to avoid double standards.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Precisely.

Plus - didn't Jose Mourinho poke the eye of Tito Vilanova of Barcelona whilst coach at Madrid?

Does that detract from his managerial abilities, a m ole?

Does that make him unfit to employ?

If rumours are correct, Manchester United don't think so.

Why are you comparing highly successful, if not the most successful managers in the game to Nigel Pearson? What does Jose Mourinho have to do with how well Pearson would do at Aston Villa? Because they're both a bit controversial?

Management is easier than I thought.

Edited by a m ole

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Que?

So what does their similar character have to do with how much of a success Pearson would be here if the two aren't linked?

We wasn't talking about their chances of success.

We was talking about how Pearson gets Character assassinated in some quarters in his quest to be our manager.....have you forgotten the point.

• Like 1

Well according to Wikipedia Pearson is already the new Villa manager. So it must be true cos I read it on the interweb.

Moyes or Grayson for me. With Grayson being the more realistic target. I have some reservations on Moyes but if it reconnects the fan base and gets everyone united behind a  experienced big name manager then I would be more than happy with that result. I still think Grayson would be a decent shout though. 

Just now, a m ole said:

Why are you comparing highly successful, if not the most successful managers in the game to Nigel Pearson?

Because you claim that Pearson is disqualified from managing this club due to his character.

Examples have then been furnished to you of people who have been massively successful at other clubs whilst being, to coin a phrase, 'pricks.'

Mourinho called Wenger a 'voyeur.' He went on to win a triple with Inter Milan, the first in Italian history.

When a journalist asked Ron Saunders if he he felt (with 2 or 3 games to go, IIRC) Villa would go on to win the 1981 title, he said, 'do you want to bet against us?'

Bit arrogant, no? Perhaps the kind of comment some posters feel would bring Villa into disrepute?

Yet he delivered the title and formed the basis for more.

Some posters here give no credit to Pearson and all to Ranieri. Yet when it comes to our own European Cup winning side, they all say that though Tony Barton lifted the cup, it was Saunders who built the team.

I find that odd.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

We was talking about how Pearson gets Character assassinated in some quarters in his quest to be our manager.....have you forgotten the point.

Because he has the character of an arsehole. Seriously, what is your point?

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Yes, I'm not questioning your version of events, I'm responding to your statement that "those incidents are never brought up when they change jobs". It was never brought up about O'Neill because the story that everyone had heard was that it was a minor 6 of one, half a dozen the other incident - whether that is true or not.

There is a rake of incidents from various managers over the years, but they don't carry them around with them to be judged by fans when they apply for jobs.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Because he has the character of an arsehole. Seriously, what is your point?

stop press.....stop press.....stop press

Breaking news.....Aston Villa have announced today that Nigel Pearson will not be taking over at Aston Villa.....due to being an Arsehole.

sorry the character of an Arsehole.

There its fixed

lets move on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, Heretic said:

Because you claim that Pearson is disqualified from managing this club due to his character.

Examples have then been furnished to you of people who have been massively successful at other clubs whilst being, to coin a phrase, 'pricks.'

Mourinho called Wenger a 'voyeur.' He went on to win a triple with Inter Milan, the first in Italian history.

When a journalist asked Ron Saunders if he he felt (with 2 or 3 games to go, IIRC) Villa would go on to win the 1981 title, he said, 'do you want to bet against us?'

Bit arrogant, no? Perhaps the kind of comment some posters feel would bring Villa into disrepute?

Yet he delivered the title and formed the basis for more.

Some posters here give no credit to Pearson and all to Ranieri. Yet when it comes to our own European Cup winning side, they all say that though Tony Barton lifted the cup, it was Saunders who built the team.

I find that odd.

Jesus **** Christ, talk about missing the point.

Pearson is 'disqualified' because he is not good enough of a manager to outweigh all the bullshit that he would bring to the club. Pearson is not going to win a 'triple' with us, he's not going to win the European cup. He might have being arrogant in common with Mourinho, Clough, Saunders - but those managers could back it up.

This is literally the most mental discussion I've had on here, and that is saying something.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

stop press.....stop press.....stop press

Breaking news.....Aston Villa have announced today that Nigel Pearson will not be taking over at Aston Villa.....due to being an Arsehole.

sorry the character of an Arsehole.

There its fixed

lets move on.

And also not good enough of a manager. We've been over this before.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Those two are the same point in a lot ways. Pearson's character will have a direct affect on his chances of success. The media don't like him, and they have the ability to influence the perception of him, his teams and his results. A section of the fanbase won't like him and that means that when he (like any manager inevitably will) has a run of poor results, he'll find himself criticised and under pressure and some of the players won't like him, either because they're cosseted prima donnas or because they respond better to the carrot than the stick, they'll also make life difficult. 

His ability to be liked directly affects his chances of success - in fact, in the modern era, the ability to have a character that represents the club and leads the way in setting behaviours and expectations is a key part of the modern job - coaches do most of the coaching, a huge part of the managers job is to motivate the club and the fans as much as it is to motivate the players.

• Like 2